Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently i have been having issues with my dog chewing on and damaging his docked tail. the vet suggested maybe amputating his tail even shorter an idea hat i am not fond of. Do any of you have any experience with something like this.

·
Registered
621 Posts
How old is your dog? Have you tried putting anti chewing stuff on his tail like bitter apple? Does he have dry skin or maybe could he just be bored maybe some new chew type toys would be a distraction? How much exercise does he get? It would seem to me amputating it further would just make him go after it more it will have a blood smell going on and I am sure he would be licking at it alot that would seem to make things alot worse.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How old is your dog? Have you tried putting anti chewing stuff on his tail like bitter apple? Does he have dry skin or maybe could he just be bored maybe some new chew type toys would be a distraction? How much exercise does he get? It would seem to me amputating it further would just make him go after it more it will have a blood smell going on and I am sure he would be licking at it alot that would seem to make things alot worse.
He is 2 and a half. the vet gave me an ointment but i have not tried bitter apple. his skin does not seem dry and he gets a lot of exercise

·
Registered
621 Posts
Is he playing when he does this or is it more like something is really bothering him? Its a real pain in the rear to have them have any kind of surgery in my experience its hard to get them to leave the stitches alone and I am afraid that would just make his tail thing worse. Have you tried giving him something to keep him occupied like a frozen Kong with peanut butter or some kind of chew that will keep him busy? I have heard of people using pool noodles cut and threaded thru a regular collar to keep them from turning around to gnaw on themselves I have never tried this yet but I heard it works. I just wonder if he has some kind of phantom pain in his nub from being docked it seems there is something going on.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Never heard of this issue before?? But "re-docking his tail??" Strikes me as kinda, uh insane???

Sound's like it's time for a new vet??? But and "assuming," his tail is causing some kind of "skin irritation??"

You could try "Well Horse." :
All Natural Resin Wound Skin Remedy Well-Topicals Ointments | Health Care | Equine

It's topical and a All Natural Antibiotic (so even if he lick's it off) it still work's! Now it is actually some kind of "nerve condition??" That's a bit different. But I would start with the Well Horse and use it at least a week and see it it help's. I use it all the time on me and my dog's ... well dog.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Never heard of this issue before?? But "re-docking his tail??" Strikes me as kinda, uh insane???

Sound's like it's time for a new vet??? But and "assuming," his tail is causing some kind of "skin irritation??"

You could try "Well Horse." :
All Natural Resin Wound Skin Remedy Well-Topicals Ointments | Health Care | Equine

It's topical and a All Natural Antibiotic (so even if he lick's it off) it still work's! Now it is actually some kind of "nerve condition??" That's a bit different. But I would start with the Well Horse and use it at least a week and see it it help's. I use it all the time on me and my dog's ... well dog.
thank you i will try that

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
I think re docking a tail is insane unless there is a true medical issue for it. It can become a bad habit if its allowed, perhaps as Chip said the "cream", maybe he had a bite or tick or something that irritated it and now he keeps biting at it. I guess you could also try a cone to stop the behavior to see if it helps any.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts