Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem. Future hubby and I are working totally opposite shifts right now. He works from 7am to 4pm. I work from 11pm to 7am. Loki is in his crate all night and biggest part of the day while I am sleeping. I really don't like keeping him in his crate all the time.  :cry: What can I do? Should I just let him roam the bedroom while I am sleeping, but if I do that I am afraid of waking up and stepping into poop or pee. I kept him in the crate yesturday so I could sleep and I didn't even get much sleep that way. I was waken like 6 times because of him crying. Can somebody help me please.
Melissa

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
You really can't keep a puppy in a crate for more than 2 hours.  They just can't hold their bladders, plus it's just not fair to them.  Someone either has to come by and let him out, or you just have to gate off an area where you don't care about him eliminating on the floor.  A lot of people will use the bathroom for these situations

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Wow that is a tough one because at 8 weeks it is almost certain that if you leave Loki out in your room he will go to the bathroom.  They just can not control their bladder and bowels for long period of times at that age. Fiona has not had an accident in the house since she was about 5 1/2 to 6 months old.  They just take a little time getting it, but at 8 weeks they dont even know what you are wanting them to do yet, and even if they kind of get it they cant hold it very long.
Then taking into consideration he is also in the kennel when your boyfriend is sleeping at night, it will be hard for you to leave him in the kennel without him crying.  

My ONLY suggestions I can think of is to maybe try feeding him when you get home in the morning and then playing really long and hard with him, then taking out to pee and poop and let him lay in bed with you. They will sometimes sleep longer in laying right with you in bed, also they wont be crying and if they are up and moving around you can feel it and run him outside or to a pee pad. You of course will create a little monster that wants to sleep with you, but there is no good solution when you have people working different 8 hours shifts you add that all up and it is 16 hours of being in a crate....

The other thing would be to continue to do what you are doing but put his crate out of your room or ear shot so that him crying does not wake you up...I would guess he is jost bored!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yesturday I was getting up about every two hours to take him out and let him wonder around a little bit. Its just ahrd with both of us sleeping. It will get easier when I get to move days.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts