Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my husband works from home and on rare occasion has to go out of town for work for a few days. Once or twice a year. He just found out last week that he has to go next Monday through Wednesday and again sometime in late August.

I'm not a huge fan of doggy daycare but we really don't have another option. Talos does not do well in his crate (unless it's bedtime) nor do I feel its the right thing to leave him crated for 9 hours of the day. We may be in the clear next week since my son is out of school but the August trip he'll have to go :(

That being said we visited the two places closest to our house and my work. Let me just say... night and day difference. The first was run out of an old house filled with kennels, window a/c units and ceiling fans. The dogs are kept outside all day with a few places covered for shade or protection from the rain. It was almost 90 degrees and those dogs looked miserable. So I asked what they do if it storms. The answer "We wait until the last possible minute and we will then take them inside and double them up in kennels etc until the storm passes." Everything about this place said run! I don't know how it's legal. What do you do in the winter!!!!

So off to doggy daycare #2 a much nicer facility with indoor/outdoor access for the animals. Air conditioning, heating, they also do training classes at their facility etc. Makes me feel a little better but not great.

Anyone else use a doggy daycare or have in the past? Tell me what your experience was like.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
We also have a cairn terrier who is an alpha female. Bought her I'm sure from a backyard breeder who didn't handle or socialize her. (implies buy..long story). Anyway I was determined to make her more sociable so we took her to doggie daycare a few times a week for her first year. She also went to training there. It was good for her though she still processes her alpha personality and is not a dog who will roll over for belly rubs, she likes them but she has to stand for them. LOL She is a good dog just not a lovable dog. Anyway the one we went too was a franchise called camp bow wow. They were good but I'm sure each one is dependent on who they hire. The one here was great. We never took the boxer though just didn't have the need at the time. The first one you mentioned definitely isn't one I'd go too either.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We also have a cairn terrier who is an alpha female. Bought her I'm sure from a backyard breeder who didn't handle or socialize her. (implies buy..long story). Anyway I was determined to make her more sociable so we took her to doggie daycare a few times a week for her first year. She also went to training there. It was good for her though she still processes her alpha personality and is not a dog who will roll over for belly rubs, she likes them but she has to stand for them. LOL She is a good dog just not a lovable dog. Anyway the one we went too was a franchise called camp bow wow. They were good but I'm sure each one is dependent on who they hire. The one here was great. We never took the boxer though just didn't have the need at the time. The first one you mentioned definitely isn't one I'd go too either.
Camp Bow Wow is exactly where we are looking at. If you don't mind my asking, where are you from?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was hoping you'd say Pittsburgh. Would have been awesome to meet another boxer owner who is local.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Jake goes occasionally when we go out of town. Before we boarded him overnight we had him spend a few afternoons there.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, he went for his visit Saturday and I sat in my car having a full blown panic attack. I checked the live feed 100x that day. He followed the worker around and around ALL DAY.

So yesterday dad dropped him off and my daughter picked him up. He didn't fight going but he didn't want to leave. When I checked the monitors yesterday I felt much better. I saw him playing with another dog and looking to be enjoying himself. I felt so much better.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Good news! My terrier did enjoy too and then she slept once home. LOL She was worn out. We have a really good cam bow wow locally. I think its a good option for those who work and need daycare for their pups and a good place to board too as the dog knows the routine and its not upsetting to them. Glad it is working out.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks! He won't be going very often but it's nice to know that he's enjoying it. So if he goes on occasion to socialize, or if my husband has to be out of town I don't have to feel so worried.

The surprising thing is that he still had energy when he came home!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts