Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day while I was dropping gauge off at his dog sitters he was attacked by a German Shepard who lives down the street.

The fight looked pretty brutal. At first the shepards owner had to drop kick him off of my dog!!!

I am ashamed to say I didn't know what to do.. The Shepard wasn't wearing a collar, all I could do was grab at my dog's collar and try to pull him away, but I had to let go when the other dog kept attacking.. So he could defend himself.

When the fight ended the Shepard had my dog pinned on the ground biting at my dogs throat area while the owner gave commands for him to get off, (which he ignored), and I felt my heart drop because I thought for a moment that was it... And so ashamed for being there frozen in fear.

I feel guilty that I was too afraid to reach in there and grab an angry dog who was close to my size... Or do something to get him off of my dog. At the time there were spectators and the owner of the attacker present.. I honestly didn't know the appropriate way for me to react.

I feel as though I should have ignored my fear of getting injured, as well as my fear of angering the neighbours, and the owner of the other dog.. And reacted to save my dog.

Gauge is fine. He does have some minor flesh wounds, but the fight looked worse than it was..it's the guilt that's killing me now.. Knowing that I didn't have the guts to stand up for him when he needed me.

After the fight I researched how to break up dog fights where one dog isn't collared, and saw to rope the dogs back legs, or throw a blanket over them to stop the fighting.

If anyone has any insight, I would appreciate it... How to overcome these fears and react, how to appropriately react and not overreact in these situations, or know when it's out of control... Anything really.

I love my dog, and consider myself a good dog owner... So I am disappointed in my actions.

·
Registered
200 Posts
fight

I have only seen 1 dog fight. A blanket was used then.One of my neighbors dog was in a fight at a dog park .She fell on both dogs to b reak up the fight.We were told that throwing water on them sometimes help.I hope you called the city on the other dog and it's owner.It might not help but it would be down on record that this happened.Some cities have laws on this very thing .After so many fights the owner has to surrender there dogs .Hope this helps and glad that you and your dog are o.k.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Don't feel bad about being scared - that's a normal reaction. We were taught in training classes to grab the back legs the dogs and pull back like a wheel barrow. It protects you from getting bit - of course this takes the cooperation of the other owner too.

·
Super Moderator
7,025 Posts
We use the rear leg grab as well, you then swing them in a circular motion to keep their heads away from you. Leerburg has a pretty good video on how to calmly break up a dog fight.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I am sure many will attack me but when a dangerous animal is attacking my dogs, I would grab the nearest bat or similar item and beat it to death if necessary to stop it. I have zero tolerance for dangerous animal and their owners. That could have as easily been a child...

As a last resort I would shoot the animal... Again, I have zero tolerance as I have been on the receiving end of an attack by a dangerous animal

You should have called the police on the owner and had that dangerous animal picked up. The owner is liable for his dogs actions as he failed to properly restrain it
Mark

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
I am so sorry this happened!! Owning both breeds involved it's kinda personal! Bet that guy is one of the "tools" I'm constantly involved with on Germanshepardforum?? Clearly he can't control his freaking dog!!! But now you know he' there and his dog is a problem!

You should call and report the attack to AC. I never have for that myself but no dog has ever got past me to get to mine either! Maybe if any had I would report it?? Nonetheless I do think reporting it is a good idea.

All they will do is talk to the guy and maybe then he will take Controlling His Freaking Dog Seriously!!!

So that would be step one, and step two is here:
http://www.boxerforums.com/general-boxer-forum/170530-what-do-if-another-dog-attacks-while-my-dog-leash.html

And similar and more on Germanshepardforum:
What to do if another dog attacks your while on leash - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Post 77 in there is another link to a post by Long Fish and he has some details on an Air Horn! Pretty sure it's in the Boxer Thread also.

That's the most practical non lethal non contact method of defense. And it's in those threads but "most attacks occur near home!"

If I see a dog loose on a yard, I assume if there is an owner present that they are incompetent or clueless! I'm between another dog and mine and I will the cross the street to gain time and space if I have to defend my dog. Look for open garage doors or people going and coming from vehicles or gathered on lawns.

Most of the time if you step in front of your dog the other dog will pause because all the dog sees is your dog not you! Thus far for me in "Nine" attempts, that has been the result.

My GSD seems to be a stray dog magnet, so we seem to get lots of practice at dealing with this crap! And or you can also carry a walking stick and you would use it to block the dog, not hit him!

Sorry this happened to you and your guy glad he's OK.

Welcome aboard and ask questions.

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
And you have to forgive yourself ...crap happens! Now you know and in those threads are somethings you can do to better prepare yourself if a similar situation were to occur in the future.

And having a well trained dog helps in that effort, you don't want to have to control your dog and defend against another! It sounds like you both got blind sided?? So that did not help either.

So in closing you learn from this very unfortunate experience, you forgive yourself and do better going forward. That's what you can do. :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all so much for your messages!

I did contact AC on him and they said they would follow up. unfortunately we didn't see the attack coming., I always check the street for other dogs when we are going to the dog sitters, (to be safe), but apparently he bolted past his owner out the door and Beelined straight for gauge.. It took seconds.

I have read the comments and do plan to try some of these methods if it ever happens again!

I just hope this doesn't scare gauge off other dogs..! I guess time will tell!

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
There is always the chance it "might" effect your dog?? If it happens then the call would be teach him to "ignore" other dogs, that would be "my" call at anyrate. You will need to monitor him closely around other dogs now or just flat stay clear of other dogs. That's how a lot of folks roll, what a lot of "Pro's" and myself advise and what I have always done myself.

It sounds like you just got taken by surprise??? Yep that happens, the dog was not there one second and then he was???

It takes a combination of "both" skill and luck to "keep" your dogs safe. Ideally your dog goes behind you and let's you deal with the situation. It sounds radical perhaps but it can be done. It requires a dog that walks well on leash "ideally" you tell your dog to "Stay" and you step in front of him.

"Usually" in most cases, if a charging dog is suddenly confronted by a "Human???" It causes them to "pause" and think??? "Usually" unless it is a true attack trained dog all they see is your dog. And if you get in the way it gives them a chance to think and make a better choice!

The "wheelbarrow thing is what you "need" to do "if" the dog gets by you and makes contact! But ideally you want to keep that from being necessary.

Having a plan helps, an Air Horn, Bear Spray or and a Walking Stick are all good countermeasures. ANd yeah well a Gun but that's not how I roll. :) And you also have your feet, kicking the offending dog is an option. And again it helps if your dog is not in the way. :)

But most likely one would have to fumble around to find and deploy a Air Horn or Bear Spray ... the taken by surprise thing. Walking Stick however is going to be well ...right at hand! If your dog is used to you stepping in front of him and him "Staying" then you would not even need the step I listed previously!

You'd be in front and slam the "Stick Forward" and say "NO GO HOME!!!" or whatever!
I should carry one myself but I'm not that bright. :)

But ... especially for "you" take steps "now." You know that dog is there and now you the owner is not to freaking bright!!

Don't know why but "Rocky" seems to be a stray dog magnet?? One attempt in ten years
none on GUnther and I. And only one involving "Struddel, Rocky and I were on point our first encounter with two strays ... worked out fine.

And Seven more attempts on "Rocky" and I together?? Now two of those are this freaking sucidcale Shizu!! Those freaking dogs are fast and none to bright apparently! My goal there is to save the stupid cur! Not really sure what "Rocky" will do if a dog comes at him like that???

Anyway ask questions glad your guy was not hurt that bad.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
He's pretty passive, when he sees a threat he's always automatically gone behind me.. Unless I get afraid, As soon as he hears fear in my voice he goes into defense mode and tries to protect me, (which I think is a good quality if I ever get attacked)!

We've been in a situation once where a neighbours dog was dragging its owner down the street to attack gauge! We did just that! But the dog kept coming!! So I put my hand out, stomped my foot and said "NO!", (it was pure reaction), but I was afraid that he wasn't stopping.. And when gauge heard my fear it was like flipping a switch! He went from behind to in front of me in a flash! Postured himself to look bigger and the teeth were out! Luckily, I have good control of him, and we were close to home.. I just told him it was ok, and we slowly backed away before they got to us.

This time caught us both off guard though, he was being dropped off at the dog sitters, (so I had nothing with me but a leash as we were only going from the car to the house), next time I'm hoping I'll be able to overcome my fear of the massive attacking dog and at least use my feet!! I don't know how to get over that fear.. But he'd do it for me! So I'll have to try!

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Yep, I understand completely. I don't know how I would react either. I know what to do but put in that position is another story. Last year I mentioned on here about a neighbors pitiful pup getting out, well they took control and it stopped but now its starting again and he is a big boy now. Very friendly but I fear walking now as my terrier is not, well she is friendly but she barks at everything and when I'm walking 3 dogs, 2 lil chihuahuas too and they are all barking I don't know what would happen. We walk the boxer separate as I can't do 4, LOL Sometimes their children walk it too or I should say it walks them. Not good...while in the pitts defense he is very friendly but t his is how problems and bad raps happen for a dog..Its inevitable in my opinion that one day something bad will happen.

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
OK there you go, it sounds like you both just flat out got "Sand Bagged!!" It falls under the category of "crap happens!"

Having a "plan" let's you fall back on reflex and luck! You won't necessarily always have any tools but you will always have your feet! Kick the crap out of the dog if you have nothing!

But your dog needs to be "moved" or "blocked" from view because in most cases the dog is the target! If the target is gone and you make a fierce enough front the charging dog may do a rethink??

As they say ... that would be the plan in any case. :cheers:

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Yep, I understand completely. I don't know how I would react either. I know what to do but put in that position is another story. Last year I mentioned on here about a neighbors pitiful pup getting out, well they took control and it stopped but now its starting again and he is a big boy now. Very friendly but I fear walking now as my terrier is not, well she is friendly but she barks at everything and when I'm walking 3 dogs, 2 lil chihuahuas too and they are all barking I don't know what would happen. We walk the boxer separate as I can't do 4, LOL Sometimes their children walk it too or I should say it walks them. Not good...while in the pitts defense he is very friendly but this is how problems and bad raps happen for a dog..Its inevitable in my opinion that one day something bad will happen.
The kids are walking that dog!!!

That is not good and is irresponsible! By and large most normal "Pit's" raised by most normal "Pet" owners don't have a problem with "people." But other dogs, yeah that's a problem! Unless said "Pit" has been taught to behave properly around other dogs ...there is going to be a "problem!"
Dog aggression is just pretty much ingrained, steps need to be taken "before" there are issues! Most "Pit" owners don't get that!

And if the kids are being "dragged" around by the kids?? Yes that is a problem looking for a place to happen, not good at all. :(

·
Registered
124 Posts
Sorry to hear this happened to you. I suggest one of those key chain pepper sprays to break off fights, they are very efffective, they will work for your own security as well.
The owner of that german shepperd was being irresponsible, he shouldn't have his dog unleashed.
You were in shock and couldn't prorect him which is normal, everybody reacts differenly to fear.
Crixus got attacked by a pitbull in a dog park once , i was scared as well but I threw myself out there and kicked the pitbull pretty badly..
But the owner of the pitbull was the one got kicked out from the park. Dogs are protective i get it , but it is different then being aggressive, your dog is being protective while the other one was being aggressive which is 100% owners fault by not raising him better.

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Sorry to hear this happened to you. I suggest one of those key chain pepper sprays to break off fights, they are very efffective, they will work for your own security as well.
The owner of that german shepperd was being irresponsible, he shouldn't have his dog unleashed.
You were in shock and couldn't prorect him which is normal, everybody reacts differenly to fear.
Crixus got attacked by a pitbull in a dog park once , i was scared as well but I threw myself out there and kicked the pitbull pretty badly..
But the owner of the pitbull was the one got kicked out from the park. Dogs are protective i get it , but it is different then being aggressive, your dog is being protective while the other one was being aggressive which is 100% owners fault by not raising him better.
Sorry your guy got attacked glad you were able to handle it is he OK??

And nothing wrong with the key thing but again "taken by surprise" is the thing!

Putting yourself in the line of fire can be done by instinct, I do it without thinking but having a walking stick to block would be a bit smarter, than the high risk approach! And if you have nothing you always have your feet!

Hmm ... as you did! :)

Honestly ... I need to follow my advice and get a freaking walking stick! :chair:

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Divide them from each other for some time, with crate.
A crate?? near as I can tell this was an out of control A-Hole dog bolting pass his owner??

1 - 18 of 18 Posts