Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I stop Coco from digging up my houseplants when I am at work--she is now 4 1/2 months old.  I can't keep her in a caged area because last week she crawled over the 6 foot chain-link fenced in area downstairs in less than 2 minutes.....we set up the camera and caught her when we were at work.  This week we decided to see how she did left alone in the house.........she did ok all week but today I came home to a potted plant totally destroyed.   I don't want to buy a kennel and keep her contained,  we are gone for 8 hrs a day and I don't think it's fair to her.

Any idea on how to stop her from digging up my potted plants?  

Thanks

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Not sure on that, but somebody may be able to help.  Just be very careful as some house plants are poisonous.

·
Registered
94 Posts
No Idea, best thing you can do...Keep her in a confined area of the house.  I learned the same way, I had four house plants, within three days they were all gone.  So I confined Boudreaux to the living room where he could watch tv, lounge by the window, and still have access to water during the day while I was gone.  When I am home he does not even think about tearing any thing up except his kong.  Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Move all your houseplants out of reach (in another room with door closed) until she is older, and can be trusted with them :)
You'll probably want to remove everything you value from where she is staying as she could choose anything to chew on next. Not to mention she could chew up something dangerous like electrical cords, or eat something she isn't supposed to.
What kind of toys do you leave her with while you are gone? Is there a room you can put her in and close the door?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Goodgirl.........we leave her with a bunch of different toys......all kinds of chew's,  2 kongs, etc etc etc.  She has lots of toys and chews.  She has a doggie door and I can tell by the paw prints in the snow she goes out and runs around the yard quite a bit during the day.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes Maddy........we were to,  she was "pruning" the hydraenga but I guess it was too cold today so she decided to do some indoor gardening instead.   I know what thing for sure, in my next life, I want to come back a boxer........life is much simpler.

·
Registered
441 Posts
he is pruning a pine shrub thing outside!!!! if only the cold would stop him....but nothing has yet other than he has eaten 1/3 of the entire thing....eventually after he eats it all or all he can reach.....I guess I won't have to worry about it!

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Rule of house - all plants are up and out of dogs reach.    As much as I would like to have them, just cant.   We had a palm tree once and Hanna ate all the leaves off it.

As much as they are nice and decorative, if they are getting into them, I would just remove them or put them in a non-dog area.   If the dog is into digging, maybe put all toys in a plastic tub bin where the digging can be focused to something that can be dug at.  

Good Luck.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm not sure how much or how often to use the cayenne pepper.  I have not tried this myself,so I'm not even sure that it works.  Let me know the outcome if you do decide to try it.

Good luck  :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Tobga...........tried the cayenne.............no luck :(

She had brought a twig in from outside and i put cayenne on it, told her no...and put it outside.  She went out and got it and got the cayenne and HATED it.  She hasn't touched another twig *knock on wood*.  So i put it in my plants.  After her and I came in from a long walk tonight in the fresh snow which she loved---I was in the bathroom,  came out and she had completely emptied yet another pot and plant all over the carpet I just shampooed today.  Cayenne didn't bother her one bit.  She hasn't touched the plants up until 3 days ago.........I don't know why she started.   If I keep moving plants, etc etc etc........how do they ever learn and how can they ever be trusted?

Help anyone?

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Hah....I remember thinking I could leave houseplants around too.  I think it took about 5 seconds before I realized that wasn't going to happen.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Tip with the cayenne....
Sprinkle some cayenne in the cap of the pepper jar and let CoCo get a good whiff of it. Don't let her snort it, just smell. Then take some on your finger and rub some on her tongue , I know, I know, sounds very cruel, but CoCo will learn to associate the smell of the cayenne with the taste of it. Then, sprinkle some cayenne around the base of your plants. Sprinkle the plants with some fresh cayenne daily. The idea would be for her to smell the plants and not want anything to do with them.  
Good Luck with the plant issue. I know between the dog and the kids, there are no plants in my house!  :?

·
Registered
839 Posts
We don't have any problems with house plants, but Harley loves to "prune" our hydranga bush to, he also love to "prune" the azalea bush!! I know that someone on this forum has the answer. Every one is very helpful here. I love this place!!! Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Plant #3  greeted me when I came home from work *sigh*.  How long are they puppies?   I think she must be loving the cayenne......doesn't seem to bother her.

I so don't want to cage her up.........she does so well otherwise.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts