Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
weird question but can you bring dogs on planes with you...like inside the cabin? I ask this question because of a news story i saw on tv in which a woman tried to bring back her puppies from costa rica or somewhere from a breeder...years earlier she had gotten a pup from this same breeder and brought it back in a carry on into the cabin of the plane but air canada has changed their policy and no longer allows them in the cabin and wont ship from foreign countries until they have rabies which the news said is around 18weeks....I am just wondering if you are able to bring dogs in the cabins of planes in the US or on US airlines? Seems that canada is making it a bit hard.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I remember when I was going to get Attila they said they could fly him to me from STL, MO to Chicago but he would be in a crate during the flight in a holding area of the plane.  It would have been about 15 hours total in a crate which included travel to airport, waiting, flight, waiting, and then drive home.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Yes, we had a doxie when we first got married, and had change of home port orders to Hawaii from California and we carried her on the plane, but we had to give her to someone at the airport because she had to go into quarantine...... :(  for 4 months.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Kash came here in Aug, and he was in the cabin with the breeder.   I guess it depends on the airline.  They also must be under 24lbs to take incabin with you.    Also have to have a health certificate too.   I think this is not allowed internationally due to the fact that I think the dog needs to be shipped and held in quarantine before being allowed to enter the US.  Not to sure on that though, but do have experience with the dog / cabin with Kash.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
The only dog I have ever seen in cabin was a seeing eye dog and he was lovely, sat right next to me actually  :) Overseas flights, they have to fly cargo, Oh I know all about this..Once you have booked your dogs, no other animals can be on the same flight. A health certificate is required within 10 days of their flight as well...Coming into the states there is supposdly a 30 day quarantine, but it's not enforced....

·
Registered
263 Posts
I don't think they let dogs in the cabin anymore, my husband and I were on a flight back from Texas and a lady had a little dog in her bag and they didn't realize it until we were in mid air.  They almost landed the plane and made her get off.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
It may depend on the airline but i thought as long as the dog would fit in a carrier that fits under the seat in front of you, it is allowed.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I agree with others.. The animal has to be under a certain weight,--carrier size- health certif. , vet checked, and if it's of age.. rabies.( also I think no younger than 8 weeks old)( unless seeing eye dogs- doesn't matter of weight), it also depends on airlines and how packed the flight is.. Rodimus got to fly up with the crew to us, but normally cargo, I think.  But if you are going overseas.. every country have their own laws.  We just got back from living in Japan--Okinawa-- and they have to be READABLE microchipped, rabies vac., Reg. with military PMO, health checked, kennel cough, etc.., and they have to be quarantined when they get there( on base)  But I think there can be more than that animal on the flight( there was when we flew back and forth again angain and again..( 18 hours..yuck!!!)  not fun but well worth it!  Hope any of this rambling helps :)

·
Registered
370 Posts
We move a lot and fly a lot---Allie should have her frequent flyer miles at this point.  Seriously, though, they can fly in the cabin with you as long as they fit in a carrier under your seat, so for Boxers this can be tricky unless yours is still a puppy.  On transatlantic flights, meaning overseas flights, all dogs, regardless of size must fly in the cargo area in a crate.  They dog has to be able to stand up and turn around in the crate.  We used to fly US Airways because they were awesome with dogs, but they do not fly dogs any more.  Delta still does and they are also really great at transporting pets.  Allie was given her own boarding pass and this was given to me on each leg of our flight.  United also flys pets and they also give boarding passes.  Alitalia gives boarding passes and flys pets.  I had to switch to them in Milan and they let me keep Allie for as long possible so I could walk her, water her, and feed her.  It was great.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts