Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are a million threads on this topic, but I thought I would start my own. My boxer Reese is 7 months old and is eating Purina Pro Plan Focus for puppies because that is what the breeder fed him and I stuck with it ever since. However, he doesn't seem particularly interested in his dog food like most dogs are. In fact, I've had to add cheese, yogurt, etc. to it to get him to eat it. So I'm thinking of trying a new brand gradually. I've read up on some good brands but I was wondering what all of you fed your dog

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
We feed Taste of the Wild. It's grain free and since one of our pups has a delicate tummy we feed the Lamb. They have several flavors and are reasonably priced for a good food.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
check out Dog Food Reviews and Ratings | Dog Food Advisor they have an absurd amount of information on dog food, rating them all from 1 star to 5 star.. Try to seek for a food at least 4 stars. Generally speaking boxers tend to do best with grain free kibble, also you don't have to feed a puppy formula, "all life stages" can be fed as well. I like Acana and Fromm. Especially Acana,really think their ingredients and how it's made is spot on.. I think we all have had to deal with trial and error with our boxer kids, just cause one dog food fits for one, might not fit for another pup.. I Hope that kinda help

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both! I was looking at both of those as options because I read they were really good.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Welcome from Georgia!

Here are some choices that boxer owners have had success with (boxers usually do better on grain free kibble): Acana Singles, Acana Regionals (both of these have several varieties), Fromm, Victor, Taste of the Wild, Earthborn, Merrick, and Wellness Core. If you find that your dog has an especially sensitive tummy, Natural Balance LID sometimes helps (low in protein, so don't use unless necessary). Every dog is different, so you'll just have to find which one works for your dog.

You'll find that with the better kibbles, you need to feed less, or your dog may experience tummy upset (again, depends on the dog). Many of them have a high KCal (calorie), so not as much is needed. Whatever you choose to try, transition slowly (at least 2 weeks) to avoid tummy upset.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I second Taste of the Wild, I feel strongly that it's a great food. Blue Buffalo is good too, and Orijen is very expensive but top quality. I highly suggest grain free, and stay away from too much chicken. I wouldn't do Science Diet.
Some dogs are more into food than others, that's totally normal. If you want him to eat more, or to make is more exciting, try stirring in a little vet food, pumpkin, or just some water.

·
Registered
30 Posts
We, too, are currently feeding what the breeder was feeding. (Beneful puppy: chicken)
We also were given a can of Pedigree puppy, that she devoured like she was starving, but I have never been a fan of canned foods. Anyone use canned foods?

I'm interested in grain free options, but I need an affordable option and those two don't typically go hand in hand. Most important factors for me are the nutrition for what will be a very active lifestyle, and the reduction of "Boxer gas".

·
Registered
168 Posts
We, too, are currently feeding what the breeder was feeding. (Beneful puppy: chicken)
We also were given a can of Pedigree puppy, that she devoured like she was starving, but I have never been a fan of canned foods. Anyone use canned foods?

I'm interested in grain free options, but I need an affordable option and those two don't typically go hand in hand. Most important factors for me are the nutrition for what will be a very active lifestyle, and the reduction of "Boxer gas".
If you have a Tractor Supply near you, try their 4 Health Puppy. That's what I feed my girl and she has done well on it. It's not grain free but so far no allergies. She will be switched to 4 Health Lamb and Rice when she is old enough. That's what I feed Boomer. The same company makes Taste of the Wild which is what I used to use. 4 Health is Tractor Supplies house brand and runs about $10 less for 35 lbs. I do mix 4 Health can food occasionally, but I usually boil ground chicken, turkey or lamb for them.

FYI, I would get Princess off Beneful and Pedigree ASAP. They are junk.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I do have a tractor supply nearby. We feed their brands to our livestock! I feel dumb now for not thinking of checking into their foods. Thank you!

·
Registered
168 Posts
I was feeding Boomer the Salmon and Potato which has 25% protien. He was having tummy issues so I switched to the Lamb and Rice. It is 21% protien. The puppy food is Lamb based and 27% protien.

Raven was on puppy chow when I got her. Yuk! I know you are supossed to wean them slowly off their current food but I switched her to 4 Health cold turkey. Her stool the next day was better then when on the puppy chow. I wasn't going to feed her anymore of that crap!

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Just a word for Victor it is grain free, we started feeding it at 5 months, we use the Victor Select high energy. It is $40. including tax at your local feed store. It also has a good rating on dogfoodadvisor.com
However our boy does have gas, always has, I just saw a thread about adding digestive enzymes and probiotic so I think I will try that. I don't know why but he has had some major loud smelly clear the room gas lately.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Our eldest has had gas. I mean the type that burns your nose hairs, and waters your eyes. We tried switching his food, but each time his tummy would make noises like two cats fighting inside it, and he would have a severe drool issue. The gas would soon come and would be only what I could describe as "Nuclear". So we have stuck with "old roy" for him. It isn't great food, but he has done very well for the past 12 years with it.
With our new pup, we wanted to try a better food option as we have 2 young children who will keep her running. Boomer tries to play with the kids, but at his age he wants to lay down after a few quick sprints.

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
Our eldest has had gas. I mean the type that burns your nose hairs, and waters your eyes. We tried switching his food, but each time his tummy would make noises like two cats fighting inside it, and he would have a severe drool issue. The gas would soon come and would be only what I could describe as "Nuclear". So we have stuck with "old roy" for him. It isn't great food, but he has done very well for the past 12 years with it.
With our new pup, we wanted to try a better food option as we have 2 young children who will keep her running. Boomer tries to play with the kids, but at his age he wants to lay down after a few quick sprints.
Did you do the switch gradually over a period of at least 10-14 days? Sudden switches will cause stomach upset for sure!

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
If you have a Tractor Supply near you, try their 4 Health Puppy. That's what I feed my girl and she has done well on it. It's not grain free but so far no allergies. She will be switched to 4 Health Lamb and Rice when she is old enough. That's what I feed Boomer. The same company makes Taste of the Wild which is what I used to use. 4 Health is Tractor Supplies house brand and runs about $10 less for 35 lbs. I do mix 4 Health can food occasionally, but I usually boil ground chicken, turkey or lamb for them.

FYI, I would get Princess off Beneful and Pedigree ASAP. They are junk.
FYI - 4Health has a grain free option too! :)

4health Grain Free Turkey & Potato Formula for Adult Dogs, 30 lb. Bag - For Life Out Here

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
We sure did! We did over 7 days though.
Could be he just needed more time...

but at his age, even though Ol' Roy is a terrible food and it pains me to say this, if he's doing well on it then what's the point upsetting his tummy? I would probably do the same and just keep him on it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts