Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought doggie daycare would be a good idea in the winter months so I brought my puppy to an "evaluation day" at a local non-chain training/daycare place.  Well they showed me the "daycare" and I was horrified.  It basically consisted of a room with about 30 crates and every one of them filled with barking dogs, going berzerk wishing they could go out.  This is at 2:00pm on a Tuesday.  They assured me that they rotate the dogs out.  I saw one person working in the back and he was tending to a tub, which apparently people pay them extra to give their dogs a bath.  Theres one caged area outside that had 2 menacing looking dogs out there (mind you, it's 30 degrees out there today) and then another similiar caged area inside that had 2 dobermans and a pitbull.  I'm pretty sure these must be the dogs too wild for them to control.  I couldn't get out of there fast enough.  My last image was an adult flashy fawn boxer in a plastic crate barking at me like "take me with you!"

Is this what doggie daycare is supposed to be?  I could lock my dog in a crate all day for free.  What a scam.  I'm absolutely horrified.  Oggie is getting hot dogs for dinner tonight.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Wow that sounded rough!!  I dont blame you I would be looking for another place.  I know the one here where I live is not like that at all!

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
I have never had to dela with a doggie daycare before, but i dont think that is something i would do. As you stated you could kennel your dog for free. Heather posted a link on for the doggie daycare she takes kash to and it didnt look that way at all.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I might actually take him to that one Heather talked about it.  It's not down the street....but it's not that far either.  I am with him almost 24/7, he just needs a few times a month.   A daycare with a webcam sounds like my kind of place!  I could tell these people didn't even really want to give me a tour.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Sounds more like a kennel than a doggie daycare to me! Where is the socialization in that?  8O

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Ditto what Jessica said...After seeing that, why would you leave your dog? Daycare is supposed to be social time, what is up with that? I would have kidnapped the Boxer, by theway  :lol:

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
tootsie\";p=\"59699 said:
Sounds more like a kennel than a doggie daycare to me! Where is the socialization in that?  8O
Exactly.  I felt like I was at one of those dog pounds where you are like "I feel so awful for these dogs, I can't leave without one."

BurningRiver\";p=\"59708 said:
What dumbfounds me even more is all of the people who saw what you saw and still decided to leave their dogs there!
Absolutely.  Surely anyone who saw behind the closed doors wouldn't leave their dog there.  Meanwhile, people were trotting their dogs in and out of this place like they were bringing their kids to Chuck E Cheese.  I want to believe they just never bothered to ask for a tour.  I am not sure what to believe.

I won't sleep well tonight just knowing places like this exist.  To whoever owns that boxer stuck in there...shame on you.  I'm home all day, drop him off here.....for free!

What kills me is the staff tried to tell me they rotate the dogs in and out so often that they spend almost no time in the cages.   On a weekday afternoon when 95% of the dogs are in crates with only 1 staff member even tending to them....it's an obvious, blatlant lie.  

It also kills me this place is the only one around I've found that sells only the healthy human-grade kibbles that everyone on this board loves.  I buy all my stuff there, from Merrick to Canidae to Timberwolf.  Now I am really, really torn.  Shame on them.  I should call and ask for the owner.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
It may not help, but yea, I'd want to at least give the owner your thoughts

·
Registered
202 Posts
wow that sounds horrible! I cant believe someone would send their dogs to that place!

My doggie day care is out at my farm, my trainer watches her clients dogs. There are only about 6 dogs out there at a time, and when she can not tend to them they are put in a huge 12ft  by 24ft horse stall (2 horse stalls with the divider taken out). She has a couch, beds, water, and lots of toys to play with. She also has a dog park down past one of the horse paddocks where they go out and play. They are taken out and played with multiple times a day, and generally when it gets colder at night she takes them upstairs with her were it is warmer... even though the horses keep the barn around a good 50 or 55 degrees.

That place just doesn't sound right... I do know of a place over here that is a professional doggie day care center... Whenever I drive past all I see are about 40-50 dogs just running around a play area outside with barely enough room to move.....

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Oh I have been to like 10 in the South Eastern Mass region.  They are all different and you literally have to feel really good about where you leave your dog.  I am not too keen on ones that have teenagers watching the dogs.  Someone will say, well they are dogs but what happens if there is an altercation??  A dog choking??  I like to know that certified professionals are running the joint.   At South Paws I have a great relation with Karen and Tim.   They care about the dogs, are CPR and first aid certified.  There is also a vet right down the street.   I also like to see a good dog to attendant ratio, not just a place that packs the dogs in to make a buck.   Also one that is clean, as well as the dogs attending possess good hygiene.   I know it sounds snotty, but an ungroomed dirty dog says alot about who is romping around with your dogs.   Its a breeding place for bacteria and virus, and needs to be a clean environment to cut down sickness.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I don't think it's snotty at all Heather, I am just amazed that people ar eleaving their dogs at this place all day..Why bother? you can crate them at home if that's all you want...I agree the dog to person ratio needs to be very well balanced and teeneagers are not what I would want watching my babies....Sounds like you have an awesome place for Kash..It was fun watching the video feed  :)

·
Registered
482 Posts
I work at a doggy daycare and it's NOTHING like that.  The only reason a dog is crated is if they are being displined for unfavorable behavior.  Our daycare is basically a pack, there's 20-30 dogs hanging out and playing and having fun.  It's great I love to bring Baz with me when I work!  Keep looking for a cool place to bring your pup!

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Sounds like a terrible place, I would report them.  Can't believe someone would leave their dog there.

The daycare i go to had me come in before I brought Kiah to fill out the paperwork, give me a tour and explained how Kiah would spend the day.  On the first day, they give you a report card (Kiah got an excellent), if the dog fails or is aggressive they will not allow them back until they have had training and/or socialization.  My trainer works there and helps evaluate the dogs and introduce them to the others so I feel good about taking her there.  They do have a rest period in the middle of the day, they found it helped attitudes and the dogs didn't get over tired.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good news, I found another daycare place even closer to my house and they only have a few dogs, and they have a huge room for them to play in.  As well as an outdoor area.  It's like a giant warehouse room, but it's made dog safe with rubber flooring and everything.  And the owner has 3 boxers!  Theres also another white boxer in the playgroup.  I watched Oggie through the 1-way window and he had a blast.  I told them about the other place and they knew all about it and agreed with me it's inhumane.  I should report them...who do I report them to?

·
Registered
29 Posts
did anyone ever catch that series on cable tv, it was only about 6-8 episodes if that "Adventures in Doggy Day Care" that was filmed at the Downtown Doggie Lounge in NY? Those people seem to have it together. It was too cute. I recently saw some of the repeats, so if you didnt get to see it, look for it. its too cute. They seem to really love their clients & their owners too!! They even went on a owner/dog camping trip with some of the staff!! I'd love to run a place like that! I guess I will keep buying my powerball tickets, thats the only way I could quit my job & open a place like that!! Everyone keep your fingers, toes & paws crossed!! LOL :lol:

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
[quote="samsonsmom\";p=\"59718":2fiegzmk]Ditto what Jessica said...After seeing that, why would you leave your dog? Daycare is supposed to be social time, what is up with that? I would have kidnapped the Boxer, by theway

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Wo Hoo, that is great news! Oggie has a place to go romp for a bit...And it does sound like a great place....As far as reporting the other place, start with Better Business Bureau. Maybe the state board that is in charge of licenses, even the health dept...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts