Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

I just got a puppy about 9 days ago.  She doesn't seem to recognize her name yet.  Am I expecting too much too soon?  Is there any tips or games that will help her learn her name?  Thanks for the help!  This place is great!

·
Registered
521 Posts
just a lot of repetition, patience and time :)  my pup is 9 weeks as well, and i make sure i use his name all the time (not nicknames for now).  he responds a little more each time.  its progress! keep it up!

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
It took my Henry a couple of weeks to get used to me calling his name.  I would get on the floor with him and say his name, when he looked at me I praised like crazy and told him how good he was to know his name.  It will take some time, but 9 days isn't long enough to worry. :)
Zhanna

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
She'll get it. Everytime you talk to her just say her name first. Use it at the start of every sentence. Hang in there!  :p

·
Registered
616 Posts
Make sure she looks at you when you say her name.  Maybe snap your fingers first and then say "XXXX, Good Girl!"  Sorry, you didn't tell us her name!  Just keep repeating her name and she will catch on quick.  Boxers are very intelligent.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I took Lola to puppy class.  One of the first exercises we did was the name game.  Just sitting with your puppy, wait until they are looking around (at anything but you) then say their name and when they look at you, click and give a treat (we were using clickers).  Not only does it help teach their name, but it teaches them that when you say their name you want them to look at you, you want their attention.  I'm a fan of the clicker.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Keep working at it....Sometimes it takes a bit for a pup to recognize their name...It's probably easier to get down on her level, let her see your face, call her name, reward her.. back up a bit and do it again and again....Use a favorite toy, preferably a squeaky to get her attention..Make any lesson a fun experience and you will get better results....Just don't over do it...Boxers get bored easy, so vary up anything you do and make your sessions short, esp with a puppy....

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
I just went through this with my girl. When we adopted her, her name was mandie and we changed it to savannah. Lucky for us she is a little older so she took to the name fairly quickly. To get her attention i would would snap my finger and then call her name. She would look at me. I slowly stopped snapping and would just say her name. It only took her about 2 days to learn her name. Like i said though-she is two yrs so she learned a lot quicker than a pup would. Keep up the sessions, and be sure to praise, praise, praise!! Good luck!!

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Keep at it... Every time she goes to the bathroom, or every time you are in contact with her call her by her name

1 - 9 of 9 Posts