Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is probably one of the most asked questions but I was wondering if you think Freddie looks underweight or okay.

He's 1 yr old this month and weighs approx 24.5kg (54 US Pounds) (I say approx because you try weighing a wriggly dog whilst standing on the scales  :D

We're feeding him twice a day with 225g each meal of Oscars Fish and Potato but he's coming to the end of that so we're starting to transfer over to Arden Grange Lamb and Rice where the suggested daily feed is only 330g for the whole day. He also gets biscuits throughout the day as well.

He's always sitting waiting for food whenever we're in the kitchen but I just think that's because he's a dog and would eat all he could if we gave him the chance! If only dogs could tell the truth as to whether they are hungry or not  :D

Now I have read on this forum that boxers do start gaining weight between 1 and 1.5 yrs old so I don't think there's anything to worry about but just wanted to get other peoples thoughts on Freddie.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Well he certainly looks good in that pic.
The best way to tell if they are under weight is if their hip bones and spine are sticking out/showing.  If you can see the hips, spine, and more than two ribs, then the dog is too thin.
Hope this helps.  I'm not sure about the amount your feeding, don't have my conversion chart handy, HA! :lol:  :wink:  :D   Plus, it's 4 am here now.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Freddie look perfect to me!

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Looks fine to me.

I've found the best way to weigh the dog is to first weigh myself, then weigh myself holding him, and then subtract the difference.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sully\";p=\"79981 said:
I've found the best way to weigh the dog is to first weigh myself, then weigh myself holding him, and then subtract the difference.
Yeah, he sometimes wriggles around when he's in my arms - the wriggly little devil  :D

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
he looks really good to me as well. just make sure no bones can be seen other than maybe the first 2 ribs. keep in mind you should be able to barely see the first 2 though

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
southerngirls\";p=\"80011 said:
he looks really good to me as well. just make sure no bones can be seen other than maybe the first 2 ribs. keep in mind you should be able to barely see the first 2 though
He's a funny one - sometimes you can see his ribs and sometimes you can't!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
As he is still basically a pup, you could up his food a wee bit, but he looks great to me...Or add a protein snack during the day...I like peanut butter & yogurt :)

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
greencode\";p=\"80017 said:
 He's a funny one - sometimes you can see his ribs and sometimes you can't!
Kiah is the same and I think she is at a really good weight.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Daisy is nearly three and she is a similar sort of build to Freddie. He will perhaps start to bulk out a bit as he stops growing.
He looks fine to me though!

Heather

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Freddie is just beautiful! He looks great to me...

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for everyone's input. He is doing really well and I'm not really concerned - more curious. I'm sure he'll fill out over time but I think he'll always be on the slender side.  :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
i feed my boxer 2,5kg of food a day but hes always hungry and he weights only 30kg(60cm)hes full of life and energy thou.the vet said theres nothing wrong with him,no physical problems,parasites and stuff like that hes just not a husky type!

·
Registered
20 Posts
freddy looks good from your photo.  my boxer, halas had the same issue - just a little on the skinny side.  we were neurotic about her being underweight, and i scoured the message boards and visited my vet.  basically what i got out of it was, some dogs are just thinner.  like humans, some just don't put on weight easily.  don't you just hate those people?   anyway, remember that it takes a boxer 2 - 2 1/2 years to fill out.  halas was really thin at 1 yr old, very much like your freddy.  she's 2 1/2 now and has filled out very nicely.  she's ripped!  i would die to her her muscle tone now.  huge muscles on her legs.

of course, i don't know your dog personally.  but, if freddy eats regularly - don't be too worried.  boxers need a good 2 yrs plus to fill out.  if you are really concerned, talk to your vet.  they really are your best resource.

our vet examined halas and said on a scale of 1-5 she was a 1 1/2.  the ideal is 2-3, so a little thin.  but, again, she was only 1 then.  the vet said to wait another year, and if she was still too skinny, then we should do something.

we feed halas a couple of scrambled eggs every other day, per my vet recommendations.  my vet instructed us too keep away from cheese and peanut butter - too much fat.

again, just my 2 pennies.  however, i wouldn't be worried.  you would rather have freddy a little smaller, than a little overweight.  much more danger comes from overweight dogs.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts