Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, my 11 month is having more diarrhea as of late. He’s eating Royal Canin dog food and I’m starting to think that it’s upsetting his stomach now . He’s eating everything but not putting any weight at all either. He’s very active too. Right now I’m having him on chicken and rice to help settle his stomach . Any suggestions on another type of food. I have done purina pro plan and blue Buffalo in the past and those dis a number on his stomach.
Thank you

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
My dog always did well on RC. We did later switch to Victor High energy (red bag) and he did well not that. My current dog a st poodle is eating "perfect digestion" by Science Diet. I have another dog on Science ID prescription for IBD, and when my st poodle had upset stomach I put him on it to for awhile then switched to the perfect digestion formula. If this has been a continual problem, look at the amount you are feeding and have the vet do a medical exam to see if anything else is going on like coccidia or giardia. If your dog was doing well prior maybe think about any treats you may have added. Look at the formular and see if glycerine is in the product. Many treats have glycerine and it can cause loose stool, even too many treats can. That's a lot of different foods already for a 11 month old. Look at the protein source and see if there was a common denominator. I know many boxers have sensitive stomachs and many have reaction to chicken (processed in dog food). Many do well on raw. Today you have several options for raw you can buy from butcher, buy frozen or dehydrated. Personally I prefer dehydrated because its easy to store. Currently I use it as a topper. I am also experimenting with the frozen, but you have to have ample freezer space, then you have to wait a few minutes for it to thaw. Remember when you add back whichever food you choose do it slowly by adding more of it to his chicken n rice each day., while reducing the amount of chicken n rice.
Those are just my ideas and what I do.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
My previous dogs would not even eat Blue Buffalo so there's that. My current male was having some digestion issues so I put him on Purina One Digestive care chicken formula with probiotics it seems to be working for him and he is definitely digesting it better.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn't think about it earlier but adding a probiotic is a good thing too.
I gave my dog probiotics and it made him throw up. I would crush the pill in his food, but it did a number on his stomach. Maybe i should do half of pill.

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
I gave my dog probiotics and it made him throw up. I would crush the pill in his food, but it did a number on his stomach. Maybe i should do half of pill.
This is the one my vet recommended

I use them everyday for awhile and when I think its not necessary I stop. I've also tried in the past just put a tablespoon of plain greek yogurt as a topper on their food, or canned pumpkin as a topper (not the pie filling).

·
Registered
377 Posts
In July 2018, the FDA announced that it had begun investigating reports of canine dilated cardiomyopathy (DCM) in dogs eating certain pet foods. Dilated cardiomyopathy (DCM) is a type of canine heart disease that affects the heart muscle. The hearts of dogs with DCM have a decreased ability to pump blood, which often results in congestive heart failure and may lead to death. Many of the foods involved were labeled as “grain-free,” and contained a high proportion of peas, lentils, other legume seeds (pulses), and/or potatoes in various forms (whole, flour, protein, etc.) as main ingredients (listed within the first 10 ingredients in the ingredient list, before vitamins and minerals).

Some breeds, especially large and giant breeds, have a predisposition to DCM. These breeds include Doberman Pinschers, Boxers, Great Danes, Newfoundlands, Irish Wolfhounds, and Saint Bernards. While DCM is less common in medium and small breeds, Cocker Spaniels are also predisposed to this condition. However, in many instances, these cases included breeds of dogs not previously known to have a genetic predisposition to the

·
Registered
377 Posts
New Research on Peas in Dog Food

In early August 2021, researchers from Tufts University published a study that indicated that peas may be a leading ingredient in diet-associated DCM in dogs. In the study, researchers compared traditional dog foods with those dog food diets that the FDA has associated with DCM – which are often labeled “grain-free.” With a study of more than 800 compounds, peas are at the top of the list of ingredients that might be associated with DCM. These diets associated with DCM are often labeled “grain-free” and typically include peas and other pulses to replace grain ingredients such as rice, corn, or wheat.

·
Registered
377 Posts
What to Do if Your Dog’s Food Has Peas as a Top Ingredient

Pet owners are encouraged to familiarize themselves with the food they feed their pets, especially in this situation. They should read the label of ingredients to find out what the top ingredients are. If they are feeding a “grain-free” food that has peas as a primary ingredient (top 10), they should consult with their veterinarian to determine if they need to make a change to their pet’s diet.

One guide for finding the right food for your pet is to make certain the label indicates that the food meets the requirements of the American Association of Feed Control Officers (AAFCO) and is a “Complete and Balanced” diet. This is not a marketing term, but a designation to assure pet owners that the product is “Complete,” meaning that it contains all the nutrients required, and “Balanced,” meaning that the nutrients are present in the correct ratios.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I use Hills Science diet adult sensitive stomach & skin in the chicken formula for my 2.5 yo with success for the past 1.5 yrs! 👏 Try it. Best of luck 😀👍

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hello,
I am by no means an authority (second boxer and she is getting close to 5 months) but we have been on Royal Canin since day one per our breeders recommendation. Started with the "puppy chiot" and were in the process of switching to the "boxer puppy". We chat with our breeder on a regular basis (she has been so helpful for tons of things) but she has switched to "life's abundance" for all of her dogs after being an RC person for years and recommended for us to switch too. (cost is about the same)

prodect info:
"This line of products was formulated by Dr. Jane Bicks, DVM. She has been a holistic vet for over 20 years. She has served as President of the American Veterinarian Association of New York City, earned three Presidential Citations, appointed by Mayor Rudolph Guliano to help establish one of the largest animal shelters in the world, the author of three books on responsible care and treatment of pets, and has appeared on 48 Hours, Good Morning America, CNN, Discovery Channel, Animal Planet, and more. She has also created a non-profit foundation where a percent of her product line is contributed toward rescue and care for pets."

We were having trouble getting Charlie to eat and having to do supplements to make sure she was getting everything she needed (tuna, fish oil, probiotics etc.) This food seems to have all built in and best of all she absolutely loves it (and the pellet size is very small). You feed less because they actually absorb it so well, poop less too! So far we are all super happy but time will tell.

I'm not selling this stuff but just wanted to pass on the info, here's photos of what all is in it etc. (I took them for our vet so I had them handy lol)
Good luck!
Rick

Font Material property Paper Publication Paper product Dog White Pet supply Font Dog supply Sleeve Material property Font Publication Paper Dog Dog breed Product Green Carnivore

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This is the one my vet recommended

I use them everyday for awhile and when I think its not necessary I stop. I've also tried in the past just put a tablespoon of plain greek yogurt as a topper on their food, or canned pumpkin as a topper (not the pie filling).
Thanks Ill look into that, i currently switch foods from royal canin to taste of the wild since hes burning his food off quick being at the daycare almost all week. So far he likes it, but he stool is the same but i know its gonna take a min before i see a change.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hello,
I am by no means an authority (second boxer and she is getting close to 5 months) but we have been on Royal Canin since day one per our breeders recommendation. Started with the "puppy chiot" and were in the process of switching to the "boxer puppy". We chat with our breeder on a regular basis (she has been so helpful for tons of things) but she has switched to "life's abundance" for all of her dogs after being an RC person for years and recommended for us to switch too. (cost is about the same)

prodect info:
"This line of products was formulated by Dr. Jane Bicks, DVM. She has been a holistic vet for over 20 years. She has served as President of the American Veterinarian Association of New York City, earned three Presidential Citations, appointed by Mayor Rudolph Guliano to help establish one of the largest animal shelters in the world, the author of three books on responsible care and treatment of pets, and has appeared on 48 Hours, Good Morning America, CNN, Discovery Channel, Animal Planet, and more. She has also created a non-profit foundation where a percent of her product line is contributed toward rescue and care for pets."

We were having trouble getting Charlie to eat and having to do supplements to make sure she was getting everything she needed (tuna, fish oil, probiotics etc.) This food seems to have all built in and best of all she absolutely loves it (and the pellet size is very small). You feed less because they actually absorb it so well, poop less too! So far we are all super happy but time will tell.

I'm not selling this stuff but just wanted to pass on the info, here's photos of what all is in it etc. (I took them for our vet so I had them handy lol)
Good luck!
Rick

View attachment 136775 View attachment 136776 View attachment 136777 View attachment 136778
Oh man, i just switched him from royal canin to taste of the wild puppy food, but ill keep this in mind if he doesn't do well on it.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Hello,

prodect info:

Good luck!
Rick

View attachment 136775 View attachment 136776 View attachment 136777 View attachment 136778
That food doesn't look bad, I have talked to my Vet extensively about the Pea and Lentil potato thing in the grain free dog food she also advised me to not use any grain inclusive food with Peas or lentils in the first 10 ingredients in on the bag so that's one big red flag to look for.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Oh man, i just switched him from royal canin to taste of the wild puppy food, but ill keep this in mind if he doesn't do well on it.
Taste of the Wild is on the FDA food list so I would get your dog off of it. I lost two dogs to food related DCM it was not fun

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I have a 2 year old male that has a sensitive stomach so I switched him to Purina One Healthy digestion with probiotics with chicken he seems to be doing very well with it and his stools are good and best of all peas are not in the top ten ingredients! Science Diet also has a sensitive digestion formula I haven't used that one but other have luck with it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have a 2 year old male that has a sensitive stomach so I switched him to Purina One Healthy digestion with probiotics with chicken he seems to be doing very well with it and his stools are good and best of all peas are not in the top ten ingredients! Science Diet also has a sensitive digestion formula I haven't used that one but other have luck with it.
He couldnt do purina it tore his stomach up and he walk away from science diet food. I have a picker eater, but i need to find something he will eat and gain his weight back slowly. He has lost 5-8 pds from diarrhea and stomach issues.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts