Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good way to train ignoring distractions is find a beach with about a 100 Canadian geese honking and just causing a general ruckus. lol

Doesn't look like it from the pic, but they are all in the water and up and down the beach
Untitled.jpg
and up

·
Registered
873 Posts
Zuke is such a handsome boy! We have to deal with the geese too at the farm we walk at hundreds of them in the fields and then they all take off at one time!

·
Registered
873 Posts
They are really gross and so are their flying rat buddies the seagulls! The smell can be pretty awful sometimes and when the seagulls are there too don't look up!

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
A few years ago, a few dog's ago ... I'd have taken that challenge! Cuz ... I'd have taken it with up, with all my "Hand Raised, Hand Picked Prima Donna Puppy's! The one "exception," was my Wl GSD .... got him at seven month's messed up ... got it right.

That was a dog and "no leash," with distractions, uh no problem! He was not "Mal," type, not I see you "hyper focused," but he did know "where I was at all times!"

Most likely my "Struddell," w/o leash and with distractions, could have done it?? I could let her chase rabbit's in the open desert ...no problem! And with full recall but other than don't that "my baby girl," you know ...

My current dog "Bella," yeah, one year old rescue when I got her ... "I don't know??"

Yeah Bella (Pit/Boxer) mix one year old when I got her ... a whole lot of crazy there!! With the front door ... unless, I say "Place First!" She will absolutely "Scare the living Crap," out of anyone that comes to the front door!!"

Unless I am fast enough to say "Place ," first and point to the couch?? She will bang into the front storm door hard! And she will scare (unless you know her) scare the living crap out of anyone! Sigh ,,, I keep waiting for her to get a grip, w/o my intervention, thus far ... that has not happened??

But our limitation's are more about "me," than they are her?? She is
my first heel flip dog! She has that down solid! She is also the first dog ... and really this is whole another story, where I can say ... "Sit!" And not "add," Stay ... to a command!

Apparently, Sit, Stay and or Place?? Was to just to much redundancy for them (on Germanshepardfroum ... the IPO, folk's??) Tend to think .., "Sit," means "Sit!" Why did you knew to keep "adding command's??" Well ... I have to say, "apparently ... they were right!"

Pretty much daily on the front porch, I let her out and tell "Bella," Sit! And walk away ... "out of site," and she does not move??? I make sure the side walk is free of "Distraction's," and then call her.

It work's out fine! And "now," I understand ... what the "IPO," folk's were saying. Sit means "Sit!" That is the "Command!" Unless you release the Dog, ... Sit is what they do! :)

Now as to the field of Canadian Geese, yeah with my Bella ... "I don't know??" Pretty much zero chance with no leash I'd try that?? But would she even care ... I don't know?? Her "trigger is, motorcycle's especially two strokes, the louder the better! She Hates Harley's! But on a leash she does well!

And at a distance, I messed up once! I had her in a "sit," at a distance and an unexpected "quad runner," appeared between me and her!! But even still ... she did not move!!! I was sweating bullet's but she did good! :)

My Rocky Wl GSD LOL, on one occasion, off leash ... we stumbled onto a herd of "Wild Horses!!!" (Not unusual out here) but they were not usually where they were this time?? Rocky was like, "whatever ... I don't care." But yeah I was "concerned!" And so was the "Mare!"

Rocky did not care ... I watched the "Mare," watched "Rocky," as he looked just like a "Large Black Wolf," as far as he was concerned ... I imagine??? Now I don't know that we even have Wolves' out here?? But that "Mare," felt that if they were out here?? Then this is one of one of them??? And he looked like ... just do something stupid ... and I will kick you and your A-Hole owner's A$$!!

Rocky, never give him any grief but I was watching him!! We gave him no cuz for grief and he gave us none! But same deal with my "Bella," and leash??? Or heck even on leash?? Yeah ... I'd not want to chance that?? As I seriously doubt we'd be able to out run a "pissed off mare, protecting his herd!" But hey that kinda, crap does not happen every day!!

But ... in the real world with a "much more "normal dog." Sigh, I did the "Sit thing, (no stay)" I did the Heel Flip thing. So I suppose, ... I "have to try the "Sit, Stand, Down," thing?? And you know with out, a "Hyper Focused, MAl," and using a "Dog Park," see how that goes with, a Real World ... JQP dog?? :)

Hmm Ok this just in. I opened the front door and Bella came running forward per usual, to my surprise two wild horses, were out front on the side walk! Bella did not make a sound! Heck those aren't motorcycle's?? I don't care, apparently. :)

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Many, many hours and years of training. No I wouldn't trust him to hang out in a hen house alone, lol, but I trust him 100% off leash when I'm around.

I only had 1 dog in my life that reacted in an out of control way to outside stimuli. He hated anything bigger than a van. Something about trucks he would completely lose it. No matter what we did, he had it in his head that trucks where the worst thing in the world.

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
Yeah ... my "Bella," perplexes me?? I just never have any idea what she will do?? I do the best I can to keep her in "Distraction Free Area's!" But even still ... "Crap Happens??"

On one occasion when we were going to the "Dog Bowl," a safe depression, where I can let her go off leash. I had her in a "Sit," by the car ... while I walked to the "Dog Bowl," to make sure no one was there??

And out of nowhere (it's NV so yeah) a Quad Runner appears and it's heading right between me and Bella!! I'm freaking out but I am way to far away to stop her, if she does something stupid!! But to my surprise she does nothing stupid!! The quad goes between me and her and she hold's the sit and keep's focus on me!! It goes by and I call her to me ... no issue, she was a good dog!

But I can't "read her??" She is most certainly not my GSD! Nor my Boxer Struddell (and her limitation's where imposed by me, cuz that was "Daddy's baby girl!" So let me do the thinking,) my bad ... I suppose??

Bella perplexes me?? She is "people friendly and people safe!" But at the same time ... if there is a knock at the door?? And I can't say "Place," and point to the sofa fast enough?? She will hit the storm door like a Mack Truck and scare the crap out of anyone on the other side! You know unless you know her. Struddell was "admittedly," almost as bad?? (I did not know about "Place," back then.) But the level of sheer velocity to get to the door seems to be much less??

Rocky my GSD yeah bit different, as long as you don't step thru the threshold ... he didn't give a crap. :)

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Zuke will do that too. Runs full speed at the door but never hits it. I'm fine with that though. lol He's my early warning detector. Plus it gets solicitors away from my house pretty quick.;)

·
Registered
873 Posts
My dogs do that too, they do a wonderful job at keeping solicitors away! I have an enclosed front porch and they see everyone before they can open the gate and they look out and start barking that usually stops whomever at the gate! The UPS man and Fedex though will just throw packages over the fence sometimes at the front door and haul a**! My guys would never hurt anyone but they don't know that! I don't blame them!

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lol. Zuke knows all the delivery people so he just does the butt shake whenever he sees them.:)

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
Zuke will do that too. Runs full speed at the door but never hits it. I'm fine with that though. lol He's my early warning detector. Plus it gets solicitors away from my house pretty quick.;)
LOL well in the "past," that was my experience also?? My Band Dawg/My Boxer would run to the dog and then hope up to the storm down window to see who was there?? My GSD Rocky ... would "alert me," but hey as long as the door did not open ... he did not care, IE "whatever." That is what I was used to and what I expected??

But new dog "Boxer/Pitt," Bella ... yeah, the Pitt/Terrier "part," seems to me "I will freaking double down on crazy!!" Barring intervention by my ... she will, literally slam into the "Strom Door!" And unless you, know her or happen to be a dog person?? You will ... stay well the hell clear!! Sigh
it's "embarrassing" and "perplexing," for me??

And these day's it's a "battle of will's??" We don't have enough for it to be "ready be a "real," issue??" And I keep waiting for her to "Spontaneously, "get a grip??" Yeah ... thus far, that has not happened??? I can put a "Cap on the crazy, with "Place!" And I point to the "Sofa." But I feel, ... "I should not have to do that??"

So it's a randomized waiting game?? We don't have enough "guest," for it to be an issue these day's?? But it is kind of annoying. :cautious:

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just trained that the sill at the door was his no go area. So he wont break that plane no matter what. Doesn't matter if I leave the door open or not. lol

Do you stop her at the door before you guys go out? I always made it a point of he stays at the door threshold and can't go out till I say so.

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
I just trained that the sill at the door was his no go area. So he wont break that plane no matter what. Doesn't matter if I leave the door open or not. lol

Do you stop her at the door before you guys go out? I always made it a point of he stays at the door threshold and can't go out till I say so.
That of course would be an excellent question! And the answer would be of "course!"

I can go out to the car leave the door wide open and she knows not to come out!

She exploit's the "loop hole!" The storm door has a solid bottom and a window at the top. So the door is closed. See is not breaking a "Threshold," but she feel's well if the door is there?? Then it is her good given right ... to bang into the door, as hard and fast as she can to "Greet," whoever is on the other side?? And rest assured if you "don't know her," she will scare the "Crap," out of you!!

And it's random as it were, no daily visitors, no family near by. So not something I can work on "per say??" And yes if we are both in the living room, she knows if someone is coming before I do!

So yeah at first alert ... I can say "Place," and stop the madness. But based on Gunther and Struddell who uh did not do that, hit the Storm Door as hard as they could! I "feel," she should get a freaking grip! It's a battle of will's, I suppose?? So far ... I'm losing! :(

But in general Boxer and Boxer/Pit ... almost the same! She luv's people as much as Stru did! The difference seems to be in level's of intensity, for "some behavior's??" You just don't know what they are till you see them??

Rocky my GSD was lot's easier, he'd be by my feet. I'd heard a loud growl and that meant "Deal with it Dad!" You don't come in the door ... "I don't give a crap!" Sigh, I kind of miss that ...

But with my more normal dog "Bella," I'm a bit at a loss at times?? She is my first "Heel Flip Dog!" I taught her that but you know a dog that is "Not," a "serious bite risk??" Sigh I find kind of boring, these day's?? Bella, get's away with "murder," at times really?? She is a reasonably good dog for the most part. But yeah the front door charge with an owner that did have frequent "drop in's??" That would be an "issue??" I know it's "not right??"
But I am unsure how to fix it??

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
Well actually it is the "little," stuff like that. I see as the biggest difference between my Bella (Boxer/Pit) and Stru (Boxer.) But I don't know if it's the mix or if it is cuz she's a girl??

Cuz you know, you would think? Well of course she is going to slow down?? Stru always did. Halloween was her favorite time of year! Tiger's and Lion's and Bear's "Oh My!" She was like (Stru), "but of course ... you hop up to the window politely, to greet guest??" But Bella NO, I'm smacking into that door as hard and fast as I can cuz I wanna see who is there now!

And sure she is smiles and giggle's once she makes the initial hit?? But she will "scare the crap out of her if you don't know her or your a dog person. But we are retired and don't have friend's nearby. So other than I know "this ain't right??" It's just a quirk, I need to address?? At the same time, it's a great trait for getting rid of Door to Door salesmen's! Although ... the "Kirby Folk's," did get in and uh ... "We bought one!" :)

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well actually it is the "little," stuff like that. I see as the biggest difference between my Bella (Boxer/Pit) and Stru (Boxer.) But I don't know if it's the mix or if it is cuz she's a girl??

Cuz you know, you would think? Well of course she is going to slow down?? Stru always did. Halloween was her favorite time of year! Tiger's and Lion's and Bear's "Oh My!" She was like (Stru), "but of course ... you hop up to the window politely, to greet guest??" But Bella NO, I'm smacking into that door as hard and fast as I can cuz I wanna see who is there now!

And sure she is smiles and giggle's once she makes the initial hit?? But she will "scare the crap out of her if you don't know her or your a dog person. But we are retired and don't have friend's nearby. So other than I know "this ain't right??" It's just a quirk, I need to address?? At the same time, it's a great trait for getting rid of Door to Door salesmen's! Although ... the "Kirby Folk's," did get in and uh ... "We bought one!" :)
Yeah, my buddy had a lab that would do the same thing. We just chalked it up to him being dumb. lol Sweetest dog but would run into the door every time. Not sure why some dogs do that, you think they would get the point after a couple times. My other friend had a mix (don't know what it was) but if you left him outside by himself, he would climb up onto the roof and just hang out and watch the neighborhood. This was a 2 story house too, not a ranch. He would go onto the deck handrail and jump like 4' up to the roof. Dog was freakin nuts.

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
Well I have to put Like! And the roof climbing dog?? OMG!!! Bella is just annoying she's not Dumb ... slamming into the freaking door is an active choice! And yes bottom line is she does it cuz I allow it, my bad.

But that behavior is not gonna get her killed?? I guess unless a psycho comes to the door, it's not that big a deal. But NV is an open carry state, so there is that. But a "Roof Climbing Lab??" That is insane??? And while I am pretty sure, ,impressive, the dog could die! And I don't recall anything saying Lab's were particularly agile?? But hey I don't know?? I always thought Lab's were a pretty placid, goofy, people friendly, dog for the most part??

But the one (Lab) that came after me and Rocky once, that I stopped at the last second with my "Stick!" Was not messing around! And later I found out about the Lab Rage Thing?? But the roof thing is "Insane!" There is pretty much no excuse for that. The owner has to know. And if it is upstairs, there has to be a Sliding Door, that allows the dog access to a balcony?? Allowing that behavior to continue, is just crazy and irresponsible as I see it??

1 - 19 of 19 Posts