Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering how many people here let their boxers get on the couch. . .bed. . . any furniture??

We used to let Savannah sleep with us, but once we got Reese we stopped. It is really hard to fit 2 boxers, myself and my bf in a queen bed!! My BF and I argue over if we should let them on the couch or not. I dont feel they should be on it, at least not until Reese is fully housetrained. She wont pee on the couch, but she keeps going in her kennel at night (just started doing if for some reason) and so we are constantly bathing her to make sure she doesnt have pee on her. I am kind of a germ-a-phobe and just the idea of pee on her feet and her on the couch wierds me out. He feels though that they should be allowed on the couch if they want.

Sorry to get off on a tangent with the whole Reese pees in her kennel now thing!!

·
Registered
905 Posts
Tink and Hector are both more than welcome on the couch - I love curling up with them!  They don't sleep with us, though.

And if it makes you feel any better, urine is sterile, so Reese won't be germing up your couch if she does have any little random drops clinging on!

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
We let Lola on the couch and bed sometimes.  But she knows that she can only go on it when we're on it and she has to be invited up.  She's been very good about it and never goes on either one on her own.  I usually lay her blanket on the couch so she's laying on that.  I too have that thought "what if she stepped in her poop today and now she's laying on my couch?"!!

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I'm only allowed on the couch and bed....sometimes!  :bigrazz:  Maddie is queen of this house, she pretty much goes wherever she wants. The only thing that gets to me sometimes is when I'm sleeping and wake up to the feet in my face. Ahhh....but gotta love the frito feet smell!  :signeek: My husband works out of town and is gone Mon-Thurs nights, so when he is home he doesn't like her in the bed (she is a bed hog) so she sleeps in her bed on the floor.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
What's mine is the dogs...They are allowed on the couches and bed...Samson very seldom sleeps with us anymore tho, it's starting to get hard for him to jump up..Marq has to make him some steps...Angel always starts off sleeping with us, but usually sometime in the nite if she's gotten tired of being kicked(lol), she goes out on the couch also...I have fabric couches, so I just keep them covered with sheets, which I wash every week. I call it "washing the babies linens"  :)

·
Registered
627 Posts
Roxy is allowed on my bed and sleeps with me every night...Astro still sleeps in his crate.  Mine never go on the couch...it's not that they're not allowed, they just don't do it.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Kiah is allowed on the bed (but she always waits until I give her permission to come up) and she sleeps with me but she is not allowed on the couches. I only had to tell her once not to get on the couch so i believe that she wasn't allowed in her previous home. I have a large pillow that we put on the floor and we snuggle on that together when we are watching TV; its really comfortable.  We also have our cover blankie that we use on those chilly nights.  She loves to snuggle in there.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Voltaire isn't even allowed in the bedrooms - let alone the beds! Not letting your dog in the bedroom is supposed to help with teaching them hierachy - and he's such a snorer i wouldn't sleep a wink anyway :lol:
Hubby has also said "no" to Voltaire on the sofa unless it's on his lap - that doesn't count apparently :roll: . But Voltaire keeps climbing over him to get on the sofa properly and my husband keeps saying: " i bet you let him climb on the sofa when i'm not here". I say "no, of course not!" - which is a blatant lie! As soon as hubbies not about we have cuddles on the sofa :D
p.s. The covers are brown and washable which is about as practical as you can get - still worried he might puncture holes in it with those claws though :?

·
Registered
20 Posts
We let Royce on the Couch and in the bed... during the day we put up the baby gate and he is limited to the kitchen, dinning room and our bedroom. we tried closing the bedroom door when he was a really little and put he's bed in the kitchen but he would always pee on it... Royce has never had an accident in our room though.
The only thing that's starting to bug me is the fact that he's a bed hog!! and i'm not sure how to break the habit of him in the bed at night?

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
soph\";p=\"15593 said:
The only thing that's starting to bug me is the fact that he's a bed hog!! and i'm not sure how to break the habit of him in the bed at night?
Do you not mind him in the bed, but want him to stay at the end of it so everyone can sleep comfortably?  
If that's the case then our trainer told us to let Lola on the bed when we are changing, watching tv, putting our shoes on, etc.  But have her at the end of the bed and tell her "down" and "stay".  That way she'll get use to that and think that is her "spot".  We haven't tried it yet because she only sleeps in the bed maybe once a month or so.  Good luck!  I'd be interested in knowing if that works for you or not!

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Annette- My bf does the same thing with the if she sits on my lap then she isnt on the sofa.!! that is his way of getting away with them being on the sofa. I may just by a couch cover and let them up and then wash it weekly like willow does. though i still think i will wait til reese is a little older.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Even if we push him to the end of the bed he still takes to much space!! Idon't mind him in the bed when were not sleeping, but at bed time i would rather him in his own bed.... although it's difficult cause if my Bf goes to bed after me i like to cuddle w/Royce...

·
Registered
977 Posts
Well Chloes Mom - I think husbands have a set of rules for themselves and a different set for us!!!!
I'm glad about the not letting him in my bed thing though - he farts awful too :sick:
Voltaire, not my husband.......but then again 8O

1 - 20 of 31 Posts