Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a male 2 1/2 year old boxer that hardly lifts his leg when he pees, so about 99% of the time he pees all over his front paw (gross!) and we're constantly wiping off his pee-paws before we let him back in the house. I don't know how to teach him to lift his leg higher, does anybody have any pointers?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,679 Posts
LOL!!! Sorry for laughing...

Not really sure what you can do about that.  He might have a hip problem and cant lift his leg high enough!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,306 Posts
Yea Angela, that was the first thing I thought of as that is an issue with Samson..That back leg doesn't go up much at all anymore..He also has a hard time going poo as well...Not to scare you saying that could be it, maybe he's just getting lazy, I've seen both Buck & Samson do that...As far as teaching him to lift higher, not sure how you would go about that one...A demonstration?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tend to think it's not a hip problem because he runs, jumps, climbs, really gets his leg up when he's "grooming". Now that I think of it, I don't think he's ever seen another male dog do his business. Maybe if he sees another dog he might see how it's really done. Thanks for your comments.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,468 Posts
rocky-n-marie\";p=\"82197 said:
I tend to think it's not a hip problem because he runs, jumps, climbs, really gets his leg up when he's "grooming". Now that I think of it, I don't think he's ever seen another male dog do his business. Maybe if he sees another dog he might see how it's really done. Thanks for your comments.
You might be right!  Our boxer, Duke, hiked his leg on every plant/bush/tree in our back yard when we first got him, and I shooed him away whenever he did it (he was killing the plants, which are very young).  The poor guy was so confused, but he soon learned to squat like our lab does.  Luckily, he doesn't go on his own feet.  He'll still lift his leg out on a walk when we pass a tree.  He's learned that's ok.  

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,597 Posts
Its pretty common for some males to never lift their legs when peeing.  Some say its a learned behavior.  Maybe he needs more time hangin with the boys   :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
880 Posts
Oscar catches himself from time to time, but even my female Jetta is able to get up mid pee and hit her bad back leg.
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Bo 99% of the time squats...the other 1% of the time, he lifts his leg to pee on snow piles...60% of the time, he gets his foot...
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top