Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chloe has had these bald spots behind both ears since June, We first thought it was the start of ringworm because it was spreading down to her neck but that came back negative. She doesn't itch there and it isn't inflamed at all, it's just bald. Her vet doesn't seem concerned about it but I am! lol   Is there anything that can be done to treat seasonal hairloss? Also does anyone else's boxer have a problem with their ears getting crusty little scabs around the edges? that's another thing we are dealing with.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
That is exactly what Kiah has, but she has hair loss on her chest too (just thinner hair in places).  My vet didn't seem too concerned about the hair loss but she did think that she had a skin infection so she was on antibiotics for 10 days.  The hair on her chest does seem a tiny bit better (could be my imagination or wishful thinking) but the hair loss behind her ears looks just like Chloe's.  I didn't know if it was part of her food allergy or what it was.  It sure is frustrating.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It sure is frustrating Barb, I thought it was due to Chloe's allergies too but when we took Chloe to the cardiologist and he was checking her over and seen the spots behind her ears..He said..Looks like someone has seasonal hairloss..She's been on a pretty strict diet for almost 3 months with no signs of the hair coming back and it's now spreading to her chest. She also had no itching so I'm completely confused..but nothing new LOL.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Zeus had some hair loss behind his ears as well that looked like that but it grew back pretty quick. We never took him to the vet because it wasnt bad. If that helps you out a little bit.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
You said she has allergies, so I was wondering if she wears a collar and if that could be causing some kind of reaction.  Just a thought.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Hanna gets spots from itching places where she has alergies.    We have finished (knock on wood) the alergies.   And her fur is growing back real nice.

I do however recommend using some fish oils and other things to boost the immune system.   Esp in young pups where they tend to have weaker ones than adult dogs!

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
My vet said Boxers have thin skin so they don't have as much hair as other dogs.  I told her that Kiah had hair there before, and then she said "Oh then it will probably grow back".  This was the follow up call after the antibiotics.  I had read about seasonal hair loss but thought it only happened on their legs and not head or chest.  It also looked like the skin was darker where this happened but it isn't on Kiah.  I think I read that there was something vets could give them but there were no guaranties it would work.  I will have to go back and read about it again; the rescue has a link on their webpage.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hoosier has thin hair there as well. He also has allergy symptoms too, we suspect a food allergy. He really doesn't scratch there or anything though. We had the vet take a look (he had a funny head shake for a while) at his ears and he sent us home with some antihistimine. No more funny head shake, but the hair is still thin. His ears "flop" back to this area pretty regularly too, so its gonna take even longer for the hair to really fill in.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
It does look like seasonal hair loss to me also.  If she is not scratching there or at her ears and no major fleas.  If that is the case it will grow back  :D (sometime)

On the crusty ear thing you can use any kind of cream made for athletes foot and it will clear that right up

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Both my dogs have that and it turns out to be sarcoptic mange or scabies.  They apparently picked it up out in the yard from a wild fox or coyote which must have laid there.  We are currently in our second round of treatment with ivermectrin for it.  I even have felt the itches, but the guys around here haven't.

Nano

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I sure hope my vet would recognize mange and scabies or at least would have tested for it.  We do have wild animals that come in the yard from the area that we call a green belt that is just down the street.  Lots of small animals; racoons, skunks, etc.  If it turns out to be one of those I am sure changing vets.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Chloe had 2 skin scrapings so far this year for mange and both came back negative. But as a precaution her vet put her on Revolution for a few months as a treatment for the mange in case she did have it but there is still no difference. He said she would have a lot of itching if it was mange and the spots would be inflamed but they aren't. I don't know how true this is Barb but I have read on a few sites about the Pinna-Pedal Reflex if you suspect you dog has mange..I tried this for the heck of it and her back leg didn't move. Sarcoptic Mange and Pinna-Pedal Reflex

·
Registered
248 Posts
Ries got this back when she was on prednisone, everything about her skin and coat changed. There was a lot of shedding. The head collar is what made her bald. But everything is back to normal now. And she also had those bumps and scabs on the ends of her ears. No clue what it was, and they started after the meds. They ened up going away on their own.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Demodex

I took our Bronc to the vet last week for shots and casually brought up two areas of hair loss. I had brought it up the visit before but was assigned to a different vet that didn't even acknowledge my concern. Our original vet did a skin scrape and found Demodectic Mange. :cry_baby: We are working our way through the Ivermectin regimen and the spots actually look a little better already. Bronc never really scratched or seemed bother by it, but I'm glad we discovered the problem and are now on the road to recovery!

Hopefully you figure out is going on with the doggies and everything will be fine!

·
Registered
6 Posts
My boy is 1.5 yrs old it seems the hairloss is speading to his body as well but its just a thinning of the undercoat.I have changed his food to a grain dairy egg soy free brand he doesnt seem to be bothered by the hair loss and isnt itching.Im gonna wait it out and visit the vet in a week if there is more hair loss . Did anyone have sucess with melatonin?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts