Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had to share this little tid-bit.

I check the forum while bored at work and one of my co-workers saw me responding to a post. They asked what kind of dog i had and i told this co-worker that i owned two boxers. The first thing this co-worker said was "oh god i hate boxers, they are way to hyper". I was like "EXCUSE ME??"   :?  (why would you tell someone that??) So i then brush it off- not going to let it bother me for my motto with dogs is 'to each his own'. So then this co-worker tells me that he has 4 pit bulls and they are way better than boxers and not as hyper. Now i have nothing against the breed myself (even though i had one try to bite my daughter when she was a baby-that is another story though and a long one). I then told my co-worker my motto about animals but he wouldnt let it alone!!  :aua: he just kept on going on about how much better his breed was better than my breed-like we were competing or something. Why do people feel the need to push a subject not worth pushing? i almost feel like he was trying to get some sort of reaction out of me.  :roll: if he did he was mistaken cause it wont/didnt happen!!

Sorry this turned into a wee bit more than a "little" tid bit, but i just dont understand people sometimes!!

·
Registered
159 Posts
every dog, no matter what the breed is only as good as it's owner. I love pit bulls, but I may or may not ever have one because all my wife has ever seen is the media raping the truth about them. they're great dogs. but to say any breed is better that another is assinine. all dogs are good at heart. maybe your co-worker has a masculinity issue and has to have a powerful animal around to make himself feel better. kinda like the idiots with the jacked up 4x4s who obviously need a large vehicle to make up for certain anatomic inadequecies (I hope I spelled that right!!) maybe that'll give you a little laugh next time you talk to that guy!!

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Everyone tends to have a pref. of what kind of dog they like.  And everyone is able to do that....So, why even discuss it with someone in a negative manner.

That situation would be like going up to a co-worker and saying : Oh I see you dyed you hair blonde....man I hate blondes....

Why do that??

It is odd what people will do for attention and that is what this sounds like.  Some people thrive on arguing about stuff....So, good for you  :clap:  that you did not let him win on that point by even going into with him.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I have heard some people getting into a conversation of that sort and it just doesnt get anyone anywhere. I would have taken offense to it if someone said something like that to me as well. People with no sense at all is like your co-worker. He probably dont even have control over his dogs if anything, they probably control him. I bet your boxers are cuter!  :D

·
Registered
627 Posts
That's horrible.  Everyone has their own preference as to what breed they like, but you don't tell someone else the breed they like/own sucks!!!  I probably would have cursed him off...co-worker or not.

·
Registered
270 Posts
People are amazing...arent they?!  That happened to me when I was pregnant....ok off the topic a bit...but a point to be proven....I had a fellow teacher just bash me bc I was eating extremely healthy and exercising daily when I was pregnant.  I don't know....maybe it makes them feel better?!  So sorry you have to deal with that! People can be pretty darn self-centered and just plain mean....huh?! I LOVE my boxer!  I am a first time boxer owner...I really can't wait to get another!!  Good luck!

·
Registered
905 Posts
To some people, everything in life is a p*ssing contest.  All you can do with people like that is laugh at how empty their life must be if they have to turn everything in it into a competition.

Emmet and I used to be friends with a couple like that.  When we got our little snake, they went out and got a Burmese Python (which will grow to about 22 feet and need two people just to handle it).  When we said that we were getting a Boxer, they ran and got TWO in the 7 week gap while we were waiting to collect Tink.  We just mentioned in passing one day that we were thinking of getting a new telly, and within a week they had a ridiculously huge new LCD TV that they had to finance because they couldn't even afford it outright.  Emmet used to say that if I announced I was pregnant, she'd be pregnant (with twins!) within a month.

We just stopped spending time with them.  I have no interest whatsoever in competing over stupid things like that.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
This reminds me of when I was standing at the vet's counter waiting to pick up Buster from his neuter. A woman walked in and just started chit chatting, she asked what kind of dog I had. I said "a boxer". She said, "oh I don't like them, they don't live long." I was so shocked. 8O  I just replied, "whatever." Who says something like that?  :evil: I don't like certain breeds, but I would never tell somebody that "Oh I don't like them."
Everytime I was outside with Buster and my neighbor came out, he would say "what an ugly dog."  Excuse me.....that's like telling me my kid is ugly. People are just so insensitive and stupid sometimes! I've really started feeling sorry for people that don't "get" boxers, they are the ones missing out on this wonderful breed!  :winkle:

·
Registered
381 Posts
Ya I had a co-worker do the exact same thing, and he had a pit bull too, go figure.  He was talking to me like he's got the baddest (toughest) dog on the planet and I have a dog that looks tough but couldn't take even the most inbred puppy mill pit bull.  His dog is never let out of the house/back yard and in his words would tear up any stranger that comes into his house or yard.  I just gave him some crap about how his reasons for owning a dog are pretty assinine but to each their own.

Then I wrote it off to his poor people skills :)

P.S.  he paid like $3,000 for his pit from some "famous" breeder in Texas.  Gary Hammond??  Something like that.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Honeyec\";p=\"14914 said:
To some people, everything in life is a p*ssing contest.  All you can do with people like that is laugh at how empty their life must be if they have to turn everything in it into a competition.

Emmet and I used to be friends with a couple like that.  When we got our little snake, they went out and got a Burmese Python (which will grow to about 22 feet and need two people just to handle it).  When we said that we were getting a Boxer, they ran and got TWO in the 7 week gap while we were waiting to collect Tink.  We just mentioned in passing one day that we were thinking of getting a new telly, and within a week they had a ridiculously huge new LCD TV that they had to finance because they couldn't even afford it outright.  Emmet used to say that if I announced I was pregnant, she'd be pregnant (with twins!) within a month.

We just stopped spending time with them.  I have no interest whatsoever in competing over stupid things like that.

People like that amaze me.  Actually my husband's family is like that. My MIL bought a mustang a while ago, and then 2 of my husband's aunts went out and bought the exact same car. That drives me crazy!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I guess it goes to show that there are idiots everywhere, but I think what Puppysmasher kinda sums it up, sadly....It's a "manly" thing supposdly, altho my ex NEVER had a problem telling peple that he owned 2 boxers and he had previously owned a Pitt...To make a comment that a certain breed doesn't live long, well that's just showing a lack of tact...Even if I personally met someone that had a breed I really didn't care for I would never make a comment like that, or any others fot that matter...The girl that used to do my nails got a Beagle puppy, well I really do not like Beagles at all..Did I say anything? Nope. I asked how the pup was doing, looked at pics, talked about silly puppy things...If you can't say something nice, don't say nothin, that's my motto.... :)

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
My sister took her golden retriever to obedience class and the trainer told her that golden's weren't too bright and hard to train.  Ouch!  They found a different trainer.  Just don't understand some people.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
This reminds me of a story from the weekend.  The house across the street from us has been sold, my bf ended up meeting the family that bought it and the first thing the mother said was "Is your dog going to eat my kid?"  Yes, every night we go around the neighborhood and find a little child for Lola to feast on!  I guess she thought Lola was a pitbull.  Some people are just better off not talking!  I'm starting to think the rest of the neighborhood thinks she's a pitbull too because our other neighbors across the street....everytime Lola is outside the mother grabs her kids!  The only thing Lola would do is lick them to death!  Glad we have somewhere to vent about these annoying people!  :lol:

·
Registered
521 Posts
Chloesmom, I can't believe someone would actualyl SAY THAT to you after KNOWING you have a boxer!  Idiots!  way to make generalizations.

Hearing these stories simply reminds me of how completely ignorant people are.  We haven't had any major run-ins with people like this yet, but as Morgan will tell you, I'm a confrontational person if you make an ignorant comment.  

I have had people come over to my house who tell me they "hate cats."  they tend to not like my responses to that :)

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
whenever someone tells me they have a dog, regardless of breed, I'm just going to scream 'OMG you're dog's going to die eventually!!'

that'll even the score!

:twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
[quote="Honeyec\";p=\"14960":11m4tk58]Ha ha, I do hate cats!

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
OK...So I guess I have another confession to make...

I am, like beckhamsmom, a confrontational woman.  I am also a TOTAL smarta**!!!  When someone says something like ("I don't like boxer's because...") that to me, I generally say, "I don't like stupid/insensitive people, but that doesn't mean I'm going to walk up to YOU or your significant other and tell YOU/THEM that!"  and walk away!!!  But thats just me...  It's not me being overly "sensitive".  It's me throwing their crap back in their face.  When I do/say stuff like that I say it really loud (I'm loud anyways as I can't hear my own voice [heance the hearing impairment]) so that everyone within earshot can hear it and get a good chuckle.

I guess I make it a point to make an example of people exhibiting bad behavior/tact.  

Don't worry...people have done the same thing to me.

Liz and Lilly

·
Registered
126 Posts
yes they are ingorant people out there and i have had nothing yet but praise and what a beutiful baby ours is and she so adorable and pits are good it all depends on the owners and all. i think all doggies are cute no matter waht they look like. :D  :D  :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts