Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at the dog training last tuesday like I do every week and at one time I heard people screaming, I was shocked I have never seen dogs fighting 4 meters away from me and my dog, It took like 2 minutes people spliting them up and one of the dogs was injured badly almost his front leg was totaly out and the other with a massive scare, blood everywhere, my baby was scared scratching me to lift him up,

I am considering quiting because I dont want anything to happen to my dog plus I'll never forget this experiense.

Is it normal that you get a dog fight at a training class??

·
Registered
905 Posts
Tink and Buzz fight all the time, it's generally just minor scuffles and I always try and distract them before it turns serious, but on one or two occasions it has got serious enough to scare me - they're both trying to be the Alpha female and it's not working!

Unfortunately, dogs will fight sometimes, and if you do ever find yourself having to break one up, the first thing to remember is not to panic.  Don't try to pull the dogs apart as chances are you'll get bitten for your troubles.  Throwing a blanket or a large towel over the dogs is the best way to get them to stop, or failing that, douse them with water.  But the bets method really is to distract them from a potential fight before it turns nasty - there are always warning signs.

As for taking your dog out of the class, this sounds like it was a once-off incident.  Maybe speak to the person running the class before you do anything drastic.

·
Registered
37 Posts
my male and female boxers fight some , then i put them in separate pens and they will stop,but she will sleep by his pen..she likes him to sleep where she can see him.they normally are  the same pen together unless she , kayce, starts the fight.when i got her she was never around other dogs.she was to be dominant and so does he,,,i just spray them with water and they quit. buck and kayce are usually good , i breed them since i own a kennel..

owner of whortons kennels,greenville ms

momma of kayce, buckus and chloe..

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
How scary! i understand the fact that you are leary about going back, but i agree that this is most likely a one time incident.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Fights do happen and without you seeing exactly what happened, I wouldn't pull your dog out of the class. I haven't ever had anything like that happen in any of my classes, like I said, it's possible...Hopefully neither dog was hurt badly?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the injured dog was crying alot I tried not to look coz I hate blood, I was impressed because the dogs where wippets (I think they are called)  they are so small for a 2 min fight and cause a big scare and the other foot almost lost, It was horrible I dont see how this can be fun for some peoplethat chase dogs I almost fainted.

I was thinking of getting a fem puppy but I am kind of put off since tuesday.

Last time also there was a guy he brought his boxer to training so he gets used to being around other dogs because he is agressive so he was training his dog with ours, Which is not nice that was also very close to a dog fight thank God he grabed him on time.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Gunnar attended beginner training classes at PetSmart last year and there was an incident involving him and an English Bulldog that scared me.  Tyson, the bulldog, had an annoying habit of barking and going down on his front legs (don't know if u understand, his front legs down, hiney in the air, instructor said he was challenging the other dogs) and provoking the other dogs.  Gunnar even lost his "girlfriend" a 1 1/2 year old great dane because of Tyson's behavior.  Belle's mom and dad just couldn't control her and it seemed Tyson constantly goaded her.  Anyways, the day the incident happened we were learning meet and greet.  You face the other dog/owner and get them to sit.  Then on command they are allowed to get up and "greet" the other dog.  Then you pull away and walk on.  Simple enough, right.  Well, Gunnar did great with the other dogs, who ranged from a german shepherd to a furry rat looking thing.  haha She was cute as a button!!  Anyways, when it was Gunnar and Tyson's turn, Tyson started his crap again.  Pardon my french, but he did this all the time to the other dogs.  Well, I had Gunnar in his sit, Tyson was barking and  Gunnar lunged.  I got him back before they ever got too close, but it was VERY upsetting just the same.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
"Tyson, the bulldog, had an annoying habit of barking and going down on his front legs (don't know if u understand, his front legs down, hiney in the air"

Is that a provoking?? Saigey does it most of the time.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
boxersaige\";p=\"4989 said:
"Tyson, the bulldog, had an annoying habit of barking and going down on his front legs (don't know if u understand, his front legs down, hiney in the air"
I think that is more of a "hey come on and play with me" kind of stance. I love it when they do that!  :D

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
tootsie\";p=\"4995 said:
[quote="boxersaige\";p=\"4989":331dhcbn]"Tyson, the bulldog, had an annoying habit of barking and going down on his front legs (don't know if u understand, his front legs down, hiney in the air"
I think that is more of a "hey come on and play with me" kind of stance. I love it when they do that!

·
Registered
491 Posts
Yes, I know what you guys are talking about.  My 2 do it to each other when they're chasing about in the yard.  That's why I said I couldn't explain very well.  Tyson absolutely was not playing, he was barking and snarling and just not behaving very well.  When we'd sit in a circle around the room, he would suddenly charge at the end of his leash.  Several dogs besides Gunnar had issues with him, so I do not feel it was all Gunnar's fault.  (As you know, I'm not in the LEAST partial to him either!! haha)  The great danes owners pulled her and also a male german shepherd left the class, all because Tyson made the dogs too difficult to handle.  Gunnar and him only had that 1 standoff, thank goodness.  Other than that, the class was great and we learned a lot!!

·
Registered
616 Posts
It's too bad that Petsmart didn't ask Tyson's owners to leave.  I would think with a disruptive dog, it wouldn't be a productive class.  I would also think they would rather lose money from one owner instead of 2-3.  Just make smart business sense.  

Sorry you had to encounter that!

·
Registered
491 Posts
Believe me, thats what several owners wished would happen.  We just tried to sit on the opposite side of the room and try to keep our dogs from paying attention to him.  Fortunately, their little showdown happened towards the end of our classes.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Dogs unfortunately fight, but 99 percent of the time its not there fault for some reason or another. Weather not excercised enough or socialization skills are just not present. It is up to you as the owner/handler to evaluate your dog and make sure they are ready to be in that kind of enviornment. Balanced dogs just dont break into an all out fight for no reason, there is a build up to what eventually happens and its our responsibility to halt it as soon as its detected.

I myself have no worries about going to events or places that might be prone to the incidences. I am comfortable with how i have trained both my american bulldog and boxer that they are the least of my worries in those kind of inviornments. But i also have no quams about disiplining someone elses dog that is misbehaving for one reason or another.  Unfortunatly there are as many different types of owners as there are dogs not as responsible as the should be.

My opinion is if your really not comfortable there then go somewhere else. Your training  will suffer if you dont put 110% into what your doing at the training center. Go somewhere where you are calm and confident in your surrounding so that you can pay full attention to the one your there for. If your are not feeling safe the dog will know and it will hinder your training.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Well said....That's why I leave Samson at home for our meetup groups. He can't handle all the dogs...I would also leave a training class for the same reason...

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Petsmart classes are terrible.  They train in TOO SMALL AN AREA forcing dogs to be closer than they can handle or should be required to handle and first. They have no knowledge of problem solving other than their training for their classes, they are just asking for this problem to happen again and again.  I would absolutley not recommend them for this reason and others.  Their solution for all problems is the squirt bottle, even on poor rescued dogs with issues.  Please find private trainers for your group lessons even if you need to drive a little bit.  

Nano

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I suggest finding a trainer NOT at petsmart. My mom helps teach dog classes with a very well known trainer in my area. They hold them in the gym of elementary schools. The dogs get 15 minutes of off leash play time before class, so they can socialize, and get rid of the extra energy/excitement.

Petsmart doesn't have the room for this. They all sit in a little circle, where the owners are forced to hold the leash with tension, causing the dogs to act out, since the feel the stress the owners are under.

I really suggest finding a new trainer.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
GunnarsMom\";p=\"4986 said:
Gunnar attended beginner training classes at PetSmart last year and there was an incident involving him and an English Bulldog that scared me.  Tyson, the bulldog, had an annoying habit of barking and going down on his front legs (don't know if u understand, his front legs down, hiney in the air, instructor said he was challenging the other dogs) and provoking the other dogs.  Gunnar even lost his "girlfriend" a 1 1/2 year old great dane because of Tyson's behavior.  Belle's mom and dad just couldn't control her and it seemed Tyson constantly goaded her.  Anyways, the day the incident happened we were learning meet and greet.  You face the other dog/owner and get them to sit.  Then on command they are allowed to get up and "greet" the other dog.  Then you pull away and walk on.  Simple enough, right.  Well, Gunnar did great with the other dogs, who ranged from a german shepherd to a furry rat looking thing.  haha She was cute as a button!!  Anyways, when it was Gunnar and Tyson's turn, Tyson started his crap again.  Pardon my french, but he did this all the time to the other dogs.  Well, I had Gunnar in his sit, Tyson was barking and  Gunnar lunged.  I got him back before they ever got too close, but it was VERY upsetting just the same.

Thats called a 'play bow', it's in no way challenging or provoking. He wanted to play!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts