Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I noticed my dog has been itching a lot around his ears and neck. I checked him for fleas and he is on a monthly flea medicine so I know that it is not that.

I'm thinking maybe he has dry skin? I try to wash him once a week, is that too much? What can I buy that is less harsh/what can I put on him if it is dry skin or do you think it may be something else.

Thanks!

·
Registered
353 Posts
Bathing is suggested every 3 to 4 weeks unless he gets into mud etc. You don't want to dry out the natural oils in their skin.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I found this on allboxerinfo.com
"It is very important to only use canine shampoo. One may think that no harm would come from using human products; however this is not true. Canines are often allergic to human products and human shampoo has a completely different pH balance than what this breed requires for healthy skin and coat. Therefore, it is suggested to always use a effective canine shampoo, followed by a quality canine conditioner."

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you so much for this!

I do use dog shampoo, I must be washing him too much. Poor thing.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Why does he get a bath every week, does he smell ? The itching could be from the grain In his kibble, may be resulting in a yeast infection in his ear, where he is scratching. also which could be from the smell. ( if he smells )

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He get's the normal "dog smell" sometimes. I wash him a lot because we often go to the dog park and gets covered in dirt.

What smell does a yeast infection give off?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's possible, his eyes have been gooey and the vet said it may be allergies and gave me an ointment.

·
Super Moderator
7,025 Posts
Have him checked for ear mites. Bathing every week is crazy! If your dog smells than you need to look at his diet. My dogs get bathed every 4-6 months! You read that correctly, lol and it's not because they have any type of dog smell because they don't, it's simply to help remove loose hair and dirt from playing/laying outside in my backyard. My guys are very active, they love to dig holes and lay in them.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
If it is allergies, our vet gave us something called Douxo Chlorhexidine. They are pre-moistened pads we rub on the feet, and where she itches under the chin. You can order it without a prescription, but I'd ask my vet first. It also comes in a shampoo. For the itchy ears the vet gave us some Malacetic Ultra. Again, ask your vet. Both have helped the severe itching. The last month has been rough, but we're waiting for a good freeze here in Wisconin.

·
Registered
5,085 Posts
With my Boxer, Boxer Mixes and American Band Dawg ... all short hairs ... I had zero itching issues. But went I stumbled onto my "Big Furry Dog with a funny face" aka GSD yeah ... things changed???

The scratching and itching was insane!! Annual Kenalog shots became necessary! But I did not like doing that every year! So while I was also on the one or two bath for my "Boxer" and Band Dawg ... I had to change to more frequent "baths" for my GSD. Using a Medicated doggy shampoo and Vinegar baths.

I'd like to say twice a week but at 116 lbs and a Wobbly Dog yeah that is a hassle! But "he" got way more baths than my "Boxer" ever did. And it does seem to help. I also feed him unrefined organic Coconut oil.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts