Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you do when a friend tells you they want help finding a boxer, but you don't think they'd be the greatest owner?  Don't get me wrong, these are good people (a couple) with a nice house in a good neighborhood, but they have a lot on their plate and aren't home much.  I don't know if they are a good canidate for any dog right now, nevermind a boxer.  But part of me thinks with so many homeless dogs in this world, should I really discourage them?  I'm torn because of that and also because it'd be great for Oggie to have a playmate nearby (selfish reason, I know)...

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Point them in the direction of some rescues  - boxerbuddies.org or second chance boxer rescue - and let the pros decide!  That way you stay out of it and hopefully Oggie gets a buddy in the end!  I check regulary and there are some beautiful dogs on both sites!

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
I think I'd explain to them how much work they are in respect of requiring so much human interaction and maybe if they aren't home much, they may need to re-think it.  IMO, even though there are a lot of homeless dogs, it doesn't really make up for it if they don't get the love and attention they require in a home....

Or maybe you can babysit!!!!  I'm sure Oggie would love that!  I have a friend who is a mid-wife and she is sometimes gone for a couple of days at a time.  When we lived in the same neighbourhood, I would always take her dog and then my Charlie always had a friend....

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ugh one of them just told me they found an ad in the paper for boxer puppies and were asking how to tell if they are healthy.  I already went over how to find them a good puppy or rescue

:aua:

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Oh Geeze, Been there before.  I would just stress a lot of work and need attention.  They are not like a cat that is indendant of a toy poodle which is well nasty.   I would stress that you would not been able to get Oggie if you did not work from home (even if its a lie) and that maybe they should try to foster a dog to see if it will work out or not since dogs are not disposable.  

Also on the puppy thing, unfor you can preach and preach but a majority will fall on deaf ears.  I would not offer any advice about health of a pup from an ad in the paper unless they ask the right questions (health testing etc) and then except the possibilities of risk in buying the said dog.

Good Luck, dont envy you at all:)

·
Registered
761 Posts
Other rescue sites in the area are Northeastern Boxer Rescue and Boxers in Need of New England.  They are generally pretty discriminating in rescuing boxers out to homes that are not ready for them.  Also remind them of how much $$ it costs for a dog walker or doggie daycare when they are not home.  My wife and I work but we've re-arranged our schedules so I leave a little later and she comes home earlier and in addition we have a dog walker and doggy playgroup during the week.  We still get up at 5am every weekday to be sure he gets a good walk in before either of us has to leave. Any dog is a HUGE commitment.  Maybe you can have them watch your pup during a weekend so they can see what a major undertaking it is to take in a dog.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I wouldn't want to be in your shoes.  Suggest that they buy a lot of Natures Miracle for accidents if they get a puppy; might make them think about the accidents and potty training a puppy.  You might mention some puppies are not fully potty trained until 6 to 8 months.  Takes a lot of time to work with a puppy.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I actually was just talking to the woman and she's hellbent on buying a boxer puppy as a gift to the husband.  She's calling random ads in the newspaper.  I told her basically what you guys suggested and I think it just fell on deaf ears.  More than anything I tried to discourage her but sounds like they just want me to be excited. I'm not offering up any more advice, I have a feeling I'm just going to hear someday very soon that they got a boxer puppy from some random place.  Which is going to suck, because who is going to be the go-to person for advice....hmmm...I wonder!  I'm involved whether I want to or not, because I'm going to feel bad for the pup and want to help as best I can.  Some people just think that I'm one of those dog people that takes dogs too seriously.....

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
If she's that determined to get a puppy, have her keep checking the rescues.  They occassionally have puppies.  There's an 8 month old male on one of the sites right now.  That way they'll be screened properly!  By the way you're talking I have a feeling there's going to be a lot of puppy sitting at your house!

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You're probably right!   :lol:

I should charge them to teach them a lesson.  Hmm I could have a whole second career on my hands here   :D

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
One thing you could also point out is that if the boxer isnt happy or they get bored the destuction that could be done, Just because they are kenneled doesnt mean they cant destroy stuff. I know most people tend to back off once they realize they are putting their belongings at risk. That sucks she is going the newpaper route :(

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Sounds like you are right and no matter what you say, she is going to do it.  Wish you the best of luck.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
Oh SUlly i am in the same situation right now...good good friends of ours are bent on a boxer pup...only savior has been there arent any breeders on this island BUT there are places like that aweful puppy mill place well this place that gets pups from puppy mills in australia...and brings them here....and a great akc breeder on the big island

shes been at me for months wants a pup so bad..gotta be a boxer !! althought theyve never had one..just have experienced Isis..who was NOT easy for the  last 2 yrs...shes awesome now...but boy oh boy the hell we went through rehabbing her...

these people arent home much..have 3 kids...no matter what i say she doesnt hear me....she says " well your dogs are great and you dont seem to have any issues at all" im like OMG my dogs are 6..and its beenn 2 yrs of long long days and nights...AND i own my own biz"

i dodged the last litter of boxer pups that came in 2 weeks ago by telling her they were all gone that i already checked  8O LIE   i dunno what else to do..its so frustrating ! but they ARENT boxer people they arent home enough and just dont get it how much work it takes...it would be terrible and ill tell ya who will end up with a pup...ME !!!! and right now as much as i want one...its NOT the time...

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah it's like they see your dog once a week and just think they were born like that!   :lol:

I think stalling in this case just delays the inevitable unfortunately

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
My roommate and fiance are talking about how they want a dog... not a boxer but some type of dog, yet her fiance says he doesnt even like animals but could handle a dog and my roommate gets fed up w/ dungy when he is hyper... ummm good luck.

Though i am bad and being that i am moving out in 3 weeks idc what she does and rather see her fail... that is bad isnt it  :?

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
That is a tough situation for sure.....in addition to everything that has alrady been said I would encourage them to get a little older of a puppy (not 6-8 weks) so that may help a tad on not being home as much.....It is hard.....Fiona went to work with me everyday until she was about 9 months because I did not want her home all day (10 hours) by herself.....It is a lot of work, time and expense and that is why there are so many of them already in shelters and rescues because people are not ready for all it takes....

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I would have suggested letting them baby sit Oggie a few times, but from what you are saying it sounds like everything you are telling them is falling on deaf ears, which really is a shame...And sadly they will come running to you when and if they do buy a puppy without doing any research...What a shame, dogs are not a spur of the moment decision and you have to have the time to devote to them, really no different than having kids

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
I was gonna say to let them have Oggie for a hour or two some afternoon just to see what its like and what kind of commitment boxers are. (Willow beat me to it though! :D)
People jump into getting a dog way too quickly and then when it doesn't work out because they haven't done their research they end up at shelters or rescues or tied up outside. Not good!

Perhaps giving them a book on boxers. I borrowed Boxers for Dummies from someone before getting Phoenix and it is very down to the point and informative! Made me think twice and question my decision a few times.
Or maybe tell them about this site and encourage them to read some of the sticky topics.
All you can do is try whatever you can at this point...maybe something will get through to them to stop and take a moment to think first.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts