Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, recently my boxer Saige has been having difficulty chewing her dog food. She picks it up, tries to chew, it falls out of her mouth, she tries again and the same thing happens. She goes through this a couple times then just completely gives up. I’m worried. We took her to the vet but they didn’t see anything that could be causing her to not be able to chew her food. Has anyone else had this issue with their dog? Any ideas how to get her to eat?

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I haven't had this happen but I guess there should be a couple questions.

How old is Saige?

Did the vet do a thorough job of checking her mouth?

Will she put other things in her mouth like toys, treats etc. and chew on them?

What is her diet? If it is a type of kibble will she eat a piece of chicken if you give it to her?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Saige is 10, and we tried giving her treats but she can’t chew them either. We feed her dry dog food(kibbles and bits) she usually would devour it. We’ve added wet food also. The vet checked her mouth and said it didn’t appear to have any swelling in the gums or abscess. She does have a lump on her throat which the vet took a sample of, we’re waiting to hear back from the lab results. She also mentioned this rare disease called masticatory myositis

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Saige is 10, and we tried giving her treats but she can’t chew them either. We feed her dry dog food(kibbles and bits) she usually would devour it. We’ve added wet food also. The vet checked her mouth and said it didn’t appear to have any swelling in the gums or abscess. She does have a lump on her throat which the vet took a sample of, we’re waiting to hear back from the lab results. She also mentioned this rare disease called masticatory myositis
I wonder if you could try to boil some chicken, or something the vet can recommend that would at least get some nutrition in her until they can resolve or diagnose what is wrong. Sorry I'm not much help. Good luck

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you.
The vet said to try blended foods, almost like baby food. We’re try that and hopefully something can be done to better treat her.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Welcome.
Hopefully the vet will be able to get you some results and other options quickly.
The blended food sounds like a viable option to solid food.
I know some people give ice cream as a treat.
There are dog ice cream treats we get for our boys on occasion from our local grocery store frozen food area - the coldness May make the swallowing more comfortable.

There may be options for getting the food in easier too once blended. A turkey baster comes to mind as something I’d likely try.

It’s always best to ask or confirm with your vet. I hope she’s eating well again soon.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you.
We’re trying blended food but she still won’t eat it. Still waiting on the lab results. She’s swallowing water regularly without any problems which is why we think it may be her teeth or gums.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts