Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello...
we are owners of 11 months old boxer named Hercules...(Hexx)...
Since we got him when he was 2 months old we are so confused about this neutering thing... some people say to do it and some people not to ... our vet said that it can prevent cancer later on... but our trainer was completely against it saying that it changes the dog's personality.... and that's what bothers us... our dog shows no agression or dominance... in contrary he is really submissive to other dogs... when we go to the park he is always bitten or chased by other dogs unless he plays with a malteese or other dog this size... so we really don't want him to become even more whimpy...
we undestand that it's better for him if we have no intentions to breed him...
but it'so hard to make that decision...
other thing is if so when to do it? ... one group of people says as soon as possible and the other says that he needs those hormones to mature and become an adult well balanced dog...and they advise to wait until he is about 16 months old...(actuallywhat is the maximum age that the dog can be still neutered?)
any piece of advice counts...please help us make this decision...
thank you for any comments

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Ive heard to wait until 18months! And there is no actual cut-off age lol The can be 10 and still be able to be neutered!

Ok this is my opinion(Im sure most on this board may disagree with me)....if you arent having any problems with him ie aggression, lifting his leg, ect they why change him? You will just have to be more careful with him and other dogs to prevent an accidental litter! You seem to have a pretty submissive dog even with his bits lol If he were my dog Id probably not get him neutered but thats just me!

Good luck with whatever you decide!

PS Ive also heard of people neutering them early(before 6 months) Ive actually came across a few people who send their pups home at 8 weeks already neutered/spayed and IMHO that is WAY to young!!

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I would agree on waiting till 18 months with a dog, anything else is too young for me to do it.  You can neuter at anytime, but this should give him the hormones he needs to mature.  I use the "moon signs" for picking the date on which I do my elective surgeries.  I have had not problems with swelling or bleeding while using these.  They recover quick and really don't seem to even know they've had the surgeries!  You can find these by googling "moon signs for castration"  I found a horse site that provided me with this information.

Good luck.

Nano

·
Registered
316 Posts
what are moon signs and how do you use them to determins surgery dates?

I have a girl boxer.  what age is appropriate to have her spayed?

·
Registered
220 Posts
I pulled this information off the interenet because I was interested in the statistics..........
"You need to schedule her appointment before her first heat cycle, the surgery should usually be done before six months of age. Several tragic things can happen to dogs who are not spayed. Quite often she will develop mammary cancer in her mid to later life. She has a near zero chance of this disease if she is spayed before her first heat, this increases to just under 10% chance after her first cycle, and increases yet again to about 25% chance after her second heat.

It is never too late however, if she is already gone through a cycle or more. The sooner the better. Spaying your dog is the best way to protect her longevity. A dog will come into heat about every six to eight months, some may very on either side of that estimate slightly. Her vulva and her nipples will swell and she will have some degree of bloody vaginal discharge.

She will stay in heat for three weeks and will be able to conceive for about 10 days. During this time she will discharge blood and stain whatever she sits on, she will need to urinate more frequently and therefore be outside more often, she will exude an odor to attract a mate and she will probably try to get out and find one. Though often she will not have to go to the trouble because a male dog will go to any length to get to a bitch in heat, often scaling six foot fences and cinder block walls. Eventually her organs will shrink to their pre-estrous size the first time or two she goes through heat, but as the tissue ages she will develop permanently enlarged mammary glands and vulva.

An older unspayed female dog is easy to spot and never looks as healthy as one who was fixed early on. A dog

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
The moon signs are related to phases of the moon.  I'm not exactly sure how it works, but it has certain dates that are recommended for elective surgeries.  It certainly doesn't hurt to use a recommended date on the schedule and I personally believe it works.  We always used to use it on weaning our foals and castrating the horses.  I used the one on the Stallings Paint Horses site.

Nano

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Having him neutered before the onset of puberty is best, especially to avoid some of the male habits you want to do without. Having him neutered will help decrease territoriality and aggression, marking, and wandering or roaming. It also almost completely eliminates the risk of prostate cancer, and completely eliminates the risk of testicular cancer. Well over half of the unaltered male dogs over the age of 5 will develop prostate enlargement or cancer.
If you wait until after your dog goes through puberty and begins developing some of the undesirable traits such as aggression, marking, and wandering and roaming before having him neutered, neutering may help with some of them but probably won't eliminate them.
There is no effect on their weight, size, or muscle/joint development with neutering. It also doesn't change their personality as far as playfulness, affection, etc. I would really need to question your trainer as to why he said it changes their personality? It does not turn dogs into whimps or make them more aggresive, so I really don't understand that comment at all.  It has also been proven to increase life span (because it decreases the risks of cancers, fights, roaming, etc.).
If it were me, I would have him neutered ASAP, since they start to mature at about six months or so. I've had two dogs neutered and I never had a whimpy dog or any problems health wise or personality wise with them. I neutered my last boy at 5 months. I personally believe it should be done before they start to mature because it will eliminate the  unwanted behaviors.
It only makes sense to neuter unless one is planning on breeding and is willing to do the recommended health testing and have the dog evaluated or compete in conformation shows and of course, the bitch should also undergo the same.
:chatterbox: Okay, Okay,.... I'm stepping off my soapbox now!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Lol Tootsie, we all need to get on the soapbox occasionally...Buck, my first boxer was not neutered, my ex refused, (THE MALE THING), we were fortunate, the traits that usually accompany that we never saw...He didn't have aggression, he wasn't territorial, he didn't wander & never marked in the house..OK, so we were lucky...Having said that, I still kept bringing up the subject as we had no intention of breeding, he had a limited registration which didn't allow that, so why would we? When we divorced I really pushed the issue as Buck was near to 5 yrs old & I was concerned for health reasons. Now I have no clue if it was ever done or not, but I am of the mindset it wasn't...At the time I felt if there wasn't any issues, there really was no reason for a male to be neutered, but since I have become more active on forums like this, I have changed my tune...God forbid, when something happens to Samson and I get another male, he will be neutered. As will any future females. I'm not a breeder, i don't want to go that route. My boxers are safer & healthier by having the surgery done....There are way too many boxers, dogs in general for that matter either wandering the streets or in shelters and a good portion of those are from indescriminate breeding.....
I would seriously question a trainer that says it could make Hexx a whimp..Any personality changes are for the better, not worse. They are the same lovely, playful babies we love to death...It's in their best interest to have it done....

Ok, now I'll get off the soapbox.....

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
[quote="1stboxer\";p=\"5701":20g5o5o1]what are moon signs and how do you use them to determins surgery dates?

I have a girl boxer.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
I personally agree with tootsie. Why keep them intact if you do not plan on being a responsible breeder. No need to keep him neutered. There are several pets in our local shelters with no homes because someone somewhere never neutered/spayed their animals. No use in adding to that number. I neuter/spay all my animals, esp becuase i never plan on breeding

1 - 11 of 11 Posts