Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It just seems to me that she looks frail. When we got her, she was VERY thin (at 2 months), but she bulked up fast. She is going to be an extremely tall boxer, much taller than I've seen most others at this age...seems her weight is not keeping up with her height.

She just turned 4 months. Anyway, we have a vet appt for her, just a check up in a week to make sure!

(side note: I feed my two pups at the same time of the day together, and for the last few weeks stopped monitoring their eating because everything seemed ok, they gobble their food down in no time....I have a feeling my other pup might be eating her food before she can? I'll have to start monitoring again, and if that's the case, they will have to be fed seperately.)

I took these photos 2 days ago-the first one especially alarms me as I didn't notice so much until I saw these pics on my computer.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Re: Does she look thin to you?

The first picture shows more then any others that she could probably use a couple extra lbs...

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
She does look a wee bit thin, but at that age, they are growing terribly fast..I seem to remember that Buck looked a lot like that too...Can you see her spine? If so, that is a good indicator that she's too thin..You want to be able to see the ribs to a certain degree, that's what make them boxers...Have your vet check her out when you see her/him, but to be honest, I don't think you have anything to worry about..

As for the feeding, I would definitely stay in the room while they are eating...I always monitor mine..Samson is on a diet and always finishes before Angel does, so if she gets distracted and walks away, Samson will waltz over and finish her food...Oh no, that ain't happening....Set their dishes down, but apart from each other, a good 5 feet between and just stand and watch. It doesn't take long for them to eat and worth it to see what's happening too... :)

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
How many times a day do you feed?

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I'm with everyone else here...She does look a little thin but not malnourished. She is still growing at an alarming rate. She looks big for four months, so I would guess she will be a big girl. She will grow into herself! I can't see any spine, so I wouldn't worry. I would do as Nano said, and try feeding 3-4 times a day with a high quality food and see how she does. It is better she be on the thin side than on the heavy side. Keep us updated on her progress.  :)

·
Registered
616 Posts
Looks like an ackward/gangly teenage phase!  Seems like they become all legs and nothing else for a while  :lol:   I have to monitor both of ours all the time.  Gunner will eat all of Scouts if we don't watch him!

·
Registered
905 Posts
Tink was also very thin for a long time - you could see all of her ribs as well as her hip bones.  I changed her food and she has started bulking out now.

I also recall that Jennifer (Newcastle) mentioned in another post that they go through a "walking skeleton" phase, so maybe she's just i the midst of that too.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I give diesel food literally every time we walk through the kitchen, yet he's still got a few ribs showing. But he's finally got the puppy pull away skin =P

At her age she's growing so quickly, and I've heard boxers dont grow 'wider' til they're about 2 years old. Just taller up until then.

Maybe just add a bit more to her meals, but I'm sure she'll be ok.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts