Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are slowly in the process of switching Vegas food. We choose Solid Gold Puppy food for Large Breeds (wolf pack). Her farts are eye watering, nose burning, gag reflex causing malicious little things.   I am thinking, Daddy picked the wrong food  :lol: I was driving in the car with ehr yesterday and we were heading up to Red Rocks for a mini-hike, I hear a small pfft.... and a big WHOA from me! 8O   This little thing came out of my little baby and smelled worse then me the day after a drunken night and Taco Bell.  :signeek:    Anywho, Just was curious and wanted to share.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I remember reading up on boxers and it saying that they were known for there flatulence "issue". I was wondering if we got lucky with Odin cuz' I never noticed anything... till he was about 16 or so wks old... it started!! LOL OMG It's so bad... like 3 times a day at least... that I end up smelling it. Some days worse than others. I think it's normal for a boxer... from what I've heard. But it's gross and hilarious at the same time... depending on who he SBD's!! LOL How can a little Pfft be so STRONG in smell!!????

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Yes, Nothing like boxer farts to clear out a room!  8O  As long as she is doing well on the Solid Gold I wouldn't change the food. Try giving her a tablespoon of low fat unsweetened plain yogurt every day. I like the Stoneyfield Farms brand because it has more of the good probiotics in it. I give that to Maddie every night and I don't get gassed out of the room anymore.

*PS - I would recommend no more drinking and Taco Bell for you!  :bigrazz:  Or maybe try the yogurt as well!!

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I have never used Solid Gold puppy but Kiah is on the Hund -N-Flocken (adult, gold bag) and no problems there.  I know the silver bag is for puppies but it has 28% protein and not sure if that is too high or not.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
[quote="kiahsmom\";p=\"18977":nzr8xnuz]I have never used Solid Gold puppy but Kiah is on the Hund -N-Flocken (adult, gold bag) and no problems there.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So here is the difference. It doesn't seem to be that much, 2%. Any thoughts? Is that 2% enough or is 26% to high for Boxer pups. This is the food my friend gave Bailey (his boxer) when she was a pup. I am always up advice so please let me know.

Here is the one Vega is eating.

WolfCub Puppy for Large Breeds
(bison)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Formula!

High energy diets, like most puppy foods, can promote rapid growth in large breed puppies, which can play a role in the development of orthopedic diseases. WolfCub Large Breed Puppy Formula contains lower amounts of protein, fat, calories, and calcium than Hundchen Flocken Puppy Food to help control the growth process. Research shows that a Calcium level of 1.5% or less is the most suitable for a large breed puppy.

Protein, Min 26%
Fat, Min 12%
Fiber, Max 4%
Moisture, Max 10%
Calcium, Max 1.5%
Phosphorus, Max 1.2%
Calories per cup, 375

Ingredients
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bison | Salmon Meal | Brown Rice | Millet | Cracked Pearled Barley | Rice Bran | Canola Oil | Tomato Pomace | Flaxseed | Natural Flavor | Salmon Oil (source of DHA) | Choline Chloride | Taurine | Dried Chicory Root | Parsley Flakes | Pumpkin Meal | Almond Oil | Sesame Oil | Yucca Schidigera Extract | Thyme | Blueberries | Cranberries | Carrots | Broccoli | Vitamin E Supplement | Iron Proteinate | Zinc Proteinate | Copper Proteinate | Ferrous Sulfate | Zinc Sulfate | Copper Sulfate | Potassium Iodide | Thiamine Mononitrate | Manganese Proteinate | Manganous Oxide | Ascorbic Acid | Vitamin A Supplement | Biotin | Calcium Panthothenate | Manganese Sulfate | Sodium Selenite | Pyridoxine Hydrochloride | Vitamin B12 Supplement | Riboflavin Supplement | Vitamin D Supplement | Folic Acid |

Hundchen Flocken Puppy (lamb)
New Formula! Ideal for growing small and medium breed puppies, to maintain total health.

Protein, Min 28%
Fat, Min 14%
Fiber, Max 4%
Moisture, Max 10%
Calories per cup, 410

Ingredients
Lamb | Lamb Meal | Ocean Fish Meal | Brown Rice | Millet | Cracked Pearled Barley | Canola Oil | Tomato Pomace | Rice Bran | Flaxseed | Natural Flavor | Salmon Oil (source of DHA) | Choline Chloride | Taurine | Dried Chicory Root | Amaranth | Parsley Flakes | Spearmint | Almond Oil | Sesame Oil | Yucca Schidigera Extract | Kelp | Thyme | Blueberries | Cranberries | Apples | Lentils | Quinoa | Vitamin E Supplement | Iron Proteinate | Zinc Proteinate | Copper Proteinate | Ferrous Sulfate | Zinc Sulfate | Copper Sulfate | Potassium Iodide | Thiamine Mononitrate | Manganese Proteinate | Manganous Oxide | Ascorbic Acid | Vitamin A Supplement | Biotin | Calcium Panthothenate | Manganese Sulfate | Sodium Selenite | Pyridoxine Hydrochloride | Vitamin B12 Supplement | Riboflavin Supplement | Vitamin D Supplement | Folic Acid |  
Recommended Feeding Chart (in cups):
Dogs
Weight 6-11 weeks 3-4 months 5-7 months 8-12 months
3-5 1

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
The silver bag I am talking about is not the Wolfcub but the Hund-N-Flocken puppy.  The rescue where I got Kiah recommended the Hund-N-Flocken.  I believe it is lamb, not sure what the wolfcub is.  Here is the % of the wolfcub:    
Protein, Min 26%
Fat, Min 12%
Fiber, Max 4%
Moisture, Max 10%
Calcium, Max 1.5%
Phosphorus, Max 1.2%
Calories per cup, 375

And the Hund-N-Flocken puppy:
Protein, Min 28%
Fat, Min 14%
Fiber, Max 4%
Moisture, Max 10%
Calories per cup, 410

Website:  http://www.solidgoldhealth.com/products/showcat.php?cat=0

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
We've been feeding Charile and Sadie the Solid Gold Mmelinia.  Sadie farts quite a bit, but I guess we're lucky cause most don't have any odor at all.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
HaHaHaHa!!!  :rofl:  I think Eimear summed it up in a nutshell, especially for boxers!

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
No extra gas  :lol:

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Word! The yogurt does help though. But that little gas machine can put out some methane lemme tell yah.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
I tend to stick to 22-24% protein when feeding puppies - but thats just me.    Higher protein counts will contribute to excellerated bone growth.   With that acceleration, the pups muscles and supporting tissues cannot keep up at the same growth rate thus can result in injury.    I highly advise against Innova Evo for puppies which has protein of 30 something.

I feed raw, but use Timberwolf grainess kibble too (24% protein).   At first with Kash I did notice some gas probablly due to the richness of the kibble.   Yogurt or a simple probiotic can help in the digestion of the rich food like others have mentioned.

Good Luck - nothing beats a nice dutch oven at night:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts