Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

Do you let your dog offleash around other dogs?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious how many have dogs that are a bit uncontrollable so they keep them on a leash at all times outside.

Yes - either at a dog park or outside in general, I let my dog off leash around other dogs

No - my dog doesn't get off leash with other dogs

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Re: Do you let your dog off leash outside, around other dogs

Rarely!!  My dog is a service dog and therefore isn't allowed that opportunity very often.  The only time she is allowed to play with other dogs is when we have a service dog meetup.  She has a great Boxer friend that is a Seizure Alert dog!  She loves playing with him, but will play nicely with all of them.  I only allow her to play with other service dogs because I know they are well trained and a VERY unlikely to behave inapprpriately with another dog or person.  This also gives her the opportunity to socialize with other well behaved dogs.  I find its way  better than taking her to a dog park and meeting dogs that neither one of us know to be well behaved or if the owner has any kind of control over the dog.  Some owners think that their dog (at the dog park) are being good and playful, when in fact the dog is being dominant and on the verge of aggressive behavior.  Some owners think its cute and playful.  I don't.  I want my dog around owners and dogs I can trust and that behave.

Liz and Lilly

·
Registered
342 Posts

Yes, my dogs are off the leash more than they are.  The only time they are on leashes is during walks.  My older one gets very aggressive towards other dogs when she is on the leash so if we are to let her play we have to keep her off of the leash.

·
Registered
616 Posts

Nope, no dog park around here.  :cry:   I would love to let them off leash more often but when we do, they only listen to themselves and can be dangerous!

·
Registered
1,552 Posts

It's illegal here (and in many areas) to have your dogs off leash if they're not in your fenced yard. ;)

·
Registered
1,302 Posts

Here too!  Only at dog parks and some beaches.  We dog our SD meetups at each others houses.  Its also easier to have a luau that way.

Liz and Lilly

·
Registered
7,757 Posts

Mine is off leash all the time. The only time she is on a leash is when we go for walks. But, she is never unsupervised.  :wink:

·
Registered
18,306 Posts

Angel is on leash at all times except for meetup...Samson is on leash for walks also, but around here, he's off leash...

·
Registered
627 Posts

My dogs are always on a leash unless in my own backyard (I've got a 10 foot fence around my whole backyard).  Roxy is pretty controllable but I think I'm just afraid of another dog hurting her or her running off, but she's pretty good and she listens when I call her.  I wouldn't trust Astro though.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts

Odin's on leash in public but off leash at home in the privacy of our backyard. We have a dog park or two here... but haven't been to them yet. I also recently learned not one of the beaches here allow dogs on the beach... not a 100% on this but I think you can get a "permit" if you are a home owner and then you can allow your dog on beaches that allow the "permit" but I think you have to pay for that.

I also let him offleash with our neighbors bigger dog... they play well together. I do some what worry about Odin getting hurt by another dog at a dog park... though I don't have any experience with that. I would love to do a meetup here... THOUGH I don't think (even if Odin was a service dog) all the dogs he'd ONLY be allowed to play with would be service dogs. That's kind of a put down to lets say the average boxer that is smart and sweet and not aggressive. But I'm not on that kind of level with Odin... so don't have experience at that either.

·
Registered
508 Posts

well mine used to be off leash all the time but after Zeus got attacked at the dog park by that Husky, it has grown fear into him and so now i am training him and trying to let him know that all dogs arent aggressive so i have him on leash at all times unless we are home. Except for this park by my house there is a secluded area that i let them off the leash but i have to keep good eyes on them and they play fetch. Im going to try to get some video today  :)

·
Registered
4,694 Posts

Mines off at home and on when we go out somewhere!

·
Registered
1,302 Posts

The only reason Lilly isn't allowed to play with dogs that aren't SD's is because I HAVE to have her healthy.  Now I know most dog owners are very careful about their dogs health, but here there are a lot that are not.  I cannot risk her being attacked by another untrained dog who's owner has no control over his dog.

It isn't a put down to other Boxers'.  If you lived here and wanted to meet up, I would may be fine with that because you are showing yourself to be a responsible pet owner and you work to have a solid relationship with your dog.

She only plays with other SD's because we all know each other (some of us are deaf or going deaf together, so we can sign and read lips together) and we all know each others dogs'.  We know our dogs are well behaved and under our control.

I've seen dogs be attacked at dog parks here (I used to do training classes at local dog parks...not anymore) and have seen more than one dog attacked by a dog whose owner thought the dog was being playful (when it was being aggressive), had no control over the animal, or who just didn't care and wanted to see what their dog would do at a dog park.

That scares the hell outta me!  

Lilly has saved my life on several occasions.  She is my ears.  She lets me know when my kids cry, when someone says my name, when someone is at the door or ringing the doorbell, when the phone rings...She is my lifeline to the outside world.  She protects me (I don't hear at all on the right side so she blocks and leans to let me know when someone approaches from that side).  She even wakes me up to the alarm clock in the morning.  Without her, I would live a life devoid of some pretty normal activities.  So I go outta my way to protect her.  

Most SD's are only allowed to socialize with other SD's for these very same reasons.

She gets to play and socialize with other dogs in a controlled setting and she is always getting to meet new people in her work.  

Enough of my ranting.

Liz and Lilly

·
Registered
11,429 Posts

Kiah is on leash unless we are at my sisters (fenced yard) where Kiah plays with her Springer.  There are a couple of dog parks here one fenced (need membership) and one not fenced.  You can get day passes so I plan to try it in the fall after Kiah has settled in a bit longer. Its hard to believe that I have had her only a month.

Boxer meetup June 16th will be interesting.

·
Registered
948 Posts

Toby is never on a leash at home or at my boyfriends and he's never on leash if we're at a closed in place where no other dogs are or in the country. Otherwise, he's on a leash... He's dog agressive if dogs rub him the wrong way, so I just avoid the altercations all together.. Now with Mia, if she loves other dogs and her recall is as good as Toby's, I'll let her off leash. Toby use to love dogs until he was attacked by a pitbull/boxer mix when he was 8 months old. That ruined him.. Thankfully, the dog is no longer in the area. Her owners would never keep her confined, so the ASPCA got her a new home.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts

Chloe is only on a leash when we take her for walks. I am forever trying to find dogs for her to socialize with but due to people thinking she is a pitbull, it never happens. I used to take her to the dog park until a dog came up and pinned Chloe down and tried bitting at her neck. After a heated arguement and cops being called, we left and never went back. Now she is in doggy daycare and is never leashed there and so far so good!

·
Registered
4,694 Posts

Kenya Roxy is the same way with dogs but only ON leash!! If I let her go she is perfectly fine with them?!?!?! Wierd huh? Thats with big dogs though little dogs for her is another story! She was attacked when she was about a year old by our neighbors imbred peke! He really is lol Brother sister mating. Anywho he ran through their electric fence (which I dont think was on) and attacked us! I know I know it sounds silly because Roxy could have stepped on him but she tried getting away and he grabbed her leg and ripped it open! Ever since then she wants to eat them but I dont blame her ALL the little dog owners are VERY irresponcible!! Ok off topic lol

ChloeBellesMom we are only about an hour away!!! We should get together sometime and let the girlies play!!

·
Registered
1,641 Posts

Aww! that would be great.  But right now she is in the process of being checked for ringworm :cry:  She had a sample sent to the lab last Thursday and I called today and so far no ringworm has shown up on it. They told me to give it another two weeks to be on the safe side to make sure nothing shows up, So Ms Chloe is in isolation but as soon as we get a clean bill of health from this we would love to meet you and Roxy!!

·
Registered
948 Posts

It takes Toby literally DAYS to get use to being around another adult dog.. and even then, I wouldn't trust him... His self esteem plumetted (sp?) after that and I feel so bad, but there was really nothing I could do.. This dog FLEW down the hill to my bf's and jumped on him and started biting him. Luckily my bf's dog was outside with us and helped out, but Toby hasn't been the same since..

·
Registered
905 Posts

Tink is like Roxy, she's fine with other dogs when she's off her lead, but if she's on it she gets very agitated.  I believe this is quite common, a lot of dogs feel like they're on the defensive when they're on a lead or tethered and they come across another dog.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts