Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!  I am not sure if you remember us, but we adopted our boxer a couple of months ago.  We love her and she has fit into our family just great.  If you remember, I am not a huge dog fan, but I do love our Annie girl.  

Here is my question:  What is with all of the dog hair!  I understand dogs shed, but it seems like she sheds alot!  However, it does seem to be a new development.  It finally got cold here in Tennessee and I am wondering if that is part of the problem.  My son will play with her and his clothes are covered in dog hair!  I try to brush her everyday and I vaccum the floor daily.  I know it seems excessive, but I am very high maintance when it comes to cleaning!  

Is there anything else I can do?  Is it a seasonal thing, or should I just live with it?

Thanks for letting me vent. I enjoy reading all of the posts.

Michelle

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
when you find an answer let me know!  Jessie sheds like crazy... But Maggie doesnt!

i have yet to find an answer!

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Sophie just started to shed and I can't tell you why.  It's about 12 degrees here and not exactly the time I would have picked to shed my winter coat.  All I can tell you is I vacuum every day and use one of those sticky lint removers to get rid of the hair.  Kane shed really bad in the summer until I switched their food, but that doesn't answer the question as to why Sophie's shedding now - unless it's just that she is blowing puppy coat.  Sometimes she looks like I rolled her in a barrel of lint and dust - so if you find out the answer - let me know!  I have heard lots of good things about the Furminator (not sure about the spelling) for getting rid of the dead hair.  I think I'm definitely going to buy one even though they are short haired dogs!

·
Registered
362 Posts
I bought a furminator just a few months before my greyhound died.  Worked really well on him.  Haven't used it on Cooper since he has no hair to shed right now.  If you'll look at your Bed, Bath and Beyond, they sometimes carry a similar brush for about half the price.  Same exact head but you can rotate it.  The furminator brand brush ain't cheap.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
[quote="48Dodge\";p=\"62270":3ir3y1hz]I bought a furminator just a few months before my greyhound died.

·
Registered
893 Posts
My Ekim barely sheds, but Delila seems to have a longer coat, I bet she sheds. What type of coat do your boxers have. Ekims is course and very very short, Delila's is soft and a little longer. ( Could be that way because she is a puppy ).

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Kiah shed really bad on Canidae, so for her it was an allery to something in the food; she hardly sheds now.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
So far almost no shedding with my pup.  I've been amazed.  He did a little bit in the fall when the weather changed, but wasn't much.  He seems to have pretty short, coarse hair.  Honestly I've yet to brush him, I really need to buy a brush but I don't know what kind to get!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Samson's hair is a bit coarser & thicker, so he has always shed terribly..He never lost his winter coat from last year actually, until I got a Zoom Groom by Kong...Oh man, did that make a difference!!!! Food also CAN sometimes cause Boxers to shed more as well, so it's possible that could be part of it.....

http://www.strictlypetsupplies.com/_035585511139.html

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I agree with the food issue causing sheding.  Kane shed tons of hair until we started him on Merrick and then it stopped.  Sophie and Kane both have very short coats.  But I should have added that even though it is very cold here, they are only outside a very short amount of time.  99% of the time they are in the house where it is warm and we have extremely low humidity here so that could account for the shedding too.  Some people found that adding salmon oil supplements to their dogs food helped with the problem as well.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
We have a black lab mix and she used to shed bad to, we started giving her eggs at least twice a week, and the shedding has gotten alot better.  You might try that.

·
Banned
2,318 Posts
sumya sheds alot, but i seemed to notice as she has grown older she lost that soft puppy coat and her coat has become more coarse.  she is 9 months now and it is all nearly gone. the only spot that is soft is her chest. :(

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks so much.  I was wondering if it could be the treats Santa brought for her.  It seemed to get worse after Christmas.  Also, we had her boarded for a few days when we went out of town and I was told she could still be nervous.  Since we adopted Annie, she has put on weight and her coat is getting softer and shiner (? not sure of spelling!)  She looks so much better now, so we can put up with the shedding.    I would say she is a short haired dog, but maybe not?  She is more like a Boston Terrier than a Golden.  

I think I will also try out the Bed Bath and Beyond this week-end!

Michellle

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Savannah sheds like there is no tomorrow, but reese doesnt shed much at all!! very weird...i have to vacuum every other day around the kennel or else i get a hair build up :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts