Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay...I was so excited because John and I ran into another Boxer about 3 weeks before we got Tango.  We made out that once we got him and he had all shots we'd start bringing Tango around the dog park that Cain hung out at.  We've been there a number of times now but have only seen Cain two times. The first time Cain pinned Tango down but I didn't really think anything of it.  Tango is quiet the rambunctios little guy and doesn't know when to give.  Today we were there again and it was even worse...or maybe I'm overracting??  Cain again, right away pinned Tango and start putting his mouth on his neck.  I don't know if he bit because Tango didn't cry.  They were all tangled in the leash too, because I hadn't even let Tango off yet and it was tied really tight around Tango's neck.  I was freaking out.  We got the leash off and we let them go with the other dogs and they were fine ... for a while.  Cain got aggressive with Tango two more times where he "bit".  Cain is an unaltered 10 month old male and they are, I believe, the only 2 males that are usually at the park with a bunch of female dogs.

I am usually the really calm, laid back one.  I let Tango go up to other dogs (after I've talked to the owner from a distance, etc.).  My bf is usually the one that freaks out and when we walk Tango is very cautious of who Tango meets up with, but let me tell you, I was scared today and it was the first time I ever felt like that.  Even the owner of Cain was surprised.

Do you think this is something I should be concerned about, or are they doing what comes naturally to establish dominance?  Right about now I'm thinking that I'm not so thrilled about ever taking him back to meet up with Cain.  I know Boxers play rough, but like I said, this actually scared the crap out of me!

Any advice?

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
They IMO need to figure out how to play with each other.  Being only dogs this (dog park) is the only thing that that gives them parctice at playing besides being around other pets they know and are familar with.   I would just watch it.  If they are playing hard and one is uncomfortable that one will let the other know what will be tolerated and what wont.  Yes they can play vocal but iMO you can tell a dog that is playing too aggressively and ones that is just playing vocal.    If they dont play nice or the way you would like - then maybe they are just not the right dog for Tango to play with.

Hanna can totally play with Bumpy's two dogs Shelly and Keanu 24/7.  But some dogs she just dont not play with that well so we dont let her play.  Its not her fault, we try, just personalities did not mesh and not worth any risks:)

·
Registered
648 Posts
Once a week I get together with other dog owners and a trainer. Among the dogs is another female boxer named amy. Amy is very dog aggressive so I have never let her play with her.

IMO the problem with dog parks are the humans not the dogs. Some humans let dogs do whatever they want and never stop any agression or over excited behaviour.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I agree with not going to dog park's.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Sorry to butt in, but we don't know any other dogs for Lucy to play with, besides my pomeranian who does not like her. What are my other choices if not dog parks?

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
DiamondLucy\";p=\"127978 said:
Sorry to butt in, but we don't know any other dogs for Lucy to play with, besides my pomeranian who does not like her. What are my other choices if not dog parks?
Thanks everyone!  And yeah, that's kind of my problem too.  There aren't that many dogs in the neighbourhood where Tango could just go and play, other than his girlfriend Kuda (my mom's neighbour), and I want him to be properly socialized.  My Rottie grew up in the dog park.  We went every single weekend and any weeknight I could fit in.  I always thought it was great for socialization and nothing ever happened in the 6 years we went.  He was always happiest when he knew we were going.  Maybe I was just lucky.  I have heard from more and more people say that dog parks are not a good place to be.

The other dogs all get along great and even Cain is fine with the others, it's just with Tango he seems to have an issue, which upsets me ~  he's the only other Boxer we have run into!  The owner is great though.  He is on top of Cain in an instant and we're at a loss as to why Cain is reacting in the way he is.

I just don't really think Cain is a dog that he should be around and I guess we'll keep our distance, which is a shame.   :(

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
You can find others with dogs and work as I suggested to see if they get along with each other.  Puppies usually have a 5 month grace period where most other dogs will tolerate them.  Pick dogs that are quiet and gentle with others and keep all experiences positive. I would suggest using the method I described for Cain's owner also.  He needs to learn to play easy with others or the playing stops. Practicing good behavior is worth it's weight in gold.  

Nano

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Did they ever leash Cain and try to put him in timeout and tell him no?  When we took our two to the dog park, Sadie did very well and spent the majority of the time off her leash.  Charlie didn't listen, and he ran and stopped in front of a guy, then jumped up for lovins.  It was weird, he doesn't even do that with us.  But he was leashed and had time out.  He spent some time there because he didn't want to listen.  When we go to the dog park, I personally like to walk them around for about 10 minutes to teach them the boundaries and to try to calm them.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, Cain's owner leashed him a couple of times for a few minutes at a time and sat away from the pack. He was taken off guard himself at Cain's behaviour!

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I know what everyones saying about dog parks, and at this point I wouldn't take Autumn to one because she's a little timid still, and I wouldn't probably ever take Pippin to one because she would get herself into trouble for sure, but Tessa is extremely well mannered with other dogs, and she knows which ones to keep away from, which ones to play with.  She will ignore a dog that is being rude or any dog that might give her any problems, and so they leave her alone too.  

As you were saying msdiamonddawg, your rottie got along fine too, so I think it really depends on the dog and how well balanced they are.  Unfortunately it's so hard to find dogs like that, which is what you need to get young dogs to be the same!

If only everybody had a personal Cesar Millan! haha

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Ask at your vet's about other Boxer owners, or your pet store. Those are good starting points..I prefer mine playing with their own kind, not that I am snob or nothing, but they seem to do better most of the time

·
Registered
156 Posts
IMO it really depends how much they're socialized at the dog park to begin with.  I bring Major there like at least 4 times a week, and have been taking him there since he was 4 mos. old.  The people are usually pretty good in that if their dog is starting to get aggressive then they leave.  There's also a "time-out" section there.  I think personally that the dog park is one of the best things for the dogs, and don't let one experience with one dog ruin the dog park.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
We have had great experiences at our dog park but we also have a park person that makes sure that people have their park tags and aggressive dogs are removed.   Most owners are really good about keeping track of their dogs but their still are squabbles sometimes but I have never seen anything serious.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts