Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have experience with these slow feed bowls? They have pretty great reviews from what i can find. Im gearing up for a new pup, should be born about a week from now so we expect to bring him/her home in 9 weeks or so. Part two of my question would be, does size matter? Can i get the large bowl and allow the pup to grow into it? Or do i need a smaller one (medium), and then get the large in a handful of months?

·
Registered
285 Posts
We bought a pretty small Slow-feed bowl which we still use. Its big enough and has worked well. We still feed our Boxer 3 times a day as she used to throw up if she got too much at once. It works for us but may not be convenient for all.

She still eats extremely fast but we don't have too many issues.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We bought a pretty small Slow-feed bowl which we still use. Its big enough and has worked well. We still feed our Boxer 3 times a day as she used to throw up if she got too much at once. It works for us but may not be convenient for all.

She still eats extremely fast but we don't have too many issues.

Thanks! Is yours plastic? No issues with that? I think i may go with the medium size and hope that works now and when the pup gets bigger...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes its plastic. It goes in the dishwasher and it works out well. I don't think it matters what size it is within reason. Don't forget to send pictures of your new puppy when you get it.
Will definitely be posting pictures!! I can't wait to bring a little pup home! Thanks for your help! Think I'm gonna order matching medium slow feeder bowls for food and water. Dunno if it'll really help with water but figure it can't hurt. Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
We bought a slow feeder which was plastic after a week of using one I noticed dukes chin broke out in a nasty rash with pimples.. stopped using the maze feeder and his chin problems went away.. I think the bacteria and the design of a smooshed boxer face didn't go hand in hand.. but every boxer is different of course, heard cookie sheets are great to make them slow down.. I don't think you'd need one for the water though.

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Yes I would see if you could get it in stainless steel or ceramic, much easier to keep clean. I do not use slow feeders but I do use ceramic and if you don't wash them thoroughly each day your dog can get acne. We even have to clean the toys. LOL

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We bought a slow feeder which was plastic after a week of using one I noticed dukes chin broke out in a nasty rash with pimples.. stopped using the maze feeder and his chin problems went away.. I think the bacteria and the design of a smooshed boxer face didn't go hand in hand.. but every boxer is different of course, heard cookie sheets are great to make them slow down.. I don't think you'd need one for the water though.
This is what I was worried about...I may try a cookie sheet for food and a regular stainless steel for water. Wonder if the stainless slow feeder bowls that just have a bump in the center are effective?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes I would see if you could get it in stainless steel or ceramic, much easier to keep clean. I do not use slow feeders but I do use ceramic and if you don't wash them thoroughly each day your dog can get acne. We even have to clean the toys. LOL
Do you do anything to try and prevent bloat? I'll be a first time boxer owner and I'm just so worried about that....am I going overboard?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts