Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Have you tried a rolled up newspaper?  A good swat or two on the behind, along with verbal correction doesn't hurt them, but the sound startles them and diverts their attention from the behavior.  This method helped to cure my lab, Chipper, of a multitude of sins when he was a puppy.  I've also heard of filling a plastic jug with small rocks and throwing it near them  (not on them - LOL) whenever they do something wrong.  Good luck!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tried the newspaper. But now when I read the newspaper he will jump on the couch and grab the paper while I am reading it. So I just now put him in the crate.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts

Isis is too lazy to counter surf lol but she DOES do the table thing..even our END TABLES !!! havent caught a pic of that yet b/c she jumps down when i get up to get the camera lmao

·
Registered
880 Posts
If you use the command Down if you want them off of something you should use a different command for lie down.  I use OFF for get off things.  Jetta is really good about not getting on things, but Oscar is of the belief "where theres a will theres a way."

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Sophie's a real expert at counter surfing.  She will get down when I say no, but as soon as I turn around she's right back up there.  I saw Victoria Stillwell (hope that's the right name) use sound diversion to cure a dog of doing that.  The trick is to use a quick loud noise that the dog doesn't associate with you, but that startles him and stops the action.  You have to be tricky and quick so you can make the noise without the dog seeing you do it.  Hope this helps.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Our counters are custom made, so they are higher/taller than your standard kitchen counters.  They are like 45" high, so Henry can't reach! :lol:

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
He looks so cute with this dish towel!  

Lola was a counter surfer and I just kept telling her off.  Now she only does it when we're not looking, but she gives herself away because she plays VERY LOUDLY with whatever she gets off the counter!  Just push everything as far back as you can and keep reinforcing the "off" command.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts