Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

We have a 10 month old Boston and a 2 month old Boxer. They treat eachother fairly well and the play does not seem to get mean, but it is constant. Our Boston has made it her lifes work to badger and play with our new puppy. If we finnaly get to the breaking point the dogs they will stop for about 5 seconds and they are right back to it. Does anyone have tips for this type of situation?? Is this just a phase? Really the only thing that works is separation, but I hate to have to do that because they seem to make up for it when they are back together! LOL

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Advice from a pro dog trainer:

Boston's are very much like Boxer's in that they are VERY playful and "enthusiastic" in their play.  If you don't want them to play so hard ALL THE TIME, then you should seperate them as that is likely to be the only way to get them to stop.  Much like you said, when you do seperate them, they are likely to make up for it when they are put back together.  If I were you, I would let them revel in the fun and play until they are worn out (your Boston may be the best playmate [aside form another Boxer] to help you wear your Boxer pup out) and watch and wait.

It may be a phase.  It may not be a phase.  I suggest you puppy/dog play proof your house and get in on the fun.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,

Yeah I cannot believe how similar they are, they even use their paws the same way. I have to say that our boxer truly amazes me with how athletic and tough he is for such a young age. Like I mentioned prior, it does not get mean, but they do go off! Our Boston (paige) is only 25 pounds, but all 25 are rock solid muscle and Ulrich (Boxer) is only 14 pounds and keeps up pretty well. It has totally surprised me, keep in mind that my Boston is the type of dog who will go to the dog park and find a great dane or doberman to play with.

I guess we will just keep doing the same thing and see how it shakes out. Thank you..

·
Registered
405 Posts
Beat them a their own game!!! We have a boxer and a cocker and they just LOVE to play. You have to just let them get that energy out. When they are too riled up, you just can't get them to stop, so as Liz said, let them revel in it, they will wear themselves out! Pay attention to times of the day that they get  crazy and just plan to allow them that time...ours are always crazy around dinner time, so I know around dinner time, I need to do something to help them get rid of some energy, be it a 2 mile walk, a rough housing session in one of the spare bedrooms which we allow them to just go crazy in, or a long game of frisbee or catch in the backyard.  We had a much more difficult time before we got our electric fence. Before, both were on leashes, and I could not let them get crazy for fear of tangling and getting hurt. Not, we just let them go nuts out there, they LOVE when I pull out their collars, they know it's playtime.
How long ago did you get the boxer? I know when our cocker first joined our home, the first few weeks were crazy, they were just so excited, it was non-stop playtime. with sessions lasting a couple of hours. It has cooled some, but there are still quite a few crazy sessions a day. But it we just let them go nuts, they only last maybe 10-15 minutes. Then both are ready nap. If we keep trying to calm them down, then it could go on for hours, just because they can't get that energy out them.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
[quote="AbbyandBrady\";p=\"45034":y3d6r2y5]Beat them a their own game!!! We have a boxer and a cocker and they just LOVE to play. You have to just let them get that energy out. When they are too riled up, you just can't get them to stop, so as Liz said, let them revel in it, they will wear themselves out! Pay attention to times of the day that they get

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Keep in mind that your boxer is only a puppy as well, they live to play..As he gets older that will change, a little... :lol:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts