Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Great advice, thanks! We have an outside we go to in the summer, but also there is an inside park close to home that is nice to go to when the weather isn't so great! Lola loves the parks, I always get a little nervous when there are a lot of other dogs around though. Once Lola seems pretty calm, I'm a little bit better and can relax.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Our bark park is pretty good, Oscar gets along with other dog very well and it is so nice when you have the polite dog in the park. Hate when others are barking like crazy and owners do nothing to try and control their dogs. Seems they do not understand the difference in playing and aggression.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Our park (SPCA Dog Park in Hamilton) is terrible! It's shaped like a backwards "L", with the entrance gate in the bottom part, and an open field in the top part. The owners all sit on lawn chairs in the bottom part, talking, smoking, and letting their dogs run wild! One day a larger dog began to hump a smaller dog (Charlie). As the bigger dogs owner went to stop her dog, the smaller dog's owner shouted "Oh just leave them...Charlie will deal with it!" (Which he did by attacking the bigger dog!) At another point in time, a little Jack Russell was in it's owner's lap, and under his chair, growling and barking at our dog, then hiding where she couldn't get him. As she is a foster, who sometimes has dog aggression, we tried to get her away. Before we could, she went after the Jack Russell. The Jack Russell's owner was extremely rude to us, blaming our dog completely, and taking no responsibility for the fact that his dog instigated it. No one ever cleans up after their pet (even though there are garbage cans readily available!) Owners let their dogs off the leash before they are even in the park, so the dog is in, running crazy, while the owner is slowly closing the gates and walking to their seat. We have stopped taking our dog there because of these issues. Does anyone know of any GOOD dog parks near Hamilton, Ontario?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Not a fan of the parks. But I do see the positive aspects of it. Just didn't have any. Had a great Dane snap at my first boxer rather aggressively. Luckily my Boxer was quick to get out of the way of those jaws. My Rottweiler that I had who was the Boxers big brother ran full speed at the Dane and clocked it. That Rottweiler was very protective of the Boxer. Almost had a full blown fight because that Dane was picking on a few dogs and messed with the wrong dog my Rottweiler. Otherwise both were very well behaved dogs and wouldn't give a rip while at the dog park This is where training paid in spades. Both came to me immediately when called. All those hours and hours of positive training paid off.

·
Registered
72 Posts
We recently joined a new dog park here in Rochester, NY and have had some negative experiences in just the few weeks we've been a member. Our 1 year old George doesn't even comprehend what fighting or being mean is and has never even growled at a dog in his life. Several times in a row visiting this park we witnessed multiple dog fights and a few that George was physically very close to. The last time we went a large husky walked in and as George was standing by himself, threw 75 pound George over on his back scratching his entire back and began attacking him. His owner reluctantly got control and put him on a leash for a few minutes.

15 minutes later as George and several dogs were playing a pitbull came in and promptly came over and aggressively bit at George 2 times in a row. That owner got control and had to leave. As much as George loves dog parks and could run and play with other dogs for days on end, we think we are going to stay away from the park. To us it's not worth him getting hurt or picking up aggressive behavior from the dogs. It's a shame that owners know their dogs are aggressive and continue to bring them to places such as this where friendly dogs are sitting ducks for their aggression. You as the owner are responsible for your dog's behavior and if it has aggressive tendencies you should not allow it to be uncontrolled in environments such as these.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Justa, i go to the park with Benji almost everyday since he was 12 weeks old. Things like this are going to happen time to time. Even though owners don't want it to happen sometimes they do because dogs are dogs. You have a very young dog and this is expected to happen with very young dog ( other dogs trying to dominate her) I would not worry about it too much. Dogs are going to make vicious noises and growls when they try to dominate but again it does not mean they are going to go at it. Younger animal will submit and that will be the end of it. Always take caution when things like this do happen as there are instances where multiple dogs will gang up on your puppy. If this does happen just remove her out of the park and come back next time.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
We have a dog park here but I had a friend go to it & she said people just let their dogs run and the people are rude. Her dog had another dog go after it & the owner just continued to sit there talking away on their cell phone. So I'm kind of iffy on taking Pheona & I won't take Murphy anywhere till after she gets her 3rd set of shots (which is next Thursday). Thinking maybe I'll put my girls in the car after next week & maybe drive by the park. If it's not to bad, we will hang out for a while.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'd love some advice about the dog park.. but maybe more just socialization in general.

Last summer, we started taking Finn to the dog park and he loved it.. would run and chase with the other dogs, only ever a problem with 1 dog in particular and we kept him away when he was there (the dog park has 2 sections)

However - with the long long winter, we were not able to get Finn to the dog park, and when we did there was hardly anyone there.

We've gone every day for a week now, but we just haven't been able to let Finn run if anyone else shows up - he is jumping on the other dogs in a fairly aggressive manner, probably just overly excited or maybe he's forgotten how to act. But its at the point now where that other people leave because we're keeping Finn on the leash until he gets used to them, or we leave because he won't stop trying to jump all over the other dogs. I'd let them play, but the one time I tried that, he made the other dog yelp out in pain and the other dog owners were not pleased.

I'm not sure how to get him socialized when he won't behave long enough to spend any time with other dogs.

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
Best advice is to associate with know "safe dogs!" and training classes and avoid "I thought my dog was friendly" people! I taught my dogs to "ignore" other dogs!

Dog Parks are where a lot of behaviour problems come from. In addition to the obvious Dog on Dog "problems" a dog "can" learn from running around out of control with a pack of dogs, that what you say doesn't matter!

But trainers and behaviourist love them, Dog Parks are great for business!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3c5X8wCzc0&feature=youtu.be

This is what he is talking about:
Leerburg | Dog Parks: Why They Are A Bad Idea

Stay away from Dog Parks and "I thought my Dog was friendly people!" That would be the best way to avoid and having need of this knowledge:
Leerburg Dog Training | How to Break Up a Dog Fight Without Getting Hurt
Close Encounters in Dog Parks | The Bark

If you want to go anyway,then at least know this, thsse would be the dogs that can signal...trouble is on the way!
Three Dogs Who Shouldn’t Be at the Dog Park or Daycare | Robin Bennett

Dogs aren't the only "danger" at a dog park beware "some owners!"
Probe Continues After Dog Fatally Shot At Park | WBAL Home - WBAL Home

It was along time ago now...but the dog is still dead! Other than that moron...by and large you won't find k9's and Service Dogs in Dog Parks.

By and large you won't find well trained, well disciplined dogs in a Dog Park. If you do see them by and large they are dogs following there owner around and not engaged in the "good times." They are usually there for "proofing" and those would be the dogs that "won't be causing problems. :)

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
Lou Castle
Unread Today, 05:42 PM #38 (permalink)
LouCastle
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_barker View Post
When we step out of the vehicle and as soon as he sees / hears the other dogs I can feel his body tense as he starts barking and pulling on the lead. Now with much work I have stopped the pulling when we get there but he barks with excitement the whole way to the park gate.
This is the only place he does this. I can walk him around the neighbourhood, downtown, through the country and he is fine.[end quote]

I'd suggest that you stop going to dog parks. They're an EXCELLENT place for your dog to be victimized by people looking for "bait dogs" for their fighting dogs. They're an EXCELLENT place to expose your dog to dogs that may not be vaccinated. They're an EXCELLENT place to expose your dog to dogs that are plagued by parasites such as mange and scabies. They're an EXCELLENT place for your dog to be ganged up on by a pack of dogs whose owner have no control of them and who will not own up to any responsibility if your dog is injured by their dog.

I use them for distraction training, never going into them, never exposing my dogs or those of my clients, to the dangers they harbor.

Lou Castle, Los Angeles, CA
[email protected]
Home
LouCastle is offline Report Post

It's not just "me". :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
I used to take my other dog(may she rest in peace) but found the one here was disgusting. Dog poop everywhere, even though plenty of free poop bags and receptacles to toss in, cliques gathered in circles gossiping about others, people just generally not paying attention to their pets. Wasn't worth the hassle. We have many trails and watershed areas to cruise around on.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts