Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked through the search and read up on the other posts on dog insurance. I only have 2 weeks before we get our pup, so just wanted to get some more current info/opinions. ANy opinions on which are the best? I really doubt we will keep insurance on our dog for years. But it seems to be a good bet for the first year? I I don't "think" we are looking for an "accident" type of insurance as much as a wellness/routine care insurance. I looked into VPI, and it looks like it would be about $40 per month.

How much do you think you have spent on NORMAL vet bills? If nothing major goes wrong, would the VPI policy with wellness plan still be worth it? If I am reading it right, I would pay first $50, then 90% of the remaining bill would be covered? Won't the first few visits, with the vaccines and tests, cost about $150 or more? It seems that it should cover the premium. I know one person that paid out the nose when their dog swallowed his watch :( And dental seems expensive, and the VPI premium covers that. Sigh, I don't need to get every last cent out of my yearly premium, but I would hate to pay over $400 a year for it, and only get back like $150.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I think this is a hard one because there are so many "what if's" several people have insurance and use it/like it so maybe they will respond....

First, make sure whatever insurance you are thinking of buying that your vet takes it.  Not all vet hospitals are set up to take insurance through all/if any company, so you would pay up front and wait to get money back....Care Credit has become popular......

Being worth it for routine care depends on what your vet will charge....that would be a good place to start....call them and ask what routine visits will cost for a puppy....your puppy may have already had 6 week shots and you would be going for 9 week and 14 weeks shots or something along those lines....Then you can figure out if it is worth the premium.....

Most insurance for dogs I would think would be for "something big" in general routine care, although not cheap, is the least expensive thing....compared to a surgery, broken leg or other serious thing......

My advice is to take your $50.00 a month and open a saving account marked for your pet.....let it earn interest and it is there when you need it...if you dont need it for more then routine items then it saves up in case there is something big down the road :)

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Sharon. Ya, I figure it is mostly for that "emergency" that will hopefully never happen. I just wondered since it is the first year, and we may make more than nomal trips to the vets, that it may be worth it for now. I know for a fact that they had their second set of shots, because we were not allowed to see them till after that. I will have to make sure, but it seemed that it would cost me about $150-$200 for a visit, and shots. So two of those, with $50 deductible, then 90% of remaining, it should start adding up. It is just hard to know for sure what all is covered. Like real insurance, they make the reading complicated and long.

I was looking to do a pay up front, then get reimbursed type, so I can pick which vet I want. I will try to dig some more and wait to see if anyone chimes in.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Well fortunately we had no what if's but he insurance has been great for us. We pay just over $30 a month and have no problem with claims or their covering anything. We use the ASPCA insurance. I couldn't tell you about VPI. I didn't go withthem because there were a lot of complaints about their claim handling and refunds.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Also keep in mind, different parts of the country fees are very different..I took Flick in on Saturday for a wellness check and 2nd set of shots, my bill was $25..My vet IMO is incredibly reasonable...When I took Samson in for x-rays of his back legs, they were $95, the Adequan injections were where they got me $125, which still I thought was pretty reasonable...Also when you see your vet, ask what if any provisions they have fo rmaking payments if it becomes necessary.. I know mine will as long as you have been an established patient...I have a savings acct set up for mine, I set aside $100 a month(3 dogs) Angel is very healthy, Flick is so far, it's the old man that's making me spend so much time at the vet lately :)

·
Registered
370 Posts
I have VPI and got it when Allie was a pup, so I've had it for 3 years.  I pay $33 a month for it.  So far it has worked out great for me and I have had no problem with claims or forms or getting my check from them.  The other thing I like about it is that I can use it anywhere in the world as long as I have a US address (thanks Mom!).  I haven't made a claim with them since using a vet here in Tirana.  My vet charges $7 for exams so it wouldn't be worth filing the claim IMO.  I have it because if something were to happen, I know that Allie is covered and I don't have to worry.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
I have VPI on Hanna.   She is very healthy and I have paid 30 bucks per month and only needed to take her to the vet for shots, an ear infection, and a spay.  For got some rebates on that but with Kash we put 25 buck a month in the "Dog Fund" and use that shall anything come up.  In some cases like if I were to rescue or had a dog that I did not know the health history on then may do the insurance - but the cash in the account is working out pretty well for us.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all. I will look into the ASPCA. My local vets charge a bit more. I have it written down somewhere, but I think it was $35-$50 just to get in the door, and I am pretty sure each shot was about $25. I figured, two visits, all the shots, a spay/neuter, one dental cleaning, "poop" test, etc... At least the first year will be worth it. I have a couple more weeks to mull it over.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, here is a quick question. For those with VPI. There is the superior plan and the standard plan. Then the wellcare premier and wellcare core. The wellcare is the one that seems to be the one that would be used more often, and the superior or standard plan is the part for the what if's. Does the $50 deductible count on the wellcare part also? Lets say I go in for vaccine that cost $25. So I would pay $45 for the visit, and $25 for the vaccine. Do I now take $50 deductible off, then get 90% back from the $20?? It says $60 for two wellness exams. http://www.petinsurance.com/coverage/routinecare.aspx

It doesn't say if deductibles are needed first. Well, looks like I am going to need to sit and call them and ask all this. Hopefully their customer service speaks English.  :roll:  :roll:

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have VPI - from what I have seen, there is no deductible on the wellcare plan (we have the premier).   The deductible is only on the superior or the standard plan.

Hope this help!

and BTW  - their customer service has been really helpful.  I have even emailed them a few times and they got right back to me.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Piper08\";p=\"123835 said:
I have VPI - from what I have seen, there is no deductible on the wellcare plan (we have the premier).   The deductible is only on the superior or the standard plan.

Hope this help!

and BTW  - their customer service has been really helpful.  I have even emailed them a few times and they got right back to me.
Thank you, thank you! Just what I wanted to hear. I think I will go with the standard plan and the wellcare premier. First year, I know I will have to spay or neuter.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts