Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recognize this a franchise. UGH. But I was very impressed when we visited yesterday, out side Wilmington NC. They use "electric collars" with an intensity of 1 to 100. Board/train for 2 weeks, $2,750. My wife and I realize what we do after board/train is critical and we accept that challenge.

We verbally committed and are supposed to bring Annabelle Monday. Besides "buyer anxiety" I now have a few concerns and am wavering. Oh, trainer is 2 hours from us.

Thoughts please

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
After all the horror stories that I've heard, I would never allow someone else to take my dog and "train" it, especially using shock collars. But that's just me!

·
Registered
236 Posts
I recognize this a franchise. UGH. But I was very impressed when we visited yesterday, out side Wilmington NC. They use "electric collars" with an intensity of 1 to 100. Board/train for 2 weeks, $2,750. My wife and I realize what we do after board/train is critical and we accept that challenge.

We verbally committed and are supposed to bring Annabelle Monday. Besides "buyer anxiety" I now have a few concerns and am wavering. Oh, trainer is 2 hours from us.

Thoughts please
Sounds like the person is using a mini educator. One of the best ecollars.
We use them without any problems. I think they are great in the right trainers hands.
Let me look around and see what I can find for trainers in your area.
What are her problems?

·
Super Moderator
7,011 Posts
Why are you sending your dog out to be trained? Why not put in the work and do it yourself? Also you will get better results with positive reinforcement than negative shock collar corrections.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Why are you sending your dog out to be trained? Why not put in the work and do it yourself? Also you will get better results with positive reinforcement than negative shock collar corrections.
It would depend on what problem the dog is having.
Positive reinforcement is one of many types of training and it will not fix all problems.
I have yet to see positive reinforcement solve aggression.

I should clarify a little bit.
I always assume someone is referring to purely positive training (treat based) in open forums when they are talking about positive reinforcement and that is what I was addressing.
99% of training is positive reinforcement. I just see it different then others. The positive reinforcement may be a "good boy", a rub on the head, maybe a treat... just depends. But there is also a correction for unwanted behavior. It could be a verbal correction, a leash pop or a tap from a e-collar. To me the are all just a way to correct the unwanted behavior.
If some one slaps a ecollar on the dog and only uses it for correction they are doing it wrong.. In the same light just because a trainer is using a ecollar it doesn't mean they are bad people..

Brian

·
Registered
236 Posts
And I have yet to see negative enforcement also fix aggression.
Whats your definition of negative enforcement?

To be fair, my typical definition of positive reinforcement (where the internet is involved) is: clicker and treat training.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Prong collars, E-Collars are what I mean by unnecessary negative enforcement.
It's ok for us to agree to disagree and I will keep this brief. My husband Brian and I get many dogs in for training with behaviors that were not able to be corrected with only positive reinforcement. We use what works best for each dog, and each dog is different.

Stacee.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update; by the next Monday we decided the Dog Wizard was not for us. Thinking it through we both realized this was about money and not our dog.

Here is the good news, we sent her to Top Dog for 3 weeks. Drake (owner/trainer); after spending abut 1/2 hour with her; described her "one whole lotta dog". After we picked her up, his next words were "one tough bitch"

Drake trains with positive reinforcement and more stubborn then the pooch. She been home a month and we wonder were our old dog is, she is that much better. We work with her every day, 3 4 times. Many good things but the one that makes us very happy, not more hole digging and come in when we call her.

PM me if you want to discuss.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Update; by the next Monday we decided the Dog Wizard was not for us. Thinking it through we both realized this was about money and not our dog.

Here is the good news, we sent her to Top Dog for 3 weeks. Drake (owner/trainer); after spending abut 1/2 hour with her; described her "one whole lotta dog". After we picked her up, his next words were "one tough bitch"

Drake trains with positive reinforcement and more stubborn then the pooch. She been home a month and we wonder were our old dog is, she is that much better. We work with her every day, 3 4 times. Many good things but the one that makes us very happy, not more hole digging and come in when we call her.

PM me if you want to discuss.
Glad you were able to find someone to help you through your dogs problems. The trainer/s look to be balanced/permission based which IMHO is a good thing.

The biggest part from here is to continue working with her (which looks like your doing :cheers:).

Keep up the good work!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts