Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are looking for a 2nd boxer. One reeder I am looking at has "euro" boxers and does not dock tails. Having a boxer with a nub that goes 100 mph I am wondering how those of you with boxers an long tails cope. Are their tails constantly wagging and dos it create any problems in the house like knocking things down? I know my brother had a German short haired pointer that had a long tail and it ws always knocking things over, banging into your legs.
I have two breeders in mind for my next pup and I'm unsure which way I will go.

·
Registered
634 Posts
We are looking for a 2nd boxer. One reeder I am looking at has "euro" boxers and does not dock tails. Having a boxer with a nub that goes 100 mph I am wondering how those of you with boxers an long tails cope. Are their tails constantly wagging and dos it create any problems in the house like knocking things down? I know my brother had a German short haired pointer that had a long tail and it ws always knocking things over, banging into your legs.
I have two breeders in mind for my next pup and I'm unsure which way I will go.
I wish I could help, all of our boys have been cropped. I've read that this was usually done in Boxers because it is common for them to break or hurt their tails from wagging them as excitedly as they do, and of course - you add the entire rear end 'wagging' too- that's a lot of force. I'm interested to hear from others who have had wiggle butts with tails.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I've only known docked in Boxers but we had a lab mix that could clear a coffee table with his tail lol
Congrats on getting a second boxer!

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
I think really it comes down to owner preference??? A Boxer with a tail kinda sorta seemed "freakish to me???" But I saw them at a "Boxer and Buddies" rescue event. And honestly it really made no difference in the dog' personality??

Tail or no they were still all Boxers. Aside from my Boxer all my dogs have had tails. And I've found it to be no big deal???

But given a choice I would prefer the "docked" looked but the fact of the matter is it really makes no difference in the dog's personality. The tail on a "Boxer" is not really a make or break or for me. Now a "Dobbie, on the other hand ... that would be a Docked and Cropped dog. Those guys just look wrong with natural ears and a tail???

But a Boxer with a tail?? I'd not worry about it?? On the other hand ... I don't have a lot of nick nacks, about the house to be swept aside. :)

·
Super Moderator
7,050 Posts
I no longer dock my puppies. I love their tails and fully embrace them. A European boxer typically has a thick tail like a lab. They are no different than any other tailed dog... if you place items at tail height there is a risk things will get knocked.

Tail docking is purely cosmetic and serves no function.

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all. I did realize its cosmetic. LOL I like the look of a boxer with a docked tail, b ut maybe that just because that is what i am use to seeing. I will eventually make up my mind . Litters are coming January.

·
Registered
14 Posts
We have a male, Desi with his tail (first one we have with a tail) and it is a weapon. He wags his tail and whacks everything. I am more afraid of him hurting himself.
Our girl has her tail docked and just had 11 puppies on Sunday and we are taking them tomorrow to get their tails docked.
I suppose it is personal preference, but we prefer docked tails.

·
Registered
289 Posts
In The UK all boxers have tails, it is funny as they do the enthusiastic full body wag and you do worry they are going to hurt their tails but ours seems fine we just encourage her away from hard objects when she is saying hi. She has never actually knocked anything over with her tail, I wouldn’t dock the tail, it’s a big part of their personality.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts