Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well things had been going well we bought crates for Brutus and Lexi and they were getting comfortable with them, we did not create them when we were at work however only for short amounts of time when we left the house maybe 2 or 3hours most they hadn't had a serious fight for about 2 months and this Saturday we had a trainer that was going to come to the house and work with us. Brutus had become more protective and unwelcoming of strangers he snapped at the neighbor when he was in the front yard before a walk but this is after my wife had told him to not touch the dog and he put his hand closer and closer to the dog and then Brutus grabbed onto his finger. Never growled at him before was very quiet at my wife's side until the neighbor reached his and towards the dog to pet him, really just a nick the wife told the dog back and he sat back down didn't growl at him or bark at him anything like that still quiet but alert. Then Tuesday morning the wife calls me hysterical she's on her way home she can see from the cameras that they killed the cat he Brutus brought her in to the living room and left her on his bed. We were not able to see which one of them killed her they both had cuts and scratches on their face but Brutus can be seen on the camera bringing her into the house like it was his prize. On the drive home while I was on the phone with my wife she says he's got to go she can't get over seeing him bring the cat into the house. I know we are partially to blame their prey dogs that's what they naturally do. Lexi has been the one obsessive over birds and the dog next door, she's the one who got the bird and gave it to Brutus who then brought it into the house and ate. Both rescues lexi had a home previously that we know a little about but Brutus came off the street emaciated and didn't know anything about him.
I told my wife it's her decision to make, and she loves him to death he's a lover, calm, easy-going, snuggle bug with us.
I'm lost and have mixed emotions. Any help, ideas, previous experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
Tucker is 11 and has always had higher than high prey drive. I've lost count of the critters he has killed and he has never even thought about hurting a human. Below is from an old post of mine.

I've been able to teach him to listen to me but in no way have I reduced his prey drive. I don't think I ever will.

I've decided that it isn't aggression, hunger or any kind of need to kill....it's just a toy that runs. The look on his face when he is waiting for a chipmunk to make a run is absolute joy.

Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
5,085 Posts
Aww man that sucks??? I see I've already tried to help And unless I missed it and I may have you made no mention of a cat??? If it was your cat ... that is one thing. But if it was a stray cat that is another thing?? They are dogs and if something moves fast and is small and furry ... yeah "some" dogs will kill it!!

Now dogs can tell the difference between a wild bunny a squirrel or a cat??? But if you don't have access to those animals for training and your not there?? Training that out of them is gonna be "difficult???" My dogs Struddell (Boxer) and Gunther (American Band Dawg) grew up with cats. I started with Cat rescues before I got dogs. So when they came aboard I had uh 17 cats ... I was better at keeping them than rehoming them. :)

Rocky my (problem child GSD) was a foster fail ... so I did not know, if he'd ever seen a cat??? But when we he came into "my" house ... he decided that it would be best ... not to screw with the cats!! Of course he did decide to go after my Band Daweg and uh ... people, later on so there is that. But in the long run we got it done and it worked out fine. So I earned my lumps and I share what I know ... so others don't have to learn the same lessons the hard way!!!

That said ... your wife made a mistake! And now you have a serious burden on your shoulders because if you are honest and return this dog to rescue because "uh it's not working out??" Then you have an obligation to disclose that he has bitten someone. Granted it was a minor injury but when people are looking for a rescue ... most are not looking for a bite risk dog??

There are owners like me that would "say" ... whatever no big deal. But that pool is pretty small! And I would dare say that most Boxer Rescues are pretty much incompetent in being able to deal with a dog like this???

Your gonna have to make a pretty tough call! If you disclose the dog bite someone he will most likely be PTS??? Although I can't find them here ... there are tons of Boxers in rescue out there ... that don't threaten people. No one is looking for a bite risk dog??? It is unfortunate that this happened. But unless the dog has a medical condition ... it was a simple case of user error.

Now that said ... you can still keep him if you chose. But now the first step is going to be (for the both of you, to let it go!) You can't help him, if your going to "resent him for what he did!) Been there done ... letting the past go is a thing. If you can't let it go, be honest with the rescue, tell them what happened and hope it works out??

If you want to keep him ... I still got your back! But it's gonna require a serious commitment to this dog on your part! I think you better understand now ... that this is not a dog that you can take to the family outing and let mingle freely with guest???

You did not sigh on to become "Dog Trainers" but here you are?? And I did see you say you did have a trainer coming??? Who is that guy/girl?? What are there qualifications???

Because if they don't do "Aggressive Dog" or "Speialzie in GSD's??" Your wasting your money. But hey ... even easier is ask them one question! Do you train "Place??"

Casue, if they don't as far as I'm concerned ... they'd be a waste of time and money! Others my disagree but that is how I roll. All the trainers that I follow that ... do deal with aggressive dogs, who's work I share all train the "Place Command (it trains calmness into the dog)' It's good enough for them it's good enough for me.

With my formerly H/A Over Size Working Line GSD with my permission anyone could come into my home and they would fine and then would see Rocky... camly in "Place." :)

And while I never said a word ... I made it pretty crystal clear ... that one should even think about petting him!!! But we live a quite life we don't have a lot of company and we don't have kids and there friends dropping in out of the house. If that is not you and you have lot's of friends, kids and company in and about then ... most likely this is not the dog for you???

So you'd just have to be honest with the rescue and hope for the best??? I kept my GSD ... after I discovered his people issues (seven months of no issues ... that I saw) and then the Pack Fights started?? And then after that ... "yeah, you know I don't much care for strangers either" started???

And I truly resented him for what he'd done to Gunther! And Gunther passed due to unrelated issues following the last fight ... so I had no chance to fix that. So Rocky was now by default "Top Dog." It had been five pack fights and Rocky always started them! And a trip to the ER for me for stitches from breaking up the last fight ... Rocky again!! I was "Ticked Off!!!" But ... sigh "Marilyn said ... "You either let him go or you freaking get over it! That ticked me off ... but she was of course correct?? And I felt guilt because, what if I had created this??? As he was not like this when I got him??? I'd done the same things I'd always done "with my other dogs," but it just did not work??? What if his current behaviour, was my fault??? I could not live with that guilt and so ...with a deep sigh, "I let it go!" That was eight years ago and I still remember it!!

And it was like a weight had been lifted from my shoulders!!! And at that point I stopped fighting with him and started to "out think him!" That worked out much better! And step one was for me ... well what do the Pro's do???

And at that time ... I was not looking for a "debate!" Just tell me what to do and ... "I'll do that." Outthink your dog as I call it. And I came across this : https://leerburg.com/whopetspuppy.htm

Well that made sense to me in as much as it was what I'd done with my dogs anyway ... except ... when asked to pet I'd always said "Please Do!" But what if instead I said ... "I'd rather you did not" or ... "he is in training" and he was .... he was being trained "not to bite the crap out of people!!" No one ever asked in training for what?? :)

But I did modify Leerburgh "slightly" as I put a more "aggressive spin on it," which your wife did not do. If approached I would stop usually five feet away if someone "looked like they were interested in my dog??" And in the beginning I would tell him "Stay" and I would shield him from strangers. I made it pretty clear with out saying a word, that my dog was out of bounds! Your wife ... did not do that. She gave the neighbor an "opportunity to make a choice" and the neighbor chose poorly." Crap happens but now you know ... so if you chose to keep him ... don't do that again!

Right now for whatever reason, he simply does not trust people?? FIne then he does not have to. But if he is going to be out in public, he can't be allowed to act like a tool either!! If you do chose to keep him ... getting over his uh "predictableness" is a process and it starts by walking him! Use a muzzle if you/she feels the need. I did in the beginning and once I cold better "read" Rocky displaying the ... same old "this old bit look" I dropped the muzzle, as it was no longer needed.

And as to how it ultimately turned out, as at the time I never noticed he had changed and then this happened. :

What would my dog do? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

As I said I never noticed he had changed, freaking dog had ticked me off! But no dog gets to mine without getting past me!! But "apparently" I'd done my job well and Rocky recognized a "Daddy Down" situation and stepped up?? I had not trained that specific behaviour ... it was all him. And now to this day, I follow the same philosophy for all dogs under my care. So a dog with an undisclosed "bite history" is no big deal for me?? But most likely there are not a lot of owners like me out there???

·
Registered
5,085 Posts
Tucker is 11 and has always had higher than high prey drive. I've lost count of the critters he has killed and he has never even thought about hurting a human. Below is from an old post of mine.

I've been able to teach him to listen to me but in no way have I reduced his prey drive. I don't think I ever will.

I've decided that it isn't aggression, hunger or any kind of need to kill....it's just a toy that runs. The look on his face when he is waiting for a chipmunk to make a run is absolute joy.

Good luck with your decision.
I don't see a link???

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
tydog...so sorry this happened..
Some dogs have high prey drives..I don't think y ou can train that out of them. You will need to take precautions to prevent it.
The biting...although minor but without warning...this worries me more. Again you will have to take precautions to not allow him in public without a muzzle . Chip is right, you can teach place, etc but if you turn him in more than likely he will be PTS. No one wants a dog that may bite for no reason. When I was a kid we had, yes Chip a GSD. he was my dads dog 1 person dog (when my dad was nearby) he would bite anyone who came near where they shouldn't. He lived a long life but he was never that family dog. My dad took care that he didn't bite anyone in the household. He got me once when I walked across his path dad in chair him on floor maybe 2 ft away I just walked in-between toward a window as someone pulled up in driveway. He grabbed my arm and shook it like a rag doll, ended up with 6 stitches, could have been worse. That really ended his free life in the house when anyone but my dad was present. Today there is more knowledge but I really never trusted that dog again. You ill as Chip aid have to make some tough decisions.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
A friend of mine did bird-dog rescue, and a sweet rescue of hers ended up killing her sister's cat when they went to visit. She kept the dog, and her sister finally forgave her. I know a breeder who had a Boston that killed the family's pet Chinchilla. It got into it's cage in the middle of the night. It was as though it had been planning thisw since they brought the extra pet home. When you look at Boxer Rescue information, there are many instances that say the dog is not good with cats, other animals, or maybe children under 14. Sadly, you didn't have a warning, and it's a cruel, violent thing to witness. It does happen, probably more often than you think.

The dog could have really done some damage, besides the nick. It was becoming more his territory I guess. I used to have a Boxer who mouth-butted a boy's arm when he came running at us in the park. The boy was carrying a long fishing pole, and just kept running at us. The boy had a small bruise, but there was no skin broken. They hired a lawyer, and tried to fabricate more of a story that my dog had also growled and shown his teeth before hand. A couple people testified what the real facts were, and the lawsuit was dropped. Regardless, it is very scary stuff I wouldn't want to go through again. If my dog had hurt the boy, I would have probably had to make the PTS decision myself.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Aww man that sucks??? I see I've already tried to help And unless I missed it and I may have you made no mention of a cat??? If it was your cat ... that is one thing. But if it was a stray cat that is another thing?? They are dogs and if something moves fast and is small and furry ... yeah "some" dogs will kill it!!

Now dogs can tell the difference between a wild bunny a squirrel or a cat??? But if you don't have access to those animals for training and your not there?? Training that out of them is gonna be "difficult???" My dogs Struddell (Boxer) and Gunther (American Band Dawg) grew up with cats. I started with Cat rescues before I got dogs. So when they came aboard I had uh 17 cats ... I was better at keeping them than rehoming them. :)

Rocky my (problem child GSD) was a foster fail ... so I did not know, if he'd ever seen a cat??? But when we he came into "my" house ... he decided that it would be best ... not to screw with the cats!! Of course he did decide to go after my Band Daweg and uh ... people, later on so there is that. But in the long run we got it done and it worked out fine. So I earned my lumps and I share what I know ... so others don't have to learn the same lessons the hard way!!!

That said ... your wife made a mistake! And now you have a serious burden on your shoulders because if you are honest and return this dog to rescue because "uh it's not working out??" Then you have an obligation to disclose that he has bitten someone. Granted it was a minor injury but when people are looking for a rescue ... most are not looking for a bite risk dog??

There are owners like me that would "say" ... whatever no big deal. But that pool is pretty small! And I would dare say that most Boxer Rescues are pretty much incompetent in being able to deal with a dog like this???

Your gonna have to make a pretty tough call! If you disclose the dog bite someone he will most likely be PTS??? Although I can't find them here ... there are tons of Boxers in rescue out there ... that don't threaten people. No one is looking for a bite risk dog??? It is unfortunate that this happened. But unless the dog has a medical condition ... it was a simple case of user error.

Now that said ... you can still keep him if you chose. But now the first step is going to be (for the both of you, to let it go!) You can't help him, if your going to "resent him for what he did!) Been there done ... letting the past go is a thing. If you can't let it go, be honest with the rescue, tell them what happened and hope it works out??

If you want to keep him ... I still got your back! But it's gonna require a serious commitment to this dog on your part! I think you better understand now ... that this is not a dog that you can take to the family outing and let mingle freely with guest???

You did not sigh on to become "Dog Trainers" but here you are?? And I did see you say you did have a trainer coming??? Who is that guy/girl?? What are there qualifications???

Because if they don't do "Aggressive Dog" or "Speialzie in GSD's??" Your wasting your money. But hey ... even easier is ask them one question! Do you train "Place??"

Casue, if they don't as far as I'm concerned ... they'd be a waste of time and money! Others my disagree but that is how I roll. All the trainers that I follow that ... do deal with aggressive dogs, who's work I share all train the "Place Command (it trains calmness into the dog)' It's good enough for them it's good enough for me.

With my formerly H/A Over Size Working Line GSD with my permission anyone could come into my home and they would fine and then would see Rocky... camly in "Place." :)

And while I never said a word ... I made it pretty crystal clear ... that one should even think about petting him!!! But we live a quite life we don't have a lot of company and we don't have kids and there friends dropping in out of the house. If that is not you and you have lot's of friends, kids and company in and about then ... most likely this is not the dog for you???

So you'd just have to be honest with the rescue and hope for the best??? I kept my GSD ... after I discovered his people issues (seven months of no issues ... that I saw) and then the Pack Fights started?? And then after that ... "yeah, you know I don't much care for strangers either" started???

And I truly resented him for what he'd done to Gunther! And Gunther passed due to unrelated issues following the last fight ... so I had no chance to fix that. So Rocky was now by default "Top Dog." It had been five pack fights and Rocky always started them! And a trip to the ER for me for stitches from breaking up the last fight ... Rocky again!! I was "Ticked Off!!!" But ... sigh "Marilyn said ... "You either let him go or you freaking get over it! That ticked me off ... but she was of course correct?? And I felt guilt because, what if I had created this??? As he was not like this when I got him??? I'd done the same things I'd always done "with my other dogs," but it just did not work??? What if his current behaviour, was my fault??? I could not live with that guilt and so ...with a deep sigh, "I let it go!" That was eight years ago and I still remember it!!

And it was like a weight had been lifted from my shoulders!!! And at that point I stopped fighting with him and started to "out think him!" That worked out much better! And step one was for me ... well what do the Pro's do???

And at that time ... I was not looking for a "debate!" Just tell me what to do and ... "I'll do that." Outthink your dog as I call it. And I came across this : https://leerburg.com/whopetspuppy.htm

Well that made sense to me in as much as it was what I'd done with my dogs anyway ... except ... when asked to pet I'd always said "Please Do!" But what if instead I said ... "I'd rather you did not" or ... "he is in training" and he was .... he was being trained "not to bite the crap out of people!!" No one ever asked in training for what?? :)

But I did modify Leerburgh "slightly" as I put a more "aggressive spin on it," which your wife did not do. If approached I would stop usually five feet away if someone "looked like they were interested in my dog??" And in the beginning I would tell him "Stay" and I would shield him from strangers. I made it pretty clear with out saying a word, that my dog was out of bounds! Your wife ... did not do that. She gave the neighbor an "opportunity to make a choice" and the neighbor chose poorly." Crap happens but now you know ... so if you chose to keep him ... don't do that again!

Right now for whatever reason, he simply does not trust people?? FIne then he does not have to. But if he is going to be out in public, he can't be allowed to act like a tool either!! If you do chose to keep him ... getting over his uh "predictableness" is a process and it starts by walking him! Use a muzzle if you/she feels the need. I did in the beginning and once I cold better "read" Rocky displaying the ... same old "this old bit look" I dropped the muzzle, as it was no longer needed.

And as to how it ultimately turned out, as at the time I never noticed he had changed and then this happened. :

What would my dog do? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

As I said I never noticed he had changed, freaking dog had ticked me off! But no dog gets to mine without getting past me!! But "apparently" I'd done my job well and Rocky recognized a "Daddy Down" situation and stepped up?? I had not trained that specific behaviour ... it was all him. And now to this day, I follow the same philosophy for all dogs under my care. So a dog with an undisclosed "bite history" is no big deal for me?? But most likely there are not a lot of owners like me out there???
Our cat, really the wifes cat 12 yrs old had her since she was a kitten. If we do decide to give him back to the rescue we would absolutely tell them about him bitting the neighbor. My worry would be that they don't tell any future adopters about it. Maybe he turns out to be to much to handle for someone else and they just let him go without giving him back to the rescue. They don't want to admit they bit off more than they could chew and just abandone him again. There's no way to be certain he's gonna find someone who can handle him. I knew going in it wasn't going to be easy, he's gonna have issues for us to deal with. I can accept that and move forward. I can't give him back to an unknown.

Now to convince the wife,
Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

·
Registered
5,085 Posts
Our cat, really the wifes cat 12 yrs old had her since she was a kitten. If we do decide to give him back to the rescue we would absolutely tell them about him bitting the neighbor. My worry would be that they don't tell any future adopters about it. Maybe he turns out to be to much to handle for someone else and they just let him go without giving him back to the rescue. They don't want to admit they bit off more than they could chew and just abandone him again. There's no way to be certain he's gonna find someone who can handle him. I knew going in it wasn't going to be easy, he's gonna have issues for us to deal with. I can accept that and move forward. I can't give him back to an unknown.

Now to convince the wife,
Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

First I'm gonna say in retro spec ... you did see "The " cat not "A: cat. I missed that ... my bad! That does raise the "resentment anti" to a "TEN!" For your wife and this dog!!

For her, this goes "wayyy beyond a dog problem!" So right now ... you have a "people problem also." And if your married ... it is going to be her call and her choice! I believe, the dog most likely does not have "Brain Damage??" The dog is just an A-Hole!!!

That does not mean he cannot be "salvaged!" But now you know and if you do want to salvage this dog ... it's gonna be her call ... period end of story. Your a team! And fixing him ... just won't work if one partner, wants to work with the dog and the other one does not??

To have a chance at saving him ... you are going to have to get over your "people issues" I had no first bite???"But I had ... lot's of resentment! Been there done that ... my motto is "No Dog Attacks my dog without getting past me first!!!!" But what happens if the dog that does get by you ... is your dog?? And for me Rocky did just that!! Five freaking times and I could not stop him!!!

Rocky made Gunther's Golden years miserable and he was only in our home because of me! At the time I could not stop Rocky??? He was like living with a time bomb! Most of the males in our household were crazy ... well, Me, and Rocky ... Gunther was pretty tolerant and amazing ... he did not care about the attacks, fighting dog was kinda what he was breed to do??? Marilyn and Struddell ... never got involved!

But me and Rocky and his constant attacks on Gunther ... yeah not good someone "Was" going to the ER or the Vet!! And it was going to be me or one of my Dogs!!!

Ahh well ... I was right and yeah it was me!! But it could have been worse!!! In the last battle royal ... I messed up!!! I messed up and when I dived in to grab Rocky. I messed up and my left hand landed in Gunther's mouth!!! And I felt his teeth clamping down!! I remember thinking ... "this is gonna hurt!!! But at the last second, he realized that it was not fur but flesh that he had??? And even with 116 lbs of out of control, Over Size Working Line GSD on his back ... he let go of my hand!??? I still have full use of my left today because of Gunther!! And with that break I repositioned and got that fight stopped!! I still have full use today today of my left hand today, because of Gunther's training!!

The Pro's told me that Gunther was a "Cleared Dog." Dogs that can discern threat from foe ... regardless of circumstances!!! With that unexpected break I regrouped and stopped that conflict! And got the situation under control. I also then realized the degree of "mistake I'd made with this dog ... Wl GSD?? I should have stuck with Dogs of Molosser World! Them I understood GSD's ... not so much?? But it is what is.

Gunther passed after that fight due to unrelated issues. And Rocky was thrilled and I was "PISSED!!" Rocky was now "Top Dog" by default! I'd screwed up and had made Gunther's Golden Years a living hell and now he was gone! I could now ..."NEVER" fix what I had done??? There was a lot of resentment to be found in me!!!

And that is where Marilyn, stepped in! She said "let it go" or "return him to "Dog Town Rescue!!!" That pretty much ticked me off!! But I was conflicted as Rocky was not like this when I got him ... seven months earlier??? And what if ... he was now like this because of what I'd done???

I had done with him ... that I had done with my other dogs?? But it did not work out??? The first lesson in retrospect ... that I did not understand is ... that "This Dog" is not your other dog, every dog is different???

And per "Larry Khron" Obedience Training "Will Not Fix Behavioral Issues" ... and I will add ..."Belive That!"

So there I was a dog that had made the last years of my first dogs life miserable!!! I was seriously ticked off!!! But I was conflicted ... because what if all of this crap was because of me???

Had I ruined Rocky's chance to find a more qualified home, because I kept him??? He was out of control now and had I done that??? I could not live with that level of guilty. And I am also kinda "arrogant" so I felt that "no one can solve my dogs issues better than me!!" And so with that and my wife's "pounding" ... I had no choice ..."But to Let It Go!" And doing that was actually a "physical effort!!" It happened many years ago but I still remember it!!!

And by making that choice I was now free to ... "out think my dog??" So after Rocky ... took care of his "Top Dog" issues and now reigned supreme, he then decided to go after people???

The first time I realized "I had a people issue, with my dog was at Xmas!" Company came over and Rocky locked eyes on each guest and stared at them like they were "Raw Meat???" As I think I said ... he was in "Place" although at the time I did not what that was?? And I was next to him and although he did not move ... he issued a "low rumbling growl and he locked eyes on company like they were "Raw Meat!!"" My blood ran cold!! And I remember thinking ... this dog ... is most definitely ... not a Boxer???

I was stunned but you know ... he did not move?? OK fine I don't understand the deal here?? But step one is "clearly "Hands off my dog!" And unlike most (the people thing) I considered this unexpected development an opportunity for "Pay Back!!' Becasure this "people crap" shall not stand!! No dog ... gets the best of me! So unlike most ... I considered this unexpected development the best thing that happened for Rocky and my relationship!! My thing is to KISS!" And at that ... I excel!!! Unbeknownst to me at the time ... a bit to much so??? I managed to uh ''tick off" about 85 percent of owners on line???" But "some " of the very pros online ... pretty much had my back! :)

But on open forums ... you won't find a lot of Pro's?? On GSDFORUM ... the Pros' did not do what I did all the time! Get in the face of freaking tools!! All the time!! On open forums ... everybody is an expert?? So you know who can you believe??? But you know I was me!

And I ... am JQP ... I remember where I came from and I shared what I did wrong and how I got it right! And getting it right ... was just to simple and unfortunately?? I was not "apparently " the best messenger for my message??

The vast majority of the "Pro's" did not do what I do/did?? But one did and he was a master at "internet combat" ... my bud "Lou Castle." And finally they got rid of him! And it was just a matter of time before I went one 'tool" to far?? And they came after me!!

None of the tools as I define them actually looked at "what I did??" It was a simple matter of it's "not what you say but how you say it??" That is a lesson I never learned??? So you know, I went a tool to far finally and got banned there. Nonetheless ... I did what I did for years! Lots of info I posted on aggression, is done by me and it is still on Geramnshepardforum. :)

Your problem with a Boxer ... is not the norm! There are not a lot of Boxers like yours on here?? But if you go from Breed to Dog and look at Germanshepardforum under the "Aggression Forum" cause you know Boxers are "still" working dogs!" You will find ... that you are not alone!!!

Aww well yet another long post?? Brevity is apparently ... still not my thing??? But what I am trying to say is ... I knew nothing when I had my first "dog with uh serious freaking issues??" But I figured it out! And I still say ... it's that hard and while such a dog is not a "burden" it is a serious commitment, to live with a dog that does not like people! And while my Rocky (GSD) was just never simply going to be a Struddell (Boxer.)

He was made to be safe in public and he could go everywhere with me off leash in public!! He was a serious commitment but he was not what, I first feared my "Cross to bear??" He was my greatest challenge and my biggest achievement!!!

And in a full on "Crap Happens" circumstance ... he "made good choices!" And to achieve that ... he learned to understand I had his back and I learned to understand he had mine?? Rocky (GSD)was my biggest challenge and my greatest achievement!! And I can state as a fact ... that had I given him up because "I don't need this crap" I would not be here! :)

Now if your wife and you will say the same the years from now if you keep this dog?? I can not say??

But I can say ... "been there done that" and it worked out fine, no regrets!" But I did have a warning and when I first the sign of a danger to people ... I took him at his word and from that point my "commitment was ... not one bite dog!!" Believe that and while Rocky did not bear the burden of that commitment, some tool that "tried to get in his face, would!!!"

Try to "Pet my freaking dog" over my objections?? I will tell my Dog "Down and Stay" and "WE" will have a serious freaking discussion!!! I don't play!!! If that attitude is just to much for you?? And your wife can't "let it go"" Then it would best to let the dog go??? Full disclosure of what happened and let him go. :(

But right now ... it's "people thing." If you want to move to forward and keep the dog?? I got your back! But so you know if those dogs were fighting ... "I" would not be letting both loose in the home unsupervised for at least a year!!! I don't care how they seem to behave together! Rules Structure and Limitations!

If there first instinct is not, what want would Dad want??" You have to roll hard!!A dog has to choose to "Make Good Choices." And you get there ... by showing them what you want. Been there done that ... it's not hard, I feel. But the first step for you and your wife is "now' going to bye... "letting it go" if you chose to keep him??? Pretty much that simple.

And I have to add ... "sorry for your loss." :(

I had my "issues" but ... you know GSD I suppose ... and Rocky knew ... that F'ing with these cats ... would not be good??? How he he knew that screwing with my Band Dawg would be more acceptable ... I have no idea?? He could have easily killed a Cat .and "chose not to" .. and my Band Dawg ... not so much but him ... he screwed with???

And Struddell ... well she adored Rocky ... she liked Gunther but she was head over with Rocky, no issues there ... go figure???

Oh and I have to add your dog is a rescue! And for all you know ... this dog my have very well done exactly these same things before??? And the person that gave him up ... never said?? My motto is "I don't care what a dog's issues are??" I will find them out myself and I will take zero chances in the process!

In anycase ... despite how dark things my be right now, ... you caught a break!! Because you landed here and not at "Boxerworld!" I am a member there also but I don't post anymore ... it's a waste of time! The rules you know and I can't help anyone there. You could try, if your curious but they will tell you to try crap that won't work and went it fails and it will ... they will tell you to put the dog down!!! :chair:

But thought you most likely do not realize you caught a break cause your here. :)

Dogs like yours are fairly rare on here?? Maybe three or four a year and I have been here for a few years??? But on GSDForum ... they are a dime a dozen!!! Every freaking day!!! It never stops!!!!

And by and larger there, they will always tell you with a dog such as yours ... "to find a trainer!" Now they won't tell you to find a competent, qualified trainer that could actually help you with your dog ...but that is what they say. :)

If you chose to go that route ... I think I can help??? But ... so you know "finding a trainer" ... is clearly not my thing. Cause as I am want to say ... there is always "that guy." And you know in spite of my inability to well "play well with others" ... that guy, is me. :)

They ... told me, I could not do what I have done and I would say.:

So you know tell me ... how I can't do what I;ve done and you know ... "Good Luck With That!" It's apparently not the way to win and influence but as I am want to say ... anyway ... there is always that guy. And well ... you found him.:)

I am the DIY guy. But if you chose to find a Pro I can help with that also ... it's about the Dog. But I understand where you are ... so you gonna make the call on stay or go as a family! There is no right or right it's your call as a family and there are no guarantees.
I can only tell you what I did with my "problem dog" and how it turned it out. I don't do flashy, IPO, PPD, Obedience etc, etc. I KISS and I do calm and civil dogs that I can take anywhere. :)

I actually want to do more with my next Boxer. I want her to "Get a Job!" But in order to do that ... I will have to expose to other peoples dogs for training in groups classes?? So you know that is going to be a problem for me as I don't trust other people and there dogs?? But I will cross that bridge when I come to it. :)

So you know ... make the call and let me know and again sorry for your loss ... despite my problems ... no pet's lost their life ... that will be a really tough, burden to let go of! :(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts