Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello: I'm trying to research the Boxer breed as a possible candidate for an additition to our household. Presently, I have a Labrador retriever of excellent breeding from a hunting line. So far no major health issues have come up. I'm glad to report that my 9yr old hunting partner is acting like a pup. Through researching the Lab...Breed I've discovered that there are 2 strains of the breed ( Show and Field) where many show pedigrees not even having retrieving instincts and many field pedigrees not even looking like Labs at all. The field pedigrees however, do seem to have less occurance of health issues such as Hip Dysplasia, Type 2 Muscle Fiber defincincy than the show lines. Know this, I'd like to know if the Boxer as a breed faces serius health concerns  and how do I go about finding a reputable breeder in my area for a working animal that still looks as a boxer should. I thought about contacting some Shutzthund or FrenchRingsport Associations, not to get an aggressive dog but to see if I could find a local pedigree with good physical and mental traits. Also, as I've mentioned we are looking for an addition to our family...not a gaurd dog as such. That, I'm sure, will occur naturally and be under control by virtue of proper obedience. I look forward to any usefull information and input. Thank you.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Hi and welcome to Boxer Forums.  :)  Kudos for you for doing your research. Here is a link for you that tells some of the things Boxers are predisposed to. It's quite a list, but not a complete list.

http://www.flbr.org/boxerhealth.html

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Oh if only more people would ask the same questions that you are!!! We wouldn't have so many lovely boxers that need homes....That link Tootsie gave you will be very helpful..One additional word tho. A good genetic pedigree, as you probably know from Labs, doesn't always guaranty perfect health. Things happen, but a good reputable breeder who knows what they are doing and is in it solely to make the breed better will only be breeding the best dogs possible... :)  I've had 4 boxers, none thank goodness with any major health issues. My Samson, who is 10 has some stiffness in the joints, due to age and a wee bit overweight, but easily fixed....I would feel much better about purchasing a pup from a good breeder and take my chances as it goes....

When I started researching my first boxer, I was appalled to find out the average life expectancy is 8-10 yrs...Not very long when you think about it. But it didn't change my decision then, nor will it in the future..Good luck and please let us know what you decide...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts