Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my neighbors dog was outside at night, and I went to go to my car and he started barking at me, well I go back inside. I assumed that they would have caught him before morning. The next day in the morning I take my boxer, Zeus to go potty, so I let him out. I then hear barking and the neighbors dog is chasing mine up along the fence (the fence is separating them). They are both barking at each other. I have no shoes on so I run and grab them, to bring my dog in from the backyard. Well, while I was grabbing my shoes, Zeus jumped the fence. I go out front and it seems like they are playing or just starting to fight. Then, they start biting each other. I run out their not thinking, so I can pull my dog away and get him inside. They are fighting on my lawn and the neighbors lawn. The neighbor finally comes out and grabs his dog, and Zeus runs to the front door he is bleeding a bit, and has puncture wounds. I call vets everywhere and they are either booked or closed, so I have to wait until Monday to take him in. Zeus was in pain a little yesterday and then today he is okay. I am going to take him in anyways to make sure there is nothing wrong. I grabbed a long leash and a stake so when my dog goes outside he wont jump the fence or get out, when the neighbors dog is loose. My dog is a lover not a fighter, my dog has been around many dogs from small to big, and plays well with them. This has happened before where his dog was out and I didn't know he was out, and I took my dog to go outside, then they are barking at each other, but they didn't get into a fight.I dont know if I should talk to my neighbors and see if his dog got hurt? Their's and my dog look a lot alike except he is a pitbull or a mix between. Yeah but anyways we are both at fault, my dog jumped the fence while their dog started the fight or provoked it.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Yeah sounds like a little bit of both are at fault. Good you recognized it and are going to use a stake.

Are you on friendly terms with the neighbor. Could you go talk to them and say that you are going to keep Zeus from jumping the fence and maybe they can really try to keep their dog on their property?

Good luck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah they are really friendly neighbors, and I plan on talking to them, I will see if I can do anything to help.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
I am sorry that happened. I'd talk to the neighbor and hopefully they are friendly about it. Since Zeus jumped the fence you would be at fault, even though neighbor dog insisted it. Maybe the neighbor would like to chip in with you and put up a higher & better fence. It would be for both your protection to prevent this from ever happening again. My neighbor has a dog that loves to bark. My dogs get all excited when he does so I try not to take them out at the same time but it does happen. I have a stockard 6ft high fence so its good. He has a 4ft iron fence, my dog ould jus that but thats only at the front of the house and I don't let my dogs go unleashed out front. So it works for us. I also have some chicken wire just under the fence line and bricks so no one can dig in. Mine are always supervised, his is not. This way we stay good neighbors, LOL

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Well count on me ... me to have a different take on this. :)

But first glad your dog was not hurt badly! But that was "incidental" your "real issue" is your dog hopped over the fence! And now ... he knows he can! If there is enough motivation for him by "anything" on the other side of the "fence" he now Knows he is free to hop that boundary!!

That is your real issue! "Never" let him out front unsupervised again ... is the simplest solution. Beyond that ... he will need to be "taught" to respect that fence! Because "now" he knows ... he can go over it! And there are no "consequences!" The "Dog Fight" did not mean crap to him as that was his goal! He did it once ... so know he "knows" he is free to leave the yard if he so chooses!

Most likely the "simplest option" would be an "invisible fence" about a foot away from the fence line?? Although that is not infallible, if his motivation is high enough ... he could still blow thru it!! Other than that ... it's a real E-Collar and a "High Level Correction" and most likely "luring him" to make a "mistake!"

You made a mistake and you got "lucky" this time ... maybe the next time. not so much?? But now you now ... he will go over that fence if he "chooses to do so!" Teaching a dog to "make better choices" is always the key to success, cause you know ... sometimes "Crap Happens??" And the best preparation for the unexpected ... is a well trained dog and sigh ... for the record, I'm working on that one right now, new rescue ... sigh. :crazyeye:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I will have to watch him outside now. I know it is half my fault for my dog jumping the fence, I will have to get an invisible fence as well to teach him, if he ever jumps the fence again. Thanks for your opinions, I really appreciate it! Thank you 🙂

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Yes I think the invisible fence in addition to what you have with be a good deterrent to keep him from jumping the fence again. Its good you both are responsible neighbors and are taking care that it won't happen again. I hope Zeus is ok as well as the other dog.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Yeah I will have to watch him outside now. I know it is half my fault for my dog jumping the fence, I will have to get an invisible fence as well to teach him, if he ever jumps the fence again. Thanks for your opinions, I really appreciate it! Thank you 🙂
Did not mean to dump on you as it were?? And it was "probably" going back in to grab some shoes. :)

But hey crap happens and we all my mistakes. But if we get "lucky" we and our dogs get to learn to do better! Been there done that ..uh right now as it happens.:

https://www.boxerforums.com/general-boxer-forum/205492-new-dog-house-chip-beat-down-were.html

Gotta update ... as there has been "some" progress. :)

My "other dogs" ... did not need a fence, "On the Lawn" was an actual command! But my other dogs ... also understood, Come when called (NOW), STAY and "DOWN!" No questions asked "we" do as "Dad" says ... NOW! My new Boxer/Pit one year old ... yeah not so much. After having her only four days ... I messed up!

I'd let her meet the neighbor ( that was not the issue) but when I took her out the next day with no leash, to go to the car ... she saw the neighbor again and it was ..."Hey I know that guy!!" And she darted across the street to greet him! I got lucky as there was no traffic ... but that was not good! But I learned something ... don't expect to much too soon!! I got lucky!

The fence jumping "Now" is an "additional" issue for you! Because ...now he "knows" he can! But strictly speaking ... the real question is not so much why your dog jumped the fence as it is why most dogs don't???

I can't find it but I have seen on "Youtube" a Protection Trained PB scale a 6 foot Concrete Fence!!! And in the real world I tried to catch a Boxer, that had escaped his yard ... again!! He was way up the street and I got him home ... sorta the gate was locked. It was a 6 foot Cedar Fence now I can't remember if the Boxer sprung off a garbage can or what???

But as we changed positions the Boxer did something ... and sprung over my head and back into the yard and then went over the neighbors six foot fence and into their yard?? I knocked on the door to tell them their dogs was back ... and they told me , OK but it was not there dog?? But he comes over the fence all the time to play with our dog?? :crazyeye:

Long way of saying that any working dog can easily get out over a 6 foot fence ... if they chose to. But most do not, and most likely it is rules, discipline and a bond with the owner that makes most dogs "Chose" to stay in their yard?? What's out there is not as good as I have it here, so ...here I will stay! I don't know ... but that is how I see it.

But back on point .... how well trained is your dog?? Does he get to get out and how does he do on a leash?? Sit/Stay and Down does he know that stuff?? If he does not it can all taught but what puts you behind the eight ball ...is now he knows he can get over that fence! So you have to factor that in.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah my fence is 6 foot high, but he jumps from the deck so it is more like jumping a 4 foot fence. Yeah I try to take him on a 30 min walk or longer at least 5 times a week. He does pretty good on the leash except sometimes he pulls to pee on a tree, but I have to remind him not to. He is actually quite smart, he knows sit, lay, shake, speak, roll over, army crawl, up (standing up on hind legs), leave it, get it, stay(except when he is outside in the front yard). He is also not fixed but I plan to do that this spring. I also have him on a long leash with a stake that is a foot down in the ground, every time he goes potty. The vet said that he was okay, and that there wasn't a lot of damage done.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Yeah my fence is 6 foot high, but he jumps from the deck so it is more like jumping a 4 foot fence.
Aww ... Holly Crap??? Well I can save some you some cash. An E-Fence would not stop that??? Momentum would carry him over it if that's how he got out. :crazyeye:

Yeah I try to take him on a 30 min walk or longer at least 5 times a week. He does pretty good on the leash except sometimes he pulls to pee on a tree, but I have to remind him not to. He is actually quite smart, he knows sit, lay, shake, speak, roll over, army crawl, up (standing up on hind legs), leave it, get it, stay(except when he is outside in the front yard). He is also not fixed but I plan to do that this spring. I also have him on a long leash with a stake that is a foot down in the ground, every time he goes potty. The vet said that he was okay, and that there wasn't a lot of damage done.
Hmm OK ... this is a bit unexpected?? Right now ... your dog is wayyy ahead of mine! :)

Sooo the "normal stuff" is not what happened, here?? But OK then ... let's dig in. The "walk thing" is important! But I view "walking your dog more about building a "Bond of Trust" with your dog. A thirty minute or even an hour long walk for a "Working Line" dog is ... nothing. They can do that "all day long!"

You need to find someplace, somewhere that allows you you to let him safely off leash! Does not need to be every day but once or twice a week, should do.
With "my other dogs" who had recall ... on weekends, I used empty business parks to let them run free! That's what I did in the big city ... San Jose Ca.

When we moved to NV ... we had uh miles of "Open Desert!" They had great recall ... so no big deal. But not those guys have all passed on. :cry_baby:

And "new" dog Boxer/Pit in the house. And yeah if I tried that crap ... right now, I'd never see her again! Last dog was "Rocky" was a Working Line GSD.
Now I have a Boxer/Pit mix! And she covers ground in leaps and bounds ... much like my "Struddell (White Boxer) I'd forgotten about that crap??

So I can't let her off leash "with any possible distractions" at the moment! Sooo we have become after hours "Dog Parkers!" I don't trust other people and their dogs. So we go at "sundown" when the "Dog Park" is closed. But hey it's not locked at Dusk ... so in we go! So safely confined ... she gets to run and bound as she will free from constraints! Just a thought.

Aside from that ... my go to's are "The Place Command and Sit on the Dog." I still have not "formally trained "Place" details are in the thread I linked ... but she "knows it." And I have not "Sit on the Dog" yet. But those things "Work!"

I would 'add them to what your dog already knows, they are both about addressing "behavioural issues." Addressing those may be the solution ... we don't want this crap to happen again, details are here.:

https://www.boxerforums.com/training/183298-fearful-anxious-flat-crazy-place-command.html

I think adding these things would be helpful?? :)

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I am going to try this with y dog

https://stacythetrainer.blogspot.com/2017/04/stop-walking-your-dog.html

Not something I advocated but I will try it with this poodle. While he has been very very good, he has just begun his teenage age for real...its like much has gone out the window periodically . One more week he will get neutered too.
Interesting read, although I did everything she kind of recommends against for a high activity dog and it worked for Zuke. Although I always mixed in brain games.

We still go on a bike ride every morning, off leash play at the beach in the afternoon, and a structured walk , brain games/and other training at night.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Matt I think your beyond this. I'm doing it as I think I having been engaging him in thinking enough. So and since I'm having some issues walking lately it is good for me. Today was day 2 and it went well.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Matt I think your beyond this. I'm doing it as I think I having been engaging him in thinking enough. So and since I'm having some issues walking lately it is good for me. Today was day 2 and it went well.
Thats good. Hope it works out for you.:cheers:

I wasn't saying she is wrong, just that it might depend on the dog. Kind of like all training, what seems to work for some doesn't work for others. Definitely interesting that it goes against conventional wisdom. You will have to keep us updated how it progresses.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
I am going to try this with my dog

https://stacythetrainer.blogspot.com/2017/04/stop-walking-your-dog.html

Not something I advocated but I will try it with this poodle. While he has been very very good, he has just begun his teenage age for real...its like much has gone out the window periodically . One more week he will get neutered too.
I don't know?? I did actually look over that info. And color me not impressed. :)

Raising a "calm well behaved dog" (and that I can still do!) Is all about balance! If no goes to far in either "The Exercise " cures all or "Walk your dog" only??? One "will" have "issues!"

Raising a "Calm, well behaved dog" is all about "Balance!" Been there done that and got the stitches. :cry:

With "Rocky" my oft mentioned "Oversized Working Line GSD" with uh "people issues" ... I did the "formal obedience training and the exercise thing!" But ... it did not work! He was still a Human Aggressive, Pack Fighting ... send you to the hospital for stitches , out of control monster!

I've hears on here that for a WL GSD ...he sounded par for the course, LOL ... OK then.?? But back on point "obviously" Formal Obedience Training and Exercise" ... was not enough??

So I started to "Walk" him and that as far as I am concerned ... made all the difference! Walking him ... "Created a Bond" between he and I! I did not know that had happened, nor did care?? But ... when crap went badly wrong on a "Walk" when we got charged by two strays! Rocky came to my aid because he "Chose To."

I did not "train" that behaviour exactly??? But "Real World" as it were. So you know a "Dog Trainer" trying to convince, "me" that there is no value to "Walking Your Dog??" Had best have there "Flame Proof" suit on, just saying!

I have no idea who "that person is" but for what it is worth ..."color me ... unimpressed!"

As far as "Walking Your Dog" goes ... "I'll" go with Larry Khron. And he says ...

In as much as ... "actually, starting to walk Rocky" is really I did different?? As he was the only I did not "Walk" and he was the only the dog I had serious freaking issues with! Telling me ... "there is no value to "Walking Your Dog" ... would not go well!

But wait ... there is more! The author ...is merely trying to reinvent the wheel there! And the "new" incorporation uh ... kinda "Sucks" ... in my opinion. Dog's don't sentences, to understand what "you" want???

They need a "Word" not a sentence! "Relax on Mat???" LOL, give me a freaking break!! Who has time for that and how "exactly" would that work in the "World??" Training a dog to "Chill" is a "thing" and it is achieved thru "balance." One has to walk there dog and they have to provide them adequate "exercise."

One has to do both! Training a dog to "Chill" is a thing! And it is called "Training Calmness into a Dog." And ... I covered it actually here, years ago here.:

https://www.boxerforums.com/training/183298-fearful-anxious-flat-crazy-place-command.html

Training "Calmness" into a dog," takes two "techniques." "Sit on the Dog" and the "Place Command." And "Place" takes one word! Not a "phrase???" IE "Relax on the Mat??

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5m1eg3qrl84fzz8/Relax on a Mat (wholedogtraining.com).pdf?dl=0

LOL ... yeah that's great ... but what if your not at home?? "Relax on the mat??" Well sure but what if again ... your "Not at Home??" In that case "Relax on the Mat" to the dog means ... what exactly??

That approach is "location" specific, it only works at home!. That my work for some?? But it's not good enough for me! I have had uh "Outstanding" success with the "Place" command with "Rocky!" My Human Aggressive GSD, and with my "new dog in the house" Bella ... she knows "Place!"

I point and say "ONE" word not a freaking phrase?? It will work "anywhere" I don't need to be at home, with her "mat???"

But she is not "Proofed" and I still have not yet introduced a "Place Cot" (elevated surface.) She's only done Place, or sigh ... " "Relax on The Mat" ... LOL, indoors. I like to KISS ... still working on recall ....

So yeah it's a great looking site, but she undervalues, the importance of "Balance" in traing a "Dog." You have to do "All OF IT," Exercise, Walk Your Dog and train "Calmness." There are no shortcuts ... apparently. :)

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Chip, The philosophy behind this is balance, lol. What she is saying, albeit not too well is that if you have a very excitable dog he can learn to be calm and that you do not have to get him all amped up to tire him out so that he will be calm. I'm reading a book on it though I don't like some of it. LOL The mat training really is not different from place, its pretty much the same as Gellmans though it seems to be at a slower pace. You do move the mat from room to room then to outside, then to places with distractions, and eventually you don't even need the mat, the dog just settles calmly down. I don't know you know I not proactive positive training, this pretty much is that why I said its not something I normally advocate. My poodle is pretty well trained t this point, or was. He has excellent recall, he has an excellent structured and unstructured walk. But this past week he has totally changed into a different dog, while his basics are still there he is overly equitable in the house when someone walks in, he no longer wants to be in his crate and will try to bolt away when you tell him to go in, before he would walk in and lie down, this week he will start to walk in then bolt and run off not wanting to come back to you and jumping and leaping and barking. He is protesting. So I figure some of the exercises in this blog may help in making him think. Get him tired from mental activity not physical activity. The more he runs the less he wants to settle down. We have been doing nice long walks to tire him but when we come in he is only tired if he can stay right next to me lying down otherwise he is running and jumping thru the house. I don't like that and won't tolerate it. I am thinking he is just bored, so I am makinghimthink. He kinda like this mat (towel) thing. Every time he looks at it I click and toss a treat. Now he has figured out if he goes on it he gets a click and a treat. Yesterday he did it off lead and lied down and just stayed there while the cats went zooming by. So maybe he needs this thinking stuff I don't know. But yes as you go further along walks do come back into play and so does balance. I have an acquaintance that has done it with hers, and they are now doing agility and he already has a few minors, I don't know what they call them points for a title. All off lead with other dogs. He can enter the ring and is told where to go say a cone he will sit next to it go to the next, back up, come front in a sit, go to left side for a sit etc etc. Really nice seeing a dog work like this. I'm not so into all that but just want this guy to listen as he was doing for awhile. He is a smart dog maybe too smart and he needs different activities to "balance" him out, plus his hormones have kicked in so he is acting out a bit maybe because of them. He also needs some off lead exercise where he can just run to his hearts content and right now the yard is too wet and muddy and we had like two solid weeks of heavy rains every day or so so nothing dries out. Anyway its keeping us occupied and I'm always game at learning new things, if they work great if not I go back to my old methods. Anyway its fun making him think what i want. This is him now after playing the "mat game" he is just lying under my curtains while I'm on the computer.
IMG_1709.jpg

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Chip, The philosophy behind this is balance, lol. What she is saying, albeit not too well is that if you have a very excitable dog he can learn to be calm and that you do not have to get him all amped up to tire him out so that he will be calm.
Well as you say ... and yeah most likely it is me?? Cause I have a lot of issues with a lot of her "pronouncements" on no need for, exercise or walking your dog??

Or if that is not what she said ... then my bad?? But that's not what I got? And my "issue" with what she is advising no walks no exercise that is a "Back Yard." IE a dog that "never leaves their back yard to go anywhere and the first chance they get at the front door (assuming) they are allowed to be indoors at all?? They then become "Door Bolters!"

I have rounded up my share of them and walked them home ... on a leash without issue, and most have never been on a leash in there lives. And as for training to be "calm" indoors, those owners don't do "Place" and LOL most certainly not "Relax on the Mat??" No they scream at the Dog! That works too, if you "want" a brow beaten dog??

Walk your dog, exercise your dog and train an off switch, Place (one word) not a "phrase??" Bella was kinda of a PIA, we got her and sure I could have chose to just throw her, in her "crate" when I did not wanna deal??

But I did not, I also did not do a "Two Week Shut Down," enforce no free roaming in the house, did not enforce the no dogs on the furniture and she sleeps with me in the bed. But I did/do exercise her, I walk her and I trained "Place" (one word.)

But "Training an "Off Switch") yep I did that and posted my findings ... years ago "here.:

And yeah her recall still sucks but right now ... she is sleeping at my feet as I type ... (no crate, no place) her choice, good enough for me, and she was not doing "that" when we got her. :)

But yeah clearly ... I did not do all the "stuff" I tend to say ... but it depends on the dog ... and apparently, if I have a dog that is not going after people and stuff?? I cut them a lot of slack.

I have no issue with what your doing and technically, since I am not using a "Place Cot" thus far ... I could also have said "Relax on the Mat" but I don't ... I use "Place." But I also "don't" lightly dismiss the value of walking your dog and the value of exercise and she did! Advise like that ... get's dog's like my "Rocky" was ... "PTS!"

And apparently ... I'm not gonna let all of the past go? When I got "Rocky my first Wl GSD ... LOL I "assumed" he was just like my people luv'ing "Struddell and my Band Dawg Gunther???

LOL yeah not so much ... and yeah dealing with once again "Pig Headed and Stubborn" ... is a bit, exasperating, I can deal.

But hey ... perhaps the rest of her "fans" have no issue with what she has to say?? But as I want to say ... that there is always that guy!

So ... the info on that particular site is not about you?? just voicing my "issues" with the author is stating as gospel, as I see it. Anycase, it looks like your making great progress with your new guy and in the end that is really all that matters. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts