Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Arizona and it is going to get into the 90's by next week which means 100's and above are coming soon.  Can any of you tell me the signs of a dog overheating and what I should or should not do if he is overheating?

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Living in south Florida, it gets pretty hot here too! The best advice I can give you is only take your dog out for exercise in the early mornings or late evenings. Avoid mid-day! It is way too hot for boxers to cool themselves down.
Signs of heat stroke are intense rapid panting, salivating, staggering, and weakness.  Advanced heat stroke signs are the dog will collapse and become unconscious.  The gums will appear pale and dry.  If your pet seems to be highly agitated, wide-eyed and panting uncontrollably...I'd get to the nearest animal hospital right away with the air conditioning at full blast.  Otherwise get the dog to a cool area and begin the treatment for heat stroke.
If you can take the pet's temperature rectally, ( I know....kind of hard with the little nubby's).  A body temperature of about 105 degrees or higher is probable evidence of heat stroke. You can put your boxer in a tub of cool running water or spray with a hose being sure the cool water contacts the skin and doesn't simply run off the coat. Thoroughly wet the belly and inside the legs. Run the cool water over the tongue and mouth.  Take a rectal temperature if possible to know when to stop cooling.  A safe temperature is about 103 degrees. Once the temperature gets to 103 or 104 degrees do not cool the pet any further because the cooling effects will continue to bring the temperature down even further.
I just watch my pets closely in the heat when they are outside. Once they start panting, I bring them in the Air conditioning.
I know we all know not to keep a dog in the car in the summer, but I will say it anyway. Please, Please do not keep your dog inside your vehicle when running errands. Even with the windows cracked, it get's way too hot for a dog to survive the heat!

·
Registered
28 Posts
tootsie\";p=\"3899 said:
Please, Please do not keep your dog inside your vehicle when running errands. Even with the windows cracked, it get's way too hot for a dog to survive the heat!
Hear, hear... what a horrible way to go - the poor pups! I've seen plenty of people do this & I hate it every time I see it! It's ridiculous - if you can't stand it yourself, try putting on a fur coat & dealing with it!

Anyhoo... Tootsie pretty much said it all, so yeah... what she said! :lol:

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Heres some great ideas to help you when it gets warm....All tested on the very patient Samson....Lol.....A wet towel wrung out, wrap it around the chest, cools them off, or if you can, get Cactus to lay on it...Marq took ice cubes and rubbed them on Samson's chest when they were in Florida last year...My favorite tho, is popsicles...They make doggie ones, but I just get the ones the you buy like at Walmart, they come in a big box, different flavors and you just stick some in the freezer til frozen...Samson favors the blueberry, orange and lime.... :) Also a quick dip in the tub or a in the creek, whatever is handy....Heat really bothers Samson so I always keep a very close eye on him. No walks except very early in the day. no excess playing outside etc.....

Hope this helps...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am relocating from Eastern WA to Phoenix (Mesa), AZ in August and am looking for some advice.  What is the likelihood of boxers catching heat stroke/exhaustion in that area.  Is it common?  How long could a boxer withstand the heat if the A/C in my home goes out?  I have read the symptoms/prevention of heat stroke/exhaustion, but I am still concerned that 100+ degree weather.  My biggest fear is that it seems like Ali's life is riding on the dependability of my A/C unit.  Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!  :)

·
Registered
236 Posts
I'm in North Texas where it almost got 100 today. Oh and it's sooo humid. Just awful already. The car temp thingy today said it was 97 8O!! It is waaaayyy too soon for this. I'm going TONIGHT to buy Ace a kiddie pool! I hope he actually uses it too cool off on not as a big drinking bowl :roll:  :wink: !

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
I'm in Mesa Az and can tell you that as long as you keep your dog inside during the hottest parts of the day and you make sure they have access to water they should be fine..always make sure there is shade in the back yard for the dog to find relief..I would not ever suggest to take the dog anywhere if it is to be left in the car..not good for them..way too hot here in the summer months..but from around mid october to the end of march it is really great here..hope this helps.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
The cooling vests, bandanas and mats are really great for those in really hot climates..As Samson gets older he is having a harder time with the heat anyways, so any thing I can do to help him I am all for it...Lol Grammie, the hose thing doesn' twork here, both of mine run for cover when they see a hose :lol:

G

·
0 Posts
samsonsmom\";p=\"126197 said:
Lol Grammie, the hose thing doesn' twork here, both of mine run for cover when they see a hose :lol:
vetty and baby girl do too!!  i had to wash their feet with the hose every time they came in yesterday to avoid the muddy paw prints from going in the pool and then burning!   baby girl was like a bucking bronco when i did hers!  even AFTER seeing what was coming when i did thor and vetty.  she settled down though.  all 3 of them let me wipe their feet before they come in.  it's so cute!

the best way to get them to allow you to hose them off is leash them and if you have a fence and gate, they will stand there all excited about going for walkies.  i have the hose ready and just tell them to wait - TOO HOT and to get that walkies, they'll gladly put up with the hose.

if you start with their feet to get them used to the hose, they eventually will tolerate it on their body.

or.....run like hell no matter what!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am also in mesa az,  my dogs love the kiddie pool and there is lots of shady areas to cool off in.  they love under the trampoline even which is where I keep the kiddie pool.  besides the kiddie pool I have several BIG bowels of drinking water that they think are also kiddie pools.  so funny.  One thing you can also do is freeze icecream buckets full of water and put in the doghouse/igloo or even in the  kiddie pool if they like the cold water.  mine love it.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Yesterday it was 107 here in Mesa and Elyse went swimming in the pool for the first time..boy she is a good swimmer and fast..she wanted out fast but was wiggling all around the pool deck after she got out and running around all happy..it was great..will have to get some pics of her swimming..so cute.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts