Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

Dog's constantly playing!! Need help!!

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  samsonsmom 
Beat them a their own game!!! We have a boxer and a cocker and they just LOVE to play. You have to just let them get that energy out. When they are too riled up, you just can't get them to stop, so as Liz said, let them revel in it, they will wear themselves out! Pay attention to times of the day that they get  crazy and just plan to allow them that time...ours are always crazy around dinner time, so I know around dinner time, I need to do something to help them get rid of some energy, be it a 2 mile walk, a rough housing session in one of the spare bedrooms which we allow them to just go crazy in, or a long game of frisbee or catch in the backyard.  We had a much more difficult time before we got our electric fence. Before, both were on leashes, and I could not let them get crazy for fear of tangling and getting hurt. Not, we just let them go nuts out there, they LOVE when I pull out their collars, they know it's playtime.
How long ago did you get the boxer? I know when our cocker first joined our home, the first few weeks were crazy, they were just so excited, it was non-stop playtime. with sessions lasting a couple of hours. It has cooled some, but there are still quite a few crazy sessions a day. But it we just let them go nuts, they only last maybe 10-15 minutes. Then both are ready nap. If we keep trying to calm them down, then it could go on for hours, just because they can't get that energy out them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.