Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i guess sumya decided i would share my morning coffee with her. i had it on the kitchen table and she actually used the chair to get up on the table and help herself to my coffee! luckily it was not hot. what i am wondering is should i be worried?( i don't think she got too much of it but i am not sure.) i do not know how dangerous caffeine is to dogs.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I don't think there will be a problem, we used to have a hound mix that used to sneak over a drink Lori's coffee when she was working in the garden. He was wound for sound already so we never noticed a difference. HEHE

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
First off, it doesn't look like Sumya got into enough to be a problem, so I wouldn't be concerned.

Secondly, maybe Sharon could correct me if I am wrong but I have a hard time believing the last part about there being no antidote.  Though the statement is technically true, that leads me to believe that the conditions created by caffeine can't be controlled thus your pet will die.  All the side effects of the caffeine can be controlled with a sedative in humans easily (here is where I need Sharon's input).  Is it not possible to give the animal some valium to keep the heart/respiratory rates down, stop the tremors and ease the fits and excitement?

Technical speak.. read at your own risk:
If the problem truly is over activation of the sympathetic nervous system (fight or flight) as the symptoms imply then there are plenty of ways of blocking the SNS or activating the parasympathetic nervous system.  It certainly needs to be caught somewhat early but it has to be possible to save your pet if he/she gets into the caffeine.  To imply that it isn't, as the article states, IMO is just wrong.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
but by them saying there isn't an antidote they are true....an antidote would be something to counteract the poision itself and directly bind to it causing it to be come "inactivated".
There is treatment that can be followed after a poisoning to help with the effects (ie - increased heart rate, tremors, increased breathing rate...) the poison is having on the animal.

(also this information was from an article written in 1994...so it could be outdated)

·
Registered
893 Posts
Delila also got into my coffee one morning, no side effect. But it was so cute she had coffee breath all morning.

·
Registered
34 Posts
:roll: Ky drinks expresso every morning and EVERY morning Isis gets into it, no matter where she puts the cup. it is never more than a few licks and she has always been fine.

hope sumya feels ok besides the extra energy and gross coffee breath 8O

·
Banned
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dad_2_Isis_n_Onyx\";p=\"73220 said:
:roll: Ky drinks expresso every morning and EVERY morning Isis gets into it, no matter where she puts the cup. it is never more than a few licks and she has always been fine.

hope sumya feels ok besides the extra energy and gross coffee breath 8O
she is actually sleeping now, so i do think she'll be fine.actually,the coffee breath is a nice change to what it usually smells like! :lol:

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Well it is true that there is no antidote for caffeine, just as there is not one for chocolate or antifreeze poison.  But yes there are treatments that are given to contain and control the situation so it is not as simple as your dog gets it your dog dies. Every animal has varying levels of sensitivity to theobromine.

The key here is always the amount, with the exception of antifreeze because it takes only a small amount to make them sick.  If your dog has a few sips of your coffee or even drinks half a mug will all be okay....yeah probably so and there is not enough caffeine in it to make them get a coffee buzz, maybe a little soft stool if you use milk or cream.  Now if your dog knocks over the bag and eats half of the ground stuff or the beans or knocks over a 2 liter bottle and downs it all....well that is another story.

The general treatments:

If your pet has just ate enough that you are worried about it then induce vomiting with hydrogen peroxide.  If they dont vomit within 15 minutes, give it again. If that does not work then head to your vet....

There are many medications that are considered supportive treatments (not termed as antidote) and that is......Activated charcoal may be administered every 3-4 hours to reduce the serum in the system, Fluids to help flush any toxic waste in the system, oxygen if needed for rapid breathing, monitor of heart rate, and then there are medications that treat a slow, a fast, or  an irregular heart beat, depending on the situation.

You mentioned valium and Insulin is actually the most beneficial treatment for caffeine poisoning....insulin has been shown to be antagonistic to caffeine.

Hope that helps and answers the question!!!!

·
Registered
780 Posts
Our Ziggi is addicted to coffee.  He can't wait until I am done with my cup so he can lick it out.  He will actually hit me with his paw if I am not drinking it fast enough.  He doesn't like plain coffee, he likes it with the flavored creamer in it!  8O  :D    He only gets the little amount that is left in the mug but he would lick the glaze off the cup if I let him!

·
Registered
882 Posts
Gaby has stole a few sips out of my cup the odd time and she has been fine...I wouldn't worry to much if it was only a few sips

·
Registered
263 Posts
Yeah my hubby was outside the other day and set his mug down on the picnic table.  It was but half full and he kinda forgot about it but Samson got up on the picnic table and drank the rest.  He didn't ever seem to have any effects.

·
Banned
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
lol yeah! thanks for asking, i was like seriously? coffee? i just have a hard time believing she was having trouble getting going  in the morning!  :lol:

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Lol Rebecca, better start watching your coffee from now on  :lol: Glad she's ok..Mine have no interest in coffee or my tea, but Angel sure does like to try and get into Marq's beer  8O Have to keep my eye on her about that...Buck used to enjoy a sip of Ketel one Vodka, expensive taste that one had

1 - 16 of 16 Posts