Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every morning when I take Tito to the washroom behind my house he always goes around smelling patches of grass where other dogs have peed then squirts a little bit of his own. Usually he takes a long pee then saves a bit for marking and sometimes he'll try to mark something but he's out of pee. And he just turned a year last week and started lifting his leg. I don't mind him doing it but sometimes he takes so long as wastes so much time and when we're walking he'll pull to smell and inspect every other tree or light pole in the park I walk him everyday. He's getting neutered on the 28th will it stop this behaviour?

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
It may help a little bit, but I have a 3 year old spayed female who will mark her territory. It's just a part of being a dog!  :lol:

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
When I walk Oggie, I don't allow him to smell everything he wants to.  I'd be waiting all day for him to inspect every inch of the walk.  The idea is to get him to walk briskly by your side, you have to be in full control.  Sure he still pulls and tries to smell everything, but I do my best not to let him.  He can smell along the way without stopping.  You can train him out of that it just takes consistency.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
[quote="sully\";p=\"127585":3ph297dv]When I walk Oggie, I don't allow him to smell everything he wants to.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Kash will mark Hanna's spot only after Hanna does.   You can walk him by the spot 10 times and he will mark only a fresh spot, but nothing else.

However it trulely amazed me that he has like a reserve tank for marking.  He will pee forever  then go mark her and I am like Dude?  where did you get the juice?  You just peed for like 5 minutes! :roll:

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Sometimes it can help and sometimes it is a learned behavior and it wont help at all...it is a wait and see thing...

If I had to guess the rolling in the woods is him picking up a scent of something else....just like they will roll in dead animals...(yuk) he probably smells something there such as urine of another animal (wood creature) and wants to roll in it.........

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
It can help, but then again it may not..Samson has been neutered and still, like Heather says, seems to have this "reserve tank" for marking things...I'm with Sully tho, I finally had to let Samson know that it was not ok to stop at every shrub, bush, fence, tree stump, you name it..We stop when I say so :) ..training

·
Banned
2,813 Posts
Paco is neutered but still marks on walks when I let him so I'm not sure if the surgery helps or not. Where they store up all the extra pee I have no idea. He also likes to roll in "stuff", like when the neighbors cat pooped in the flower bed. GROSS!!! Was late to work from giving him a bath after that one. Why on earth they want to smell nasty I have no idea.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Yeah, that has always amazed me. They have the ultra sensitive sense of smell and they choose to roll in the stinkiest sorts of things. Strange... I'm lucky Max hasn't done this.

But he can pee with the best of 'em! Man, it's like, were your eyeballs floating, buddy? And still has a squirt or two for marking.

·
Registered
648 Posts
LOL one of the reasons I wanted a female. However, they both like to sniff and mark.  However, the key is to train them with a word to help them know they need to do their business. Also, like others have said allow him to mark or sniff when you release him to do so.

Now if you start doing this be sure to keep him out just a bit longer after he goes so he doesn't start to figure out (which he will) as soon as he pees he has to go back inside! They are smart buggers!

·
Registered
7,902 Posts
Im quite lucky caus Zulu will hardly wee at all when we are out on walks and never poo's apart from in the garden. :D

Some days we walk for 2 hrs and he pee's once, and when we get home he rushes to the back door to go out and will pee for about 5 mins :D  Crazy dog.

We do have days that he will sniff loads and scent a few times, i generally just let him when he wants to because of the fact that he hardly does it.

On the other hand my two poodles are terrible they want to sniff every second of the walk, lick the grass, roll on the floor and all the other stuff that goes with it. They will even continue to cock there legs as if they are going when the wee wee tank is empty, almost like they havent noticed 8O  :lol:  :lol:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts