Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I have a Nikon CoolPix 995.  I bought because I can get different lenses for it and it has a larger screen..  It has been great and haven't had any problems in the 5 years I have had it.  My sister has a Canon SureShot and loves it too.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I might recomend any of the Kodak Easy Share cameras in the "Z" series (like the Kodak Z712).  You want to look for a high OPTICAL ZOOM rating (ignore any "digital zoom" features, that's useless marketing trickery).  The Kodak Easy Share cameras can be used with a dock that both recharges the camera and sends the pictures automatically to the computer with the click of a single button.  They won't break the bank either.  The Z712 is a 7.1 megapixel camera with a 12x OPTICAL zoom for around $300 (the dock is another $50).

Kodak Z712 IS Zoom Digital Camera

Oh... the "megapixel" rating is the resolution (or clarity) of the pictures you can produce... the higher the megapixels, the better.

For comparison purposes, the digital camera we're using for Odin's pics is an OLD Kodak DX3600, which is a 2.2 megapixel camera with a 2x optical zoom... obviously digital cameras have come a long way since we bought ours!

Kodak DX3600 Digital Camera

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I guess it depends on how you want to use it..I have my fathers 35mm equip, all the lenses, etc, so I didn't feel that it was necesssary to go with a real "high end" Digital..I have a Kodak also and love it, mine is just the little C533, but compared to my previous digi, this one is much better..The Zoom is great, so I can get nice closeups..I think I paid about $150 for it..I highly recomend getting the rechargeable dock, very handy...This is also a very small compact camera, which makes it easy for me to carry...If I find the need for real detailed shots, I pull out the 35mm

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Right now I have a Kodak, I can't remember the model, I'm at work so I can't look at it. My problem with it is there is such a delay between pushing the button and it actually taking the picture. I get a lot of pics of Blazes tail cuz he won't sit still very long.lol. I've wanted to get a higher end digital for awhile. Also if there is any movement at all the pics turn out blurry.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Yeah... Mastray and I noticed most of your pics look blurry... even with our old Kodak DX3600 we don't get blurry pictures.

Mastray wants a new camera, and I'm looking at the Kodak Z712 myself, but we're tight on money right now, so it's just on the "wish list".  Still, we've been using the DX3600 since early 2002 and it's been a pretty good trooper... we just want something with a better zoom and faster response time... plus trippling our megapixels wouldn't hurt either!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Digital Cameras are just getting better and better..Mine seems to take very good action pictures for it not being that expensive of a camera...I don't know how comfortable you are with cameras, so what you get should be something that you can use!! My sis was given one for her b/day this year and she absolutely hated it!! She traded it in for a 35mm auto..Course she's not real "techy" if you understand what I mean..Keep that in mind and read reviews on what others that have bought the camera have to say....

·
Registered
780 Posts
blaze_the_boxer\";p=\"10355 said:
Right now I have a Kodak, I can't remember the model, I'm at work so I can't look at it. My problem with it is there is such a delay between pushing the button and it actually taking the picture. I get a lot of pics of Blazes tail cuz he won't sit still very long.lol. I've wanted to get a higher end digital for awhile. Also if there is any movement at all the pics turn out blurry.
We have the kodak also (DX6490 4.0 mega pix) and love it.  When we first got it I did have some trouble with blurry pictures but found that for still shots just remembering to hold the button down first then click made a difference with those.  As for taking pictures of our boxers (or anything else that moves alot) we use the sports mode, it really helps with blurry pictures or missing the picture because you are waiting for it to focus.  We got ours at Sam's and it came in a bundle pack with a docking station and software.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I'd recommend anything Canon..  :D  The Rebel XTi's are great! If you can find a new one on ebay they're only like $700-800. Directly from Canon I think $900. They take awesome action pictures! If I had the money I'd get one... I only know about this be/c I asked a man who works his american bulldogs and his action pics are FAB!

·
Registered
381 Posts
I don't know how old your digital camera is but if its within the last 5 years the most likely reason for the blurry pictures is the amount of light.  

Digital camera's attempt to make up for good ole cameraperson expertise by detecting and selecting the picture parameters for you.  For example, when light is low to medium, the camera may automatically use a longer shutter speed to allow in more light.  Long shutter speeds = blurry moving objects.  But that would be most likely be an "auto" setting, and most digital camera's these days allow you to control this issue by allowing you to adjust the ISO setting (400 would be good for action shots) or by choosing a "sport" type setting (which essentially keeps the ISO nice and high).

I have a strong opinion, and while I'm not a camera guru I do feel fairly strongly about this, that most anyone in the market looking for a new camera go with 1 of 2 options:
1)  High end, large, almost professional grade camera.  Takes A LOT more knowledge to use it to the camera's capabilities.  I'm talking DSLR here.  The Canon Xti's come close to DSLR quality.  This is the type of camera you want if you see yourself using a tripod to capture "the perfect shot".  Pro's:  great pictures, by far the most control over your shots.  Con's:  $600-1,000+, size= not pocket sized.

2)  A point and shoot for $200.  Digital camera's have improved leaps and bounds the past 5 years and any name brand digital camera for $200 will get you all you need for recreational shooting.  I just bought a Nikon L5 and its gets its job done no problemo.  If I had to recommend though, or if I was buying over again, I'd get a Canon powershot A560.

Last but not least, all digital camera's essentially record the image on a sensor.  The tiny-tiny camera's have a tiny sensor which limits picture quality even though there may be a large mexapixel (MP) rating on the camera.  Likewise the big camera's have a large "sensor" for improved quality.  That is why I'd go with something like the A series from Canon, because it is a decent sized camera, yet it'll still fit in a coat pocket.

Hope that helps :)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've been considering the Canon Xti, the Nikon D40x, and one from Sony(can't remember the  model). They are all priced in the $600 to $800 range. I'm really leaning towards the Nikon based on price and the fact that regardless of which camera I purchase it will be a vast improvement over my current one.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Ok this may be a topic I can help with,  I love photography.  not a pro but I have a top end camera Konica/Minolta 7d (now owned by sony) and I try to take good pics.  

Main thing you should look at is how much you want to get into taking pictures and what type of pictures you want to take i.e. stills, action...  the pocket cameras are great if you just want something to carry everywhere, I used carry a sony dscp 9000 or something like that, but most of my shots are action so the point and shoot (non-slr) cameras were no good for me, too much lag in the focus and process time.  This is also a huge factor with animals.  they don't sit still and the darker the focal point the harder to get a clean pic that is with any camera but with a slr you can change setting to accomodate.

I chose the Minolta because I already had a 35mm and lenses all the lenses converted over.  If I was new to photography and starting from scratch I would, hands down choose the canon rebel xti.  Easy to use, can be used with no experience and you can change setting once you are more familiar with it.  Also the initial price may be higher than some of the other cameras but due to their popularity all of their accessories are less expensive.  I spent 900 on just my camera body but lenses and accessories are what you spend your money on.

samsonsmom  your 35 mm equipment may work on the digitals.  check with a local shop.

best place for camera reviews is http://www.dpreview.com

oh and sorry for the long post

·
Registered
381 Posts
I'm not sure how close myself and mybaddogs agree, but I think its fairly close :).  A D40x or Xti which are $800-900+ camera's put you into the camera enthusiast ballgame.  I'm not ready to lug that type of camera around and I believe the progress in point in shoot digital camera's the past 5 years is pretty amazing.

Action shots are tough with lower end digital camera's, but if you are ready, they should NOT be a problem.  I have dozens and dozens with a $250 Nikon.

Disclaimer - I'm not trying to get into a digital picture shootout with someone with a high end camera because I'm sure I'll lose :p.  But I would like to show a little bit of what is possible with new technology point and shoot cameras.  
Also note, these pictures are hosted by photobucket and the biggest resolution they allow is 800x600.  The original pictures are 3072x2304 resolution.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I know NOTHING about cameras, but I just wanted to say Nexu those are amazing action shots!  :D I don't know why, but that Pug is cracking me up.... :rofl:

·
Registered
342 Posts
Those are great shots.  My main complaint on the point and shoots is you have to time it right and if you miss the shot your hosed..  My dslr shoots 3 frames per second and it is on the low end.   Don't get me wrong the point and shoots are great but if you have the cash and want to progress in photography go for the dslr..  photos below

1 - 20 of 29 Posts