Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have started Bo on Diamond Large Breed Lamb and Rice Puppy formula.  Just wondering what ya'll thought about it.  There were some recalls on it in 2005, however nothing recently.  Pet supply here said it is just as good as Nutro and is only 15 bucks for a 20 pound bag.

Diamond Naturals
Large Breed Puppy Lamb & Rice Formula

* Contains DHA for Brain and Eye Development
   * Antioxidant Formulation
   * Balanced Omega Fatty Acids for Skin and Coat
   * Large Kibble Optimized for Large Breed Puppies
   * Ideal Protein and Fat Levels for Optimal Nutrition

Proper levels of protein, fat, calories and minerals will help your large breed puppy grow and thrive. Calcium and phosphorus provide ideal bone and joint development, and the addition of L-carnitine helps convert fat to energy and develop lean body condition and strong bones. Also contains DHA for optimal brain and eye development.
Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein 27.0% Minimum
Crude Fat 15.0% Minimum
Crude Fiber 3.0% Maximum
Moisture 10.0% Maximum
Calcium 1.2% Minimum
Phosphorus 1.2% Maximum
Phosphorus 1.0% Minimum
Zinc 150 mg/kg Minimum
Selenium 0.4 mg/kg Minimum
Vitamin E 150 IU/kg Minimum
L-Carnitine * 30 mg/kg Minimum
Omega-6 Fatty Acids * 2.2% Minimum
Omega-3 Fatty Acids * 0.3% Minimum
DHA (Docosahexaenoic acid) * 0.05% Minimum

* Not recognized as an essential nutrient by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profile.

Calorie Content: 3,656 kcal/kg (342 kcal/cup) Calculated Metabolizable Energy.

AAFCO Statement
   Animal feeding tests using Association of American Feed Control Officials procedures substantiate that Diamond Naturals Large Breed Lamb & Rice Puppy Formula provides complete and balanced nutrition for all life stages.
Ingredients
   Lamb, lamb meal, egg product, cracked pearled barley, millet, ground rice, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), potato protein, oatmeal, potatoes, tomato pomace, flaxseed, natural flavor, salmon oil (source of DHA), ocean fish meal, potassium chloride, choline chloride, dried chicory root, kelp, carrots, peas, apples, tomatoes, blueberries, spinach, dried skim milk, cranberry powder, rosemary extract, parsley flake, yucca schidigera extract, L-Carnitine, Enterococcus faecieum, Lactobacillus casei, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Saccharomyces cerevesiae fermentation solubles, dried Aspergillus oryzae fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I read that and it says Diamond scored a 92.  Is that good enough dog food or should I get something better.  All I have access to in my area is chicken soup, Nutro natural and Nutro something else.  Chicken soup is made by the same company as diamond according to the feed store.  I just wanted to make sure this was okay... It's like 10 bucks cheaper per bag than the other stuff and I didn't see a whole lot of difference.  I probably should have just got the higher stuff.  It's not like I don't love Bo enough to spend the extra 10 bucks.......

·
Registered
294 Posts
The score seems adequate enough and you have to work with what's available in your area.  I have read a posts about Large Breed foods though, because boxers are considered a Medium Sized breed and that Large breed formulas might not be good for our babies.  
I made the same assumption and was feeding Beckham large breed puppy formula, but now he's on Merrick - Grammy's Potpie.

Hopefully someone with a bit more knowledge/info will fill you in on the large breed food not being good for our medium-sized boxer babies.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am going to do the math on it myself, I don't know for sure if the one listed is the same one I bought.... Arrgggg....

This is all so confusing to me.  I wonder what is considered a large breed dog then.  IMO small would be like a chihuaha, medium a cockerspaniel, large a boxer, and huge a great dane.. LOL....

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
In the dog food industry, any dog over 50 pounds is considered large breed. Boxers are technically a medium sized breed, however large breed foods were formulated to encourage slower and more even growth. We all know that boxers are fast growing pups, and with fast growth we see more joint and skeletal issues. It is thought that high protein diets can contribute to joint and skeletal issues (such as hip dysplasia) later in life. Puppy formulas tend to have more protein and fat in them which can promote faster growth in puppies leading to some of these joint problems and issues later on.
The large breed puppy foods are made to help slow down the growth by formulating them with less protein and fat. I don't think they really make a big difference being that the amount of protein and fat are not that different. I personally have just always avoided puppy formulas or large breed formulas. I think they are a marketing and sales gimmick. I would feed an "all stages" food right from the start, and would tend to just look at the amount of protein and fat in the food and stay under 28% protein and under 19-20% fat.
The Diamond food you are feeding Bo looks good to me. I don't see any by-products or artificial preservatives like BHA, BHT, or Ethoxyquin in it. If he is doing well on it, I would continue to feed it. I know how hard it is to find a good quality food that your boxer enjoys and does well on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts