Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if any of you thought that putting your dogs name on a dog tag is a bad idea? I have heard suggestions saying that you shouldn't because a thief could find out your dogs name and use it to "befriend" the dog.  I think the suggestion was from a British show, and dog theft might be more common there.  

What do all of you have engraved on your dogs tags?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Both of mine have their name on their tags. I don't know that a stranger could get close enough to Guido to read his tag some days. I can understand why they would say that, but I also think it would be helpful if caught by animal control.

Besides already being micro-chipped I would think animal control would want to know the name as well.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
uridiscence\";p=\"21699 said:
Both of mine have their name on their tags. I don't know that a stranger could get close enough to Guido to read his tag some days. I can understand why they would say that, but I also think it would be helpful if caught by animal control.

Besides already being micro-chipped I would think animal control would want to know the name as well.
They were suggesting just putting the owners contact information should the dog get lost.

I was just reading the story about Guido's rescue, he sounds wonderful!

·
Registered
292 Posts
Well I guess that would be fine. Just depends on your personal preference I suppose.

Thanks, I am really glad we got him. He's frustrating at times, but he's just so cute!

·
Registered
905 Posts
I've heard that before, that you should just put your own name and contact details.  I think it's a bit of a moot point, though - if someone steals your dog or finds it & decides to keep it, I don't think they're the kind of person who's going to say "Oh damn, they didn't give us the dog's name.  I suppose we better not take him after all".

·
Registered
236 Posts
Both of mine have their names and our telephone number embroidered on their collars.  The name and telephone number of our vet is on their license tags.   They both are also chipped.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Both of mine have their names, my telephone, and my city.. Didn't put my address incase they had bad ideas and wanted to come around later.. Toby never wears his.. Like Guido, they'd never get close enough.. Mia has hers on every waking moment.. Won't take the chance..

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
No stranger would ever get close enough to Lilly to take her.  She has my name and ph numbers on her tags and her vest.  She also has Service Dog embroidered on her collar and leash with my name and ph number.  On the inside of each I have printed on it that she is a sd and is protected by federal law ...see the ada of 1990.

Liz and Lilly

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Putting your name and phone number on the dog's tag cannot hurt and just may get your pet back if something should happen and you get separated.  It's true if someone is going to steal your dog, a name tag isn't going to do much good, but let's hope there are more good people out there that would do the right thing and return him/her.

·
Registered
186 Posts
both my dogs have my last name and phone number, its actually just on the back of their rabies tag. although they never wear collars b/c my mom had a dog get her's caught on a chain link fence and it choked her to death.  so no collar wearing here unless we go out on the leash, then we use a harness anyways, and i dont like keeping those on them all the time.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
My dogs are never without us or left unattended, not in the car, or even the yard.     We do not use tags on the collars because we hardly use collars - in the house, they are always bareneck.    When they are out and about, we have collars that have their names and phone numbers embroidered directly on the collar.  

Hanna never liked the jingling sound of a tag, hence why we get the collars embroidered.   Both my dogs are also microchipped.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I think that is a personal choice, both of mine do have their name printed, plus our address and phone #...It actually came in handy once years ago...Tia scaled the fence when I was walking Buck and in her quest to find us  :lol: , a neighbor corralled her and called the house, my ex had no idea that she had gotten out, but went to retreive her..Sneeky little girl....Besides, a lot of people are soo intimidated by their looks, they aren't going to get close enuf to see the name, but it could also come in handy.....

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
I have Jessies Name, our address and my cell phone number on it.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Fiona has three tags on her collar
Personal one is

Fiona
my phone number cell
my phone at home

Then the Rabies tag with info which is also my work number

Then her getmehome.com tag  

She jingles alot  :D

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
I have to get my girls tags, i keep forgetting everytime i go to the store!!, they have the rabies, and Reese has her AKC Companion Animal Recovery tag, once i get savannahs papers then i am enrolling her in CAR. Savannah is chipped but i dont have the tag for that so i need to see about getting a replacement-though i have to get her records first so i can transfer ownership!! Stupid lady we got savannah from.... i still have to get Reese chipped. She is going in on the 18 of Aug for that.

anywho-when i remember to get the name tags i will have my contact info and their names.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I haven't had one made for Kiah yet but she her rescue tag and lost pet tag on her collar.  Is anyone adding allergy info or stating no Ace to be used on them?

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all of the replies.  After reading them I agree that it is a personal preference to have the dogs name on the tag or not. I think I'll have her name, my phone number and city put on the tag.

Microchipping...I asked my vet about cost etc related to microchipping and they told me that they haven't done one in years and that its not as common in my province...I have read however, that it is a very good thing to do. I think I am going to do it anyway.

Summer- I am so sorry to hear about your Mom's dog.  :(

Kiahsmom- I also think allergy info is a great idea

·
Registered
627 Posts
I have their names, my address, my name, my boyfriend's name, my cell phone number, and then my boyfriend's cell phone number on my babies' tags.  Can't you tell I'm a little paranoid?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts