Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in knowing how many of you have a dog walker? Both Rob and I have Full time jobs and one of us normally comes home for lunch and walks Sadie and play a bit with her. It is getting difficult for us to come home for various reasons, we still do it..it's just hard for us to make it home (late back to work etc) and it's not for as long as we would like.  

Firstly, how did you find your dog walker...through an Ad? I don't know anyone who could do it, so I want to make sure I find someone who I can trust.

Also, what rates do you pay? I know most of you are in the US, but I think it would be somewhat comparable...

Any help is greatly appreciated!

:)

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I had one for Lucy when she was ill with Giardia. I used my pet sitter. She charged $16.50 per visit and she didn't even have to walk them, just let them out the back door.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I have a dog walker and I LOVE him! He runs it as a business and has a staff of walkers that rotate out houses. He charges $50/week and will walk them for 30 minutes a day, or let them play indoors for 30 minutes when the weather is inclement. Because one of my girls is unspayed (I show), my rules are bit different though. I don't want him walking them (if, heaven forbid one of them got away from them I'd be crushed), and I don't have them come in when my show bitch is in season (instead hubby and I take turns coming home over lunch to let them out ourselves).

I actually found him by happenstance. I had been looking for a dog walker and had used another in the past that didn't come sometimes (grrrr). I did a bit of searching on Google and found a news article printed in our city's newspaper about him and gave him a call. We interviewed him in person and let him meet the girls, the girls loved him and all of his references checked out so we hired him.

I do think that they *could* hold it all day while we're away at work, but we have a daughter at day care and our commutes are 40 minutes both ways, so there's always the chance to get stuck in stopped traffic so I can't count how many times I've been absolutely relieved that we have him.

Here's a link to his website so that you can see if you can find someone similar in your area: http://www.billthedogwalker.com/

(BTW - Going back to the dog walker that we had to fire for not coming, one trick we found to make sure that they come every day is to lock the cat in the dog room. . . If the cat is still locked in the dog room when we come home, it means they didn't come that day, but we've never had a problem with the dog walker we currently use -- the cat always greets us at the door when we get home! :) )

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, Bill the dogwalker seems to be somewhat of a celebrity! I would love it if I could find someone like that near me! I've checked online and there isn't much in my area. I am going to try to get the word out among friends and family that we are looking. And maybe as at the vet and our local organic pet food store to see if they have any ideas...

Not sure if we are going to get one or not, just sort of discussing it now and weighing the pros and cons.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Ok, I have a dog walker and today, I am glad I did.  She came over to take out the dogs and Kash had vomited and had the runs all over the house.  She called us right away saying he was not looking too good.  So we rushed home and took him to the vet.   He is ok, but was a bit scared this afternoon.  God only knows if we did not have someone to check on them during the day.  

I would be LOST without my dog walker.  We pay 125 per week for both dogs.   Its helped out out greatly since we both work, and they can get some exercise.  I highly recommend them.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
HannaBanana\";p=\"59773 said:
Ok, I have a dog walker and today, I am glad I did.  She came over to take out the dogs and Kash had vomited and had the runs all over the house.  She called us right away saying he was not looking too good.  So we rushed home and took him to the vet.   He is ok, but was a bit scared this afternoon.  God only knows if we did not have someone to check on them during the day.  

I would be LOST without my dog walker.  We pay 125 per week for both dogs.   Its helped out out greatly since we both work, and they can get some exercise.  I highly recommend them.
OMG Heather! I would have been so scared too. I'm so glad that Kash is okay. He must have gotten into something that gave him an upset tummy or something. Thank heavens that your dog walker was there to tend to him and let you guys know! Imagine how bad it would have been to come home to that  8O

We would be getting it for the extra exercise. We can come home, its just not for much longer than a potty break. Sadie is getting a lot bigger and she's got a lot more energy now to burn. So when we come home at lunch, it's not nearly enough time to tire her out. I just need to FIND some dog walkers in my area, to even see if it would be an option for us! We've really only started talking about this tonight though, so I'm sure we will have more luck with a bit of time.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Yeah I am glad she was there.  He is doing ok, sleeping I just picked him up from the hospital - thanks!!!

And def check out your local specialty pet store.  I found my dog walker from a referal from a store called the healthy animal.  Also vets may have referals too.  Make sure they are insured, have references as well as have back up shall something come up and they cannot make it.    I literally fired one girl last year because she got drunk the night before and never came over to walk Hanna.   :roll:

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Wow Heather, glad Kash is allright. Give that boy a big hug for me please.....

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Find a teenager, preferably a female.  Usually women love pets, and there more responsible.  Tell her if she takes them out to potty and walks them, total trip, you'll give her something like 40 bucks a week. 5 days a week, that's 2 1/2 hours, that's good pay to a student!

·
Registered
578 Posts
I'm thinking about getting  a dog walker too. Daycare is just too expensive but i'm also worried about having someone in my house and my boyfriend is completely paranoid.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Fortunately, my father and my in-laws are very good to us and come to take them out most days...but we do have a dog walker through a local service...it's just a commonly known place here in town. They charge $15 per 30 minutes, plus we tip about $5 per visit.  They take them out, fill their water, give them their afternoon kongs, let them play, etc.

During the summer, a neighborhood teenager came 4 days a week for them, which was great (and cheaper). I gave her $7 a day...she LOVED them and following in the "Brangelina" trend...she co-named Brady and Abby (Abigail) "Bradigail."  Very cute...the best was that her mother or grandmother came with her each day. This was comforting, because while she has 2 dogs of her own and is used to handling both, it was nice to have an adult with her in case something happened. A 14 year old would panic...so having the adult there was great.  Hopefully she will be interested for this coming summer as well!

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
JeepKuntry\";p=\"60709 said:
Find a teenager, preferably a female.
I don't know how it is in Tennessee, but here in Virginia, that would get you in trouble.  :)

I've actually had a couple people tell me the same thing you said.  I just feel kind of weird walking up to a neighbors house and saying, 'Hi, I've noticed your teenage daughter walking down the street and was wondering if she wanted to make some money on the side.'

·
Registered
610 Posts
dan.daugherty\";p=\"60772 said:
[quote="JeepKuntry\";p=\"60709":1civwxvz]Find a teenager, preferably a female.
I don't know how it is in Tennessee, but here in Virginia, that would get you in trouble.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Dan, if you ever walk Ringer does teenagers not approach him and want to pet him?  How is any different asking a teenager (or her parents) than asking somebody that is a dog walker by trade?  I guess I'm weird, just thinking that maybe some kid might wanna earn some spending money for the weekends.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Nope, they always cross the street because he looks like such a bad azz.  I usually get people wanting to pet him when I take him to places other than the neighborhood.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
hahaha funny thread. I would like a college student would do it cheaper if you can find a responsible one. I would do it if i had the time or was close by to someone that needed the help but then again im 24 not quite a teenager anymore. Im not so sure Age is as important as experience and responsibility. I know a lot of 10 year olds id trust Maverick with before id give him to some of the 30 year olds i know lol.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I brought it up at the Organic feed store and the girl there seemed really interested. We know her quite well now because we are always in there with Sadie. She said she probably wouldn't be able to do lunch hour because she works FT at the food store... :( But she said she would spread the word among friends and trusted clients! Sweet.....

Ps....no college or teenage neighbors LOL

1 - 18 of 18 Posts