Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Our puppy is 4 months today. 馃檪. I made a quick visit to the vet today because i noticed his tail looked very odd. It literally looked like a snail was trying to pop out. We always seen bone, or so i thought it was his bone. but today it looked pink, very noticeable and just not right. (we were just at the vet 2 days ago for his distemper and parvo shots). So the vet said because he's growing and because obviously, his tail wasn't docked correctly that his bones are growing and basically pushing out against the skin.

The vet said to put neosporin on it with pain reliever for now so he doesn't bother the area. But if it becomes worse to call and schedule a surgery which they will remove a vertebrae. Does this mean redocking? Has this happened to anyone? He was fine since we got him but i think he's going through a growth spurt. I thought we were past anything wrong with his tail. For reference, his tail is already a nub, too short the vet says.

Will this heal on it's own do you think? He doesn't act like he's in any pain. What is my clue that his tail is growing properly and won't need surgery? If his tail bone does grow through his skin, will surgery be required or is it something that can/will heal? I'm just so nervous about everything. He's such a good boy and i don't want him any pain.

Thanks ahead of time.

Registered
Was your pup from a breeder? Seems if they did the docking, and really screwed it up you might be able to get some compensation for any possible future surgeries.

Never heard of what your pup is going through, but its sounds like the vets advice is right, from a practical stand point.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Yes, he is from a breeder. I was thinking of sending them an email notifying them that they will be getting a bill in the future if he does have to have surgery. And that they don't know what they're doing with docking and should stop doing it. We purchased an additional health warranty for the year and this should be covered under that.

I just want him to be ok and not have to have surgery.

Registered
Yes, he is from a breeder. I was thinking of sending them an email notifying them that they will be getting a bill in the future if he does have to have surgery. And that they don't know what they're doing with ducking and should stop doing it. We purchased an additional health warranty for the year and this should be cooked under that.

I just want him to be ok and not have to have surgery.
Yeah, I understand.

Hopefully it heals itself. If not, he is young and healthy and I'm sure he would be up and around in no time.

Registered
What have they said about the situation??? I had no idea such a thing could happen?? I knew crops (ears) could get screwed up but not docking??? Struddell had a nub for a tail, maybe two inches but it was never a problem?? I thought that was the norm???

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
So far the vet just wants to wait and see if his skin is able to stretch and not have the bone poke out. So far so good, he's not trying to get at his tail at all.

This is my first dog with a docked tail, i never knew about any of this stuff. I'm sure learning a lot.

Registered
I wouldn't imagine someone trying to do their own docking.....but some people in this world might. It's fairly cheap to have a litter dewclawed and tails docked I think it's like 25$ each puppy but even the vet can do some butchering to the tails! The proper length should be just long enough to cover their bh, too long can get in the way and be painfull if bumped into. Usually a exposed tip is from the mother or puppy licking the wound as it heals , if you do have it re done keep the cone on as long as possible so you don't end up doing it a 3rd time you'll run out of tail to dock

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Registered
I prefer docked myself if given a choice. But I will have to say the tail really makes no difference to their personality. When I was at Boxers and Buddies lots of Boxers had natural tails.

But I do have to say they were all outside, indoors that tail and a butt wiggle would most likely clear a coffee table of whatever was on it in a quick second, so there is that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts