Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When do you think is the best time to let your dog or my haven play with unknown dogs at the dog park because not everyone that comes are up to date on shots ect.. How do you know or what do you do?
Samantha

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
In Houston, they are supposed to be current on shots and stuff, but nobody is around to enforce this.

I would wait until she has had most of her shots.  But then again, you can sign up for puppy training class as young as five months.  I would just make sure she doesn't eat anything at the dog park and give a bath when you get home.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
The city run dog parks here require a city license to get in.  To maintain your license you are supposed to prove that your dog is up to date on shots.
There are a couple flaws with this.  I don't think there is a whole lot of enforcement in the park that all dogs have licenses.  The license renewal is by mail.  So, neither of these really ensure that your pup's playmates are up to date.  All you can guarantee is that your pup is up to date.  You should also keep him from drinking any community water and from eating any poop or grass/rocks ect in the park.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ya i am worried about it. I really want her to be able to play but i mean you just dont know anymore. I know that we have a dog park and there is never anybody there. They come like once a night to clean and thats it. She is up to date on everything now exept her rabies because the vet is doing it at six months?
Samantha

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
We dont have to many here but I am not all for them.  (Dog Parks).   I think they are a breeding ground for stuff, place for the unexpected to happen and many more....

For our playgroups, I look for people who have boxers.  I meet the dog and test the temperments and then find a place to have a playdate.  No dog in my group is there that I have not met before or know their lineage or where they came from.   Precaution because I am looking out for my dogs.

I tend to only play with those I know.  I know may sound snotty, but in a dog park there are dogs there that you do not know their temperments, nor their owners temperments let alone history.   Best IMO to avoid these all together.  

I try to have monlth playdates or get together with other boxer owners in a smaller environment.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
We have a great dog park here since it is run by the city, they have pretty strong controls (don't want to get sued). The park has park patrol and they are serious about checking for park licenses.  A park license requires that you have a community license (which requires that you have all up to date shots).  Aggressive dogs are removed and not allowed to come back unless they can prove the dog is no longer aggressive.  They are also talking about requiring a CGC certificate but not sure that will go through.

I usually go around the same time and know 99% of the dogs that are there at that time.  It is really a good bunch of dogs and owners.  Each park is different make sure that you check it out before you go.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
We have dog parks here and I took Sam one time and never again! Sam is such a happy go lucky guy and this Springer Spaniel comes flying out of the water and attacks him. The dumb owner just said oh,guess he has a thing for boxers...I said well then he probably shouldn't be at a dog park then, should he? Some people are so damn dumb! That was enough for me! Plus like hannabanana said it is a potential breeding ground for germs and parasite I don't want my pups exposed to.

·
Banned
2,318 Posts
i take sumya to doggie parks, so far we have been lucky. i always make sure that she is up to date on her bordetella as well

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
I personally think it all depends on your park - each one is different.

***Side note - bordella only covers certain strains of kennel cough.  So its not 100% effective and there are numerous strains out there.   So you still can catch it even though you vaccinate for it:)

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Not a fan of dog parks myself, maybe I just don't know of a great one, but it's not really the dogs....I don't trust the people!  A lot of my friends have dogs and kids so my puppy gets plenty of socialization.   And more importantly, I know the dogs and it's a safe location.  I might be more adventurous when oggie is full grown.  But maybe I'm just paranoid

·
Banned
2,318 Posts
HannaBanana\";p=\"50857 said:
I personally think it all depends on your park - each one is different.

***Side note - bordella only covers certain strains of kennel cough.  So its not 100% effective and there are numerous strains out there.   So you still can catch it even though you vaccinate for it:)

i did not know that! thanks for the info :D

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone for all the advise. I am already scared of the dog park but now I may just stay away. due to the fact I have never seen anybody there checking. I have not taken haven yet but I went because they have a park (for kids the two legged kind) and I seen this lady open up her car and her golden retriever was running lose about 100 ft away from her and she just sat there. What if he jumped on my lil haven and it was only me(well some of you think she is huge lol) I do have play dates with her mommy and daddy and the rest of her extended family. I am posting pics of this below from Fri. The first picture is the whole gang but haven is the one taking a PEE  :lol: The 2nd is haven and her friend izzy. The third is Haven's daddy lennox

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
[quote="kiahsmom\";p=\"50822":nzvj9iw5]We have a great dog park here since it is run by the city, they have pretty strong controls (don't want to get sued). The park has park patrol and they are serious about checking for park licenses.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I'm with Heather about this. I really love our monthly meetups. I know everyone and their Boxers, so I feel better about Angel playing with all her buddies with no worries....We don't have any dog parks here, but I wouldn't use them probably. If you have a park, like Barb's that do monitoring and have a park fee, that is better for sure....

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ya i think that is what i am going to do! I am glad i asked before taking her though. It helps me to hear all your feedback because you guys have been there done that. This is my first time lol.
Samantha

What do you think of the pictures of her playing with mommy and daddy and friends above.
Samantha

1 - 15 of 15 Posts