Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've researched, gone to Dog food adviser, and I'm still confused. Doesn't take a lot, lol

Anyway, I have a 1yo and an 8month old boxer babies. I am currently feeding Wellness Large Breed puppy formula.

I'd like to switch to a grain free, all stage. I'm leaning toward Taste of the Wild Sierra Mountain Canine formula.
I have to be careful of the protein level, Bogie, the 8 month old, gets soft serve poops if the protein level is too high. Which is why I had to switch from Blue Buffalo when he came into our home. Dante, the one year old seems to have a sensitive stomach, he takes a Pepcid once a day for reflux.

I'm trying to get away from the brown rice in the dog food, read to much about the arsenic issue. I over think things sometimes :crazyeye: I'd also like to try something besides a chicken protein.

Raw is not for me, I have three dogs, an 8yo Rottie in addition to my two boxer boys. Not enough money, time or freezer space, lol.

So does anyone have any feed back on the TOTW? A better suggestion in the same price range.

Sorry to be so long winded, but I've been obsessing over this for the last week, and finally decided to come to the experts!

Thanks in advance for helping to point me in the right direction.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I switched initially from store bought junk to Diamond Naturals Lamb Meal as well as Diamond Naturals Beef Meal kibble. I like those because the only grain in them is Buckwheat which is a non-issue in regards to digestion and can even be considered healthy. Then I switched to Taste of the Wild and both Rex and Bailey have been getting that. I get mostly the fish based one on Amazon and I recently tried the Prairie one. I'm skipping wetlands because Rex has a sensitivity to bird meat and there's a lot of bird protiene in the Wetlands one.

In all honesty, I really like Taste Of The Wild and I even like the Walmart Brand Pure Balance grain free kibble though it tends to be more expensive than the TOTW so I only get that when I'm running low and my latest order hasn't arrived.

I would have absolutely no issue giving them the Diamond Naturals kibble as I think it is a quality food as well as fantastically priced. In case you didn't know, TOTW is owned by Diamond so there are similarities between the brands they sell. The only thing is you have to make sure you're buying the Diamond Naturals that only contains Buckwheat. It's easy to mistake Diamond Naturals for the regular Diamond offering which does contain grain.

TOTW fish based seems to work well for both Rex and Bailey, they both seem to like it. Their eyes are very clear, their coats very shiny and their energy levels are steady instead of getting sugar spikes like they would be having shortly after a meal of regular, store bought, corn and wheat based junk.

Their poops are solid, for the most part. Rex has a bit of a sensitive stomach so it can be hit or miss with him. I think I need to put him back on the Pepcid but it's not easy getting him to take a pill. Boxers are masters of spitting out pills.

As a matter of fact, it has been my experience that the Diamond Naturals (based on Buckwheat) really agreed very well with Rex's stomach so you may want to consider that one. I believe the Buckwheat actually settled his stomach quite a bit but as I'm feeding 2 dogs I have to think about Bailey and her needs so I eventually went the TOTW rout as it's not overly expensive, especially if you have an Amazon Prime membership. You get free shipping on lots of items with the Prime membership and you get a huge selection of streaming movies and TV shows from Amazon included in that price. So it's something to think about. It definitely works for me and I keep renewing it as I buy a lot of stuff through Amazon.

Anyway, hope that helps.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info Ogien.
I did look at the Diamond Naturals, but all the ones I found around here, SE Texas, included rice. Diamond Naturals Lamb Meal & Rice, or Beef and Rice, none of those had buckwheat. Are rice and buckwheat interchangeable?
Sorry if I sound dense, I just don't know, lol.

Another question, I'm sure you've said somewhere, but I forget, how old are your pups?
And what age should I start feeding adult food, because if I remember right, the fish based TOTW is stated to be for adult dogs. Or are you referring to the puppy formula of these foods?

Sorry, but I want to get it right, I don't like switching up their food very often, lol

·
Premium Member
13,468 Posts
TOTW makes 2 formulas that are lower in protein I believe. The fish based one made my two shed a lot so I used to feed the lamb based one until all the recalls came out.

Earthborn Holistic also makes 2 formulas that are lower in protein (I currently feed the Sierra Mountain formula- lamb based)

Natural Balance makes a bunch of limited ingredient grain free formulas that are also lower in protein.

All 3 of the above are in the same price range.

:)

·
Registered
793 Posts
Thanks for the info Ogien.
I did look at the Diamond Naturals, but all the ones I found around here, SE Texas, included rice. Diamond Naturals Lamb Meal & Rice, or Beef and Rice, none of those had buckwheat. Are rice and buckwheat interchangeable?
Sorry if I sound dense, I just don't know, lol.

Another question, I'm sure you've said somewhere, but I forget, how old are your pups?
And what age should I start feeding adult food, because if I remember right, the fish based TOTW is stated to be for adult dogs. Or are you referring to the puppy formula of these foods?

Sorry, but I want to get it right, I don't like switching up their food very often, lol
Well that's just it. There is no such thing as "getting it right." You match the food to the individual dog. Some foods work better for individual dogs than others.

As for rice? Rice is not something that I even consider a grain. One of the easiest things to digest and the based of the "wet food" I cook for them to mix in with the TOTW. The reason Grain free is important is because you don't want dogs eating corn which is not well digested and turns into pure sugar in their systems. Wheat has a whole slew of allergies related to it.

Buckwheat and Rice have none of these issue that Corn and Rice do. I'm not trying to convince you I'm just trying to set the record straight so you understand the whole purpose of the "Grain Free" issue.

Bailey is 2 and Rex is 5.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Why not stick with Wellness and go to the grain free variety?
Two reasons, top of the list is the protein level... too high for my youngest dog.
#2 the cost, between $60 & &70 dollars for a 26lb bag, and these two would go through that in a couple of weeks. TOTW is $46 for a 30lb bag. It may not seem like a big price difference but it does add up.

Thanks Ogien, I guess I was just a little over concerned, after reading about the arsenic in rice products. Guess it's just buy the best you can and see what works with each dog. Oh well, lol.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone tried satori food?
It has good reviews but I’d like to know how it is for boxer puppies. I have been using royal canin boxer puppy food but I can’t find it anymore. When they started selling out I bought 6 bags and I still have two left. But I want to know what I should switch to. She is only 7 months old and is doing so well on the RCanin.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts