Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My boxer just LOVES Dingo bones with the dried meat inside.  He can devour one in about a 1.5 hr time frame if I let him.  I have heard that these rawhide chew bones are good from some people and others say "no way"!!  Anyone have any info?

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Dingo bones are rawhide wrapped around jerky.  I'm not a fan of rawhide - I've known of too many near-choking incidents or obstructions to give or recommend it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah thats what I have heard too.  but so far we haven't had any problems with Tug.  He only gets one every once & a while.  Usually gets new toys more than anything!  Just wonderin if anyone else here gives their dogs rawhide bones?

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I dont give mine rawhide with all the problems it can cause. I give mine marrow bones instead. They love them and it will keep them occupied for hours on end!!

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I gave Chloe a dingo bone once and she nearly choked..Scared me to death..that was almost 3 yrs ago..I won't let her anywhere near rawhide ..Just the thought of a piece of hide sitting in her stomach rotting away turns my own stomach..Now it's only marrow bones and the stinky bully sticks  :lol:

·
Registered
291 Posts
when tyson got sick w/ parvo i told the vet we had given him a marrow bone, she said that she did'nt recommend them, i have never given him one since.. other treats satisfy him so far. maybe sharon or someone can give us a little insight. They sell them so they cant all be bad? right or wrong?

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I dunno cause my vet recommends them..lol I look at it as, at least I know the marrow she licks like a lollipop digests and some of the rawhide they sell nowadays doesn't. It just sits in the stomach. I could be all wrong tho so I agree we need Sharon! lol

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
I've heard that rawhides sit in the tummy for 7 years, like gum in humans.  I don't know how accurate that info is, but it's enough for me to not give them to Henry.  
The vet has some special basted rawhides that he gives for special treats after shots.  He says they are OK on the rare occasion, but bully sticks are good for more regular use.  Henry's favorite is the lamb femur we get at PetCo.  They are $6!  So he doesn't get them often, but he just LOVES them!!!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Even tho mine would love it, I agree with the others that giving rawhide chews is much too risky.  There are so many other things to choose from that they enjoy just as much.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
My take on bones is from seeing the other side  :lol:  Meaning the inside of the stomach or intestine.  :oops:

Generally I say not to feed rawhide. They do not digest well at all and can swell inside the throat. They can also be undigested, which leads to an obstruction of the intestines.

Never give a fish, pork or chicken bone. They splinter and can also become stuck in the stomach, throat or intestines.

I use and recommend beef bones like a Knee Cap, Hip Bone, or Marrow Bones. Plain or smoked. However, not raw bones they can carry salmonella.

I have seen a rawhide that was not digested wrap around a dogs intestines, which blocked the intestines and then killed the dog.  We found this during a necropsy.

There is also a product that is sold at veterinary offices called C.E.T. chews dor dogs. It is dehydrated beef with enzymes to help reduce plaque on your dogs teeth and they digest them. However, I have seen a larger dog, actually a boxer swallow one whole and it lodged in the throat so be careful with them too.

Hope that helped some  :D

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Buy a dingo bone or any other rawhide product. Go home and fill up a sink with water. Put the rawhide in the sink. Wait a while.....look at the rawhide. Would you want that in your dogs stomach??? Rawhide is dried leather. Once swallowed, it draws water out of the dogs body. Rawhide swells after absorbing the water. That can lead to problems if a piece the dog swallowed swells up to where it can't pass through the dog. It can choke a dog or cause a blockage. I'm not saying that all dogs that eat rawhide are going to have problems, many eat it every day without an issue, but I'm not going to take the chance. Rawhide is also processed with chemicals. I would stick with raw meaty bones or bully sticks.  :wink:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow, thanks for the input guys!!! This has really changed the way I think about those Dingo Bones!! I think I will stick to the marrow bones, he loves those too, and all he cares about is getting the marrow out and tosses the bone!

·
Registered
780 Posts
We DO let ours have rawhide bones.  We do not let them have the ones with the knots on the ends because those can come off in large pieces.  We give them the really large ones that are rolled (10" long or longer).  We watch them when they are chewing on them and make sure to take away the bone when it is 4-5 inches long.  We make sure they aren't left alone with them.  Our dogs have always been very aggressive chewers.  Since many don't recommend the rawhides we tried the filled bones, smoked ham bones and found that they were chipping off larger pieces of those bones and they were sharp.  We were more concerned that they would swallow a piece of the sharp bone and that would cause more damage than the rawhide.  

You can buy natural processed rawhide chews, those that haven't been bleached, etc.  

We also have large nylon bones (the size for a great dane) that they do occasionally chew on but our Teaki doesn't like them and will only chew on a rawhide.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
To be blunt....a bully stick is bull penis.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts