Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the years I've read different things about dogs eating ice.

I guess I could ask my vet, but haven't. Last year we replaced our old fridge with one that has the ice dispenser on the outside. Most of us in our house like to have ice in our drinks.

Our older boys will take a few pieces if it's been in a drink so it has flavor.
Jax (one of them) will take a piece from the fridge every now and then.

Bandit, the puppy (about 16 months old), LOVES ice- he always has. Anytime you go into the kitchen and he hears the ice dispenser, he comes running in and stands or sits near you looking expectantly for his ice.

I think it makes his teeth feel good too since his adult teeth are coming in.
We will usually put a few pieces in a bowl for him to chomp down. We are in the SE US, so we have several warm months.

I'm curious about people's experience with furbabies and ice, and if you know of any serious concerns.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My parents 5 year old Weimeriner will follow my mom around the house after she gets ice in her cup and whine and beg for ice. If you give our Boxer mutt some ice he'll lick it and give you that "ok now what do you want me to do with it" look.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Gave a piece to Zuke once, sniffed it and then proceeded to smack it around the floor until it went under the stove and I had to move it to get it. That was the last time he got a piece of ice.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gave a piece to Zuke once, sniffed it and then proceeded to smack it around the floor until it went under the stove and I had to move it to get it. That was the last time he got a piece of ice.
Luckily Bandit doesn’t turn it into a hockey puck often. We started using a bowl if he gets more than a couple of pieces to help prevent that.
He likes to take them right from your hand generally and comps it down.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts