Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Just wondering if dogs can suffer from separation anxiety from one another. I know that they can suffer from separation anxiety from their "humans".

Diesel has been with Kiwi since we got her and it has been a month and a half now and now she is extremely bonded it seems. If she is ever without Kiwi then she throws a bit of a fit. If we have Kiwi outside with us and she is inside (Or vice versa) she will whine and bark and chew on whatever is near her (Besides her toys of course because that would be too nice for us). She can be "left alone" (basically us be out of sight) so long as Kiwi is near her and she can reach her.

If there is such a thing as dog separation anxiety are there any other ways that I can lessen this? I will be taking Diesel on a trip with me next weekend and not too sure what to expect and want to make things as easy on her as I can.

Thank you.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Yes, they can and do go through separation anxiety from being away from each other.

My two girls were separated for a couple months and luckily we were able to "borrow" another Boxer during that time to keep the lonely one company.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah okay glad I am not the only one :)

I would take the two dogs on the trip but it's just for the night and my kennels aren't very travel friendly so they wouldn't fit in my car together. She will be in good hands at my house and 3 hours away if things get too stressful. I am hoping it will be good to get some one on one time though :).

Fingers crossed this short trip tells me more about the future to come, but I think more than likely in the future to make sure they are both as relaxed as possible (Like when I make the 10 hour trip home to visit my family) they will both be there together :).

·
Registered
4,943 Posts
If you have two dogs, it's very important to spend one on one time training them! The second dog will takes it's cues from the first dog!

You could easily put the new in danger because you "think" it knows something it doesn't...don't leave the car without permission for one!

I got lucky with Struddell,area was safe,I realized she wasn't car proofed she was always cueing off Gunther...opps!

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ah thank you very much!

This will definitely be a good thing to keep in mind. I do believe I have been thinking that she knows things but yeah she is doing them completely due to what Kiwi is doing, not due to her actually knowing them. In a one on one situation she would definitely need training and I will start doing that with her ASAP. I definitely don't want to make the mistake in situations with leaving the car for example like you gave. Expecting her to know to wait until she's allowed out. If Kiwi isn't there she really wouldn't know.

Thank you for that tip :)

·
Registered
378 Posts
I realize this is a slightly older thread, but I just saw it, so its new to me, lol. How did your trip go? How are the dogs doing now?

As others said, yes, dogs absolutely can suffer from separation anxiety from one another. I know it sometimes means that things will take twice as long, but the best way to avoid and correct this problem is to be sure to spend one on one time with each dog. That could mean that you take them on separate walks, that you leave one inside while playing with the other outside & then switch, or that you take one on a car ride, then later spend time alone outside with the other...whatever works! You should also crate the puppy in a room on her own, rather than letting her rely on Kiwi's presence in a room with her. The idea is that she needs to learn that its ok to be alone. Otherwise if you ever need to separate the two of them the you know what may hit the fan.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts